Help Installing Latest Mame Software

slipstream

Still Fresh
Hi all, is there an idiots step by step guide to installing the mame software onto the gp2x. I am a Robotron fan and need to install the williams set but cannot find any instructions anywhere.

PS: Can a link be provided to the latest mame software?

many thanks, Keith

you can get the latest version here : http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

as to install it, just copy the mamegp2x folder from the zip file to your sd card.

then make sure u get your hands on a 0.34 romset (new roms will most likely not work, i had a up to date romset with the pc mame version, and used the clrmame.dat file and still ended up with only 50% of the games working) and place the roms in roms subdirectory
and that's basicly it, you then start mamegp2x and you choise the game u wish to start.

joyrider posted on Jul 20 2006 at 10:48 AM said:
you can get the latest version here : http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

as to install it, just copy the mamegp2x folder from the zip file to your sd card.

then make sure u get your hands on a 0.34 romset (new roms will most likely not work, i had a up to date romset with the pc mame version, and used the clrmame.dat file and still ended up with only 50% of the games working) and place the roms in roms subdirectory
and that's basicly it, you then start mamegp2x and you choise the game u wish to start.
Joyrider, thankyou very much mate, much appreciated. I did read the read me file but no instructions in terms of installing. Hopefully the next time you hear from me is to say all is fine, but please standby just in case. PS: I am in southern Afghanistan at the moment with the Army and I really need something to relieve the boredom during down time. Thanks again mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once it's dragged to your SD card it's installed. You only have to put your roms into the roms folder. Start the GP2X, select Game, then find the mamegp2x folder on your SD card. There are 3 versions of the emulator in the mamegp2x folder: mame_gp2x, mame_gp2x_compatible, and mame_gp2x_fast. I usually use the regular mame_gp2x and it works great with most games (edit: most games that I play), including Robotron.

On the settings screen I recommend using these settings:

GP2X Clock 200 MHz
Frame-Skip = 0
Video Clock 100%
Audio Clock 100%

Controller Configuration (for Robotron):

FIRE01 = BUTTON A
FIRE02 = BUTTON Y
FIRE03 = BUTTON X
FIRE04 = BUTTON B

make sure to select 'save configuration' afterwards.

The first time you run a Williams game like Robotron, you have to press Select and Start together (reset) to advance after starting up.

Good luck.

Bleeg posted on Jul 21 2006 at 03:22 AM said:
Once it's dragged to your SD card it's installed. You only have to put your roms into the roms folder. Start the GP2X, select Game, then find the mamegp2x folder on your SD card. There are 3 versions of the emulator in the mamegp2x folder: mame_gp2x, mame_gp2x_compatible, and mame_gp2x_fast. I usually use the regular mame_gp2x and it works great with most games (edit: most games that I play), including Robotron.

On the settings screen I recommend using these settings:

GP2X Clock 200 MHz
Frame-Skip = 0
Video Clock 100%
Audio Clock 100%

Controller Configuration (for Robotron):

FIRE01 = BUTTON A
FIRE02 = BUTTON Y
FIRE03 = BUTTON X
FIRE04 = BUTTON B

make sure to select 'save configuration' afterwards.

The first time you run a Williams game like Robotron, you have to press Select and Start together (reset) to advance after starting up.

Good luck.
Bleeg, thankyou also, this will help me no end. I was just wondering if the configuration allows diagonal firing in Robotron like the original. I mean by pressing the right and bottom keys together you fire diagonal bottom right (south east) etc etc. Being able to fire diagonal in this game is critical. I cannot find the .34 romset anywahere and want the legal set if possible. Could anyone pm me with a link? Thanks Guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bleeg. Did you recieve my PM? I have not heard from you thats all. Maybe you sent an email but my junk filter deleted it. Many thanks, Keith

I joined globalroms and paid 10 pounds for my trouble and have not recieved any password from them which is not good. I am after robotron, defender, centipede, scramble .34 roms. If anyone can help my email is ksandy501@hotmail.com

Globalroms state that all of their roms are legal. Has anybody else had problems with this site?

Back