GP32 Help A Mac Os X User Start Coding!

rpgchocobo

Chocobo Tamer
Website
Visit site
First off, I am a Mac OS X 10.2.8 user. I am interested in developing for the GP32, maybe try something simple. But, i need alll the tutorials and software for mac. I looked at deadcoderssocety.com, but got kinda lost. I got the GCC3.0.4 thing. What else do I need? Please talk baby talk to me, this isvery new to me. And, I need some macintosh tutorials.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

You will need three things to get started:

1. A devkit or toolchain.
Don't use gcc 3.04. Use this one instead: http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jikorhon/conde...RM_gcc3.4.0.tgz

2. An SDK
Two choices here. The official gamepark SDK or Mr Mirko's Alternative SDK. I would recommend Mirko's SDK because it it vastly easier to use IMO.

3. An editor or IDE
This is something of a personal preference and I am relatively unfamiliar with what is available on OS X. However, anything that can edit text files should work and something with syntax highlighting for C would be best.

As for tutorials, once you get the above running, any of the standard for tutorials for writing code for the gp32 should work. The code you write for the gp32 is the same regardless of what platform you are working on.

rpgchocobo posted on Aug 6 2004 at 03:19 PM said:
Thanks for your help Dalto. But, do you have a link to Mr Mirko's SDK compatible to Mac?
I am pretty sure that the SDK is targetted for the gp32 itself so it should not matter.(I have never tested this myself due the fact that I don't have a machine capable of running OSX) But in theory, your toolchain/devkit should be the only thing that really needs to OSX specific.

Try this one:
http://home.t-online.de/home/mirkoroller/gp32/SDK085.bz2

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help:) But, how do I use the SDK? I mean, I am very new to this, so baby talk is needed. like, how do i open the SDK up and start coding and how do I use the GCC thing and the SDK together?

rpgchocobo posted on Aug 6 2004 at 03:41 PM said:
Thanks for the help:) But, how do I use the SDK? I mean, I am very new to this, so baby talk is needed. like, how do i open the SDK up and start coding and how do I use the GCC thing and the SDK together?
You just unpack the SDK anywhere you want. I usually put it inside the devkit for convenience purposes.

You also need to make it so that the OS can find your arm-elf-* binaries. In Windows and *NIX you do this by adding the bin directory from the devkit to your PATH environment variable.

Then just enter one of the example directories and under gp32_SDK and type 'make all'

It should produce a .fxe file for you. For your first effort I would recommend just modifying on the examples.

There are alos some tutorials in gp32_SDK/help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even know what program to open up and install first. Any help with that one?
There is nothing to install really. Both the SDK and the devkit just need to be uncompressed to your harddrive. The SDK is compressed with bzip2. If you can't uncompress that you need to get a copy of bzip2 for the MAC. The devkit is compressed with gzip and tar. If you can't uncompress that there is one in a .dmg if that is easier to decompress.

And, do I install anything on my GP32?
Nope

Sorry I can't be more helpful on the decompression. Maybe someone with some OSX experience could chime in?

Back