Help Remote Debugging

Dave18

Hi

I'm fed up keep having to transfer files to the SD card and rebooting the Wiz everytime I want to test a build and some searching suggests I should be able to open a Wiz shell on my PC and copy the files and execute them remotely.

Most of the topics about this expect a certain knowledge of linux which I don't have so I was hoping to get some intructions that an idiot using windows (Vista) can follow. I've read the gp2x wiki but as the wiz doesn't have the usb networking build into the firmware it doesn't apply directly.

Here's what I've done so far.

On the Wiz I've copied usbnet and dropbear onto the sd card. I boot the Wiz, connect it the my PC using the stock usb cable. Turn USB host on in the options. Run NetworkUp.gpe from usbnet.

I was expecting Windows to recognise the Wiz here and start installing drivers but nothing.

I ran dropbear_start.gpe anyway and then run PuTTy on the PC. I've tried connecting to 10.0.0.2 port 24 under both telnet and ssh and I just get a black window that times out (which doesn't surprise me as I don't think the usbnet is set up properly).

When I run either NetworkUp.gpe or Dropbear_start.gpe I just get the black loading screen and then it drops back to the main Wiz menu. Is this what is supposed to happen or should I be seeing a message saying the programs are running properly.

Any help (preferably in words on one syllable so I can understand) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Usbgadget driver didn't work on windows for wiz (http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50557-g-ether-rndis-windoze/), also if your Wiz firmware is greater than 1.1.0 rev222 usbnetwork won't work, you will have to use usbserial

Last edited by a moderator:
if you're on windows 7 - 64 bit you are more or less screwed. the usb gadget drivers neither for network nor serial work. the only solution is to use the demo drivers i've posted somewhere in the forum for serial connection (limited time demo) or to use the wireless adapter stuff (requires soldering your own adapter).

If you can at least get the serial stuff working, you can copy this GP2X version of GDB to your SD or NAND and use it to debug, it will work fine. When the message about missing pthread stuff pops up, just issue the command c for continue.

Thanks for the replies. I am using firmware 1.2.1 so it looks as if USB isn't an option and it seems you have to create your own serial connection lead. Looks like I'm stuck with constantly swapping SD cards (or using SDL).

Go for the soldering your own extension cable option with serial out and usb host for wlan stick usage.
I have done that too and it wasn't that hard - I am not skilled in soldering.
It works so much better than the serial over usb as it only did work 1 out of 5 tries
where a try required a wiz reboot for me.
If you just want to use USB host there may be no soldering required, just replug the pins in the extension cable.
Then you can use a ssh connection to debug with a working wlan stick.

I use a cheap msi wlan 11n "US300EX lite" stick (15 Euro) with a WPA connection without any problems and copy
my files from my linux box via dropbear/scp to the wiz.
Its only usefull if you have a wlan connection available ;-)

Back