Help with a 3G modem

asimov-solensan

Very Active Member
The device is a huawei k3765. It works on my linux laptop with the module "option".

On the pandora the module is not loaded automatically but if I force with modprobe.

Code:
pandora:/home/asimov# lsmod|grep option

option				 16294 0

usb_wwan			 8385 1 option

usbserial			 25397 2 option,usb_wwan

pandora:/home/asimov#

Can't see anything strange in dmesg

Code:
[ 122.499084] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial

[ 122.499206] USB Serial support registered for generic

[ 122.501159] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic

[ 122.501190] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core

[ 122.519592] USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)

[ 122.521484] usbcore: registered new interface driver option

[ 122.521514] option: v0.7.2:USB Driver for GSM modems

Still the network manager says that can't find any mobile broadband device.

The topics I have found about this in the forum talk about other modems and are a bit old. Someone suggests to install modem-manager but this is included in this image (superzaxxon 1.52) or at least it appears as a command.

Just found this when running modem-manager --debug

Code:
pandora:/home/asimov# modem-manager --debug

** (modem-manager:2864): WARNING **: Could not acquire the org.freedesktop.ModemManager service as it is already taken. Return: 3

Don't know what to try now, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

The error message from modem-manager probably isn't the issue - modem-manager is already running at bootup (it's started by NetworkManager), so it's the already running instance that's taken the org.freedesktop.ModemManager service.

I tried with my old 3g dongle that I used to use and I can't get it to work either. It used to be the case that it would mount a virtual CD drive, I would eject it, then the network would come up. Now the CD drive doesn't come up. If I do "Toggle USB Host" I get a bunch of I/O errors in dmesg about /dev/sr0, but there's still nothing to eject.

So I'm guessing that the problem is that the dongle is still stuck in "virtual CD drive mode" and can't be put in "modem mode" in order for modem-manager to be able to see it.

It may be the same problem or something very similar. I also can see how the virtual CD-rom is detected but I don't have any errors when disabling USB, can't see this device mounted anywhere.

As you see the problem seems to be the modem/cd mode is not handled correctly.

I have found how to disable the cd-mode in the modem. You can disable it if you access to it via serial port.

If you want to try it do this from a linux machine.

1· Connect USB modem.

2· Assure that concole port has been added

Code:
ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 may 4 20:53 /dev/ttyUSB0

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 1 may 4 20:53 /dev/ttyUSB1

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 2 may 4 20:49 /dev/ttyUSB2
3·Identify the port you are going to connect to and it's options.

Code:
wvdialconf create

4·Connect using any serial port software. If you are still in linux minicom will do the work. On most cases you only need to change the port and it's speed.

5·Once connected you just need to run one of the following commands:

Code:
AT^U2DIAG=0 - the device is only Modem

AT^U2DIAG=1 - device is in modem mode + CD ROM

AT^U2DIAG=255 - the device in modem mode + CD ROM + Card Reader

AT^U2DIAG=256 - the device in modem mode + Card Reader

This will change the modem behaviour permanently. And there are a lot of things that can be modified this way.

Now the pandora detects it inmediatly as a modem.

Still my connection does not work. I have set the options exactly like my laptop, both use the same network manager but on the pandora the connection always fail. I hope you have better luck.

Now I need to know where are the logs for the network connection.

Back