Help Unbricking

Schenley

Still Fresh
Looks like I bricked my GP2x. I tried following DJ Willis' unbricking guide, but it never gets past the black logo screen. I've tried four different SD cards to no avail.

Any ideas? Are there any unbricking services? Does GPH do repairs?

I was trying to update from 2.0.0 to 2.1.1 and it got stuck on the "firmware updating" screen FOREVER...

I turned it off and now I'm in the prediciment I've described...

Where did you buy your GP2X from? http://www.gp2x.co.uk are good for repairs, just email or phone them and they'll give you an address to send it to. Of course there's a charge but then they tend to be pretty qucik and the price is usually quite good.

I don't remember... I got it when it was first available, from an American source. (I'm in the US). Am I still better off sending it to the UK?

I don't f*cking believe it <_< mines just bit the big one too :angry:

I couldn't get certain SDL games to work, so I downgraded to 2.00 (from 2.01) without a hitch.

Then when I tried to upgrade it again to 2.0.1, I came across the same problems that other people have had. It says that the firmware is a different one to what actually loads up on the computer.
I then tried to update to 2.1.1 & it all went Pete Tong :(

Now my machine doesn't even show the loading screens. It's just black all the time, even though the power lights on. There's not even any sound either.

GPH should just open up the firmware completely, rather than keep it closed & do a half arsed job with it :angry:

Actually the firmware is half open, but all of it stinks of ass.

I have some ideas I could try, but I would need the following:

* DSL (33k modem sucks)
* A expendable (read cheap and half broken) GP2X
* a large, pulsating brain.

I'm not sure that this will solve the problem but it sounds similar to a problem that I have experienced. If you want to upgrade the firmware you need to go sequentially through them. First you have to have firmware 2.0.0 working. The subsequent firmware doesn't contain all the info needed to complete the full update / correct file problems you will notice the difference in file size. Then you can try Firmware 2.1.0 and 2.1.1 sequentially. I hope this helps.

I'm not sure that this will solve the problem but it sounds similar to a problem that I have experienced. If you want to upgrade the firmware you need to go sequentially through them. First you have to have firmware 2.0.0 working. The subsequent firmware doesn't contain all the info needed to complete the full update / correct file problems you will notice the difference in file size. Then you can try Firmware 2.1.0 and 2.1.1 sequentially. I hope this helps.
That's what I did, but it resulted in bricking :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back