Helper script

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
I'm just going though the returns pile and I've noticed a significant number of units could have easily been fixed by

the user had they know how (sometimes they don't post on the forum).

I've got a little idea for a helper script which could run on the server which would be a series of questions and answers to

try to help common issues.

Eg: Will your Pandora boot?

No.

Try battery, Start and power/ start right shoulder and power etc.

But obviously more detailed.

This could probably be done in perl/python/java.

^ Indeed. That said, that won't help if those affected don't come to the forums to begin with. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
it's the same PND case, problems would be lessened if little info was provided (a pdf, txt, piece of paper would definitely help). Maybe the new mods could help copy/pasting collected tweaks and workarounds.

Hi

I will give that my vote :)

Gah, excuse me. I just realised that I thoroughly misread what Alerino said. :lol: My apologies.

As Cas says, that's got my vote, too. I certainly don't mind helping to compile (or even just rewriting in plain English) some of that stuff.

I'm just going though the returns pile and I've noticed a significant number of units could have easily been fixed by

the user had they know how (sometimes they don't post on the forum).

I've got a little idea for a helper script which could run on the server which would be a series of questions and answers to

try to help common issues.

Eg: Will your Pandora boot?

No.

Try battery, Start and power/ start right shoulder and power etc.

But obviously more detailed.

This could probably be done in perl/python/java.

Hi

This is a good idea, but as Prometheus says, they have to come here in the very first instance, could this forums

address be included in the Pandora packaging ?

If they are having a problem with their Pandora (not booting, constant rebooting, black screen, heavy CPU load, etc...) how exactly will they run a helper script to walk them through some simple troubleshooting? :p

If this is to be a web based script, that would require they come online to look it up, but if they're not visiting the official help forums, I'm not certain they'll find an online helper script useful either.

Before trying to figure out what you want to tell people, would it be useful to figure out how to tell them first?

Craig, what's the RMA process like right now? Does your team have some basic trouble shootings they go through before initiating the RMA, or is it automatically given when a user requests one? Would this helper script be as much for your office trouble shooting as it is for the end users?

A step by step troubleshooting guide would certainly be great for those who read it and to anyone doing Pandora support. A repository of precious knowledge to people who like to mess around with configurations at the very least.

For others...

Before trying to figure out what you want to tell people, would it be useful to figure out how to tell them first?

Craig, what's the RMA process like right now? Does your team have some basic trouble shootings they go through before initiating the RMA, or is it automatically given when a user requests one? Would this helper script be as much for your office trouble shooting as it is for the end users?
That's exactly what I thought. How did they get a Return Merchandise Authorization if they had not been guided through a first interactive/email troubleshooting routine that would have eliminated most of them? (exception being where the user is too clueless to follow step by step instructions) Sounds like a potential waste of perfectly good "virgin" Pandoras (if exchange sent). :(

If they are having a problem with their Pandora (not booting, constant rebooting, black screen, heavy CPU load, etc...) how exactly will they run a helper script to walk them through some simple troubleshooting? :p

If this is to be a web based script, that would require they come online to look it up, but if they're not visiting the official help forums, I'm not certain they'll find an online helper script useful either.

They just send you a form to fill out, print and attach with the package.

Drop them an email to a troubleshooting wiki page.

Include: Have you tried the forum? <there will be newbies so some guidance is needed>

That there should probably be the first thing to change then. Every company I've had to RMA something to, you need to tell them why you're sending it in before they'll give you a number for just the reason that they may be able to troubleshoot the problem first. If no troubleshooting is going on to begin with, it doesn't matter if you've got the most complete script in the world that can solve every problem: no one will look at it.

That there should probably be the first thing to change then. Every company I've had to RMA something to, you need to tell them why you're sending it in before they'll give you a number for just the reason that they may be able to troubleshoot the problem first. If no troubleshooting is going on to begin with, it doesn't matter if you've got the most complete script in the world that can solve every problem: no one will look at it.
This. Craig's idea of a helper script is a good one and should be implemented, but it would make the most sense to make it a part of the RMA authorization process that users have to go through before they can send their unit back. There's no reason to be unfriendly about it, though. For example:

"We're sorry to hear that you're having difficulty with your Open Pandora and we really want to help you resolve this. Before you spend the time and money to mail it back to us, however, why don't we work together for a moment to make sure this isn't one of those problems that can be fixed with just a little online help? Please choose the problem below that most closely matches the problem you are having and follow the instructions as they appear and, if that doesn't solve the problem, then we'll get you that RMA number so you can get your Open Pandora fixed or replaced under warrantee."

Include: Have you tried the forum? <there will be newbies so some guidance is needed>

Or a (link/email/default browser homepage) to the Pandora Bookmark and I will start a Troubleshooting section and include ALL relevant links, starting with the WIKI.

Just a thought.

Cheers, Middo

Ahahahahaha I love the way some of you think all people actually follow the returns procedure!

If only it was really like that, if only we didn't just get units stuffed in jiffy bags without any indication of what's wrong on a regular basis.

My idea is to have this script paced very prominently on the main Pandora page and to include the url in very big writing on the Pandora invoice, manual AND on the battery compartment sticker, and for us to work together with the questions and answer set up to try to cover everything we can, maybe even including videos.

Hahaha, seriously?

Hard to imagine people being so careless with an RMA procedure after such a long wait for their unit.

If my unit would break down I would do everything to smoothen the procedure such that I would get a replacement ASAP.

Hahaha, seriously?

Hard to imagine people being so careless with an RMA procedure after such a long wait for their unit.

If my unit would break down I would do everything to smoothen the procedure such that I would get a replacement ASAP.

If only, we have always had that situation going back to the GP32. I don't understand it either, but we can change it!

Ahahahahaha I love the way some of you think all people actually follow the returns procedure!
Yeah, I'm aware, ED has mentioned it before as well, people just sending it in with a "problem" that was entirely user error. Just trying to temper expectations here, hit the problems you can solve (like the people that do understand there exists a process) and hope the ones you have no direct control over follow. If they don't realize there's a procedure to follow, they're probably not even trying to do any research, so odds are very slim that no matter where you put this helper script, they still won't follow it. Just saying, eh.

As mentioned, the tips and tricks sticky in the support forum is probably the best place to start. I think all the known problems and their solutions end up there, and it's already quite well formatted.

Or a (link/email/default browser homepage) to the Pandora Bookmark and I will start a Troubleshooting section and include ALL relevant links, starting with the WIKI.

Just a thought.

Cheers, Middo

While I believe these are good ideas, and should be implemented, I also believe Craigix is correct that a script that will hold the users hand, and guide them to a solution in simple language would be a lot more effective. The forums and even the wiki represent a mass of information that can be daunting to someone who just wants something to work and doesn't understand why it isn't working the way they think it should.

Perhaps make it so that when someone sends an RMA request, they are sent link to the script, (with an appropriate introduction as Taylor-MadeAK suggested) and then in cases where RMA is actually required or troubleshooting fails, have the script provide a button to automatically request a short description of the problem, and send it, along with the details of the troubleshooting sequences recommended by the script, to initiate the next stage of the process.

- Neelix

Just a thought.

Cheers, Middo

While I believe these are good ideas, and should be implemented, I also believe Craigix is correct that a script that will hold the users hand, and guide them to a solution in simple language would be a lot more effective. The forums and even the wiki represent a mass of information that can be daunting to someone who just wants something to work and doesn't understand why it isn't working the way they think it should.

Perhaps make it so that when someone sends an RMA request, they are sent link to the script, (with an appropriate introduction as Taylor-MadeAK suggested) and then in cases where RMA is actually required or troubleshooting fails, have the script provide a button to automatically request a short description of the problem, and send it, along with the details of the troubleshooting sequences recommended by the script, to initiate the next stage of the process.

- Neelix

We have two issues. 1) keeping it simple, almost automatic, for the end-user and 2) getting it help solve simple hardware faults that would stop the script from running. (what WizardStan said).

So on-box script, yes, but with some form of simple web based help too.

Can we not have a clearly laid out troubleshooting homepage (on say, www.openpandora.org/help)? Primary option leads to step-by-step interactive Q&A session (CGI), but wiki and other links could be there too.

Lots of server-side work!

Just a thought.

Cheers, Middo

- Neelix

We have two issues. 1) keeping it simple, almost automatic, for the end-user and 2) getting it help solve simple hardware faults that would stop the script from running. (what WizardStan said).

So on-box script, yes, but with some form of simple web based help too.

Can we not have a clearly laid out troubleshooting homepage (on say, www.openpandora.org/help)? Primary option leads to step-by-step interactive Q&A session (CGI), but wiki and other links could be there too.

Lots of server-side work!

Sounds like a simple on-line flow chart would suffice.

Back