Hheretic And Hhexen

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Im just about finished with the ports. I fixed the last major bug. Im still finalizing controls.
If anyone has played this throughly, are the fly/swim directions needed? If they are critical I will have to use a button as modifier.

Sounds cool, thanks for porting these. I don't remember about the flying but I would assume there would be areas that you can't get to without it and may interfere with finishing. As a precaution I would at least make it so we can assign these to some button or combo.

Pickle said:
Im just about finished with the ports. I fixed the last major bug. Im still finalizing controls.
If anyone has played this throughly, are the fly/swim directions needed? If they are critical I will have to use a button as modifier.

Thanks Pickle for porting these games!

About flying, I do not remember if that was possible in Heretic, but in Hexen there was an artifact that allowed you to fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
hheretic is done, it took a while to get the weapon changing done. I dont own the retail versions (would like to for testing), so i dont know if the weapon changing works for all the weapons.
Almost all buttons are remappable in the game. Look at the readme.

http://dl.openhandhe...?0,0,0,0,30,257

Edit: Dont try to remap, the key will always be tab, i have a fix coming

A few bugs and recommendations:
Heretic is based off Doom. The fire button should at default be , and open should be [A].
There is a black bar with distorted text that says "Loading..." at the bottom of the screen, and it does not go away even if the screen size is changed.

Other than that, the game is fine.

chickendung said:
A few bugs and recommendations:
Heretic is based off Doom. The fire button should at default be , and open should be [A].
There is a black bar with distorted text that says "Loading..." at the bottom of the screen, and it does not go away even if the screen size is changed.

Other than that, the game is fine.

theres always going to be a black bar, I see about clearing it to black. Im running gmenu2x so this didnt happen.

chickendung said:
Why can't you use the scaling used for prBoom to eliminate the black bar? When I adjusted the window size in prBoom, the screen got shorter, making a black bar show up on the bottom of the screen.

cause this isnt prboom. This port is based more on the original source than prboom is, no support was added for multiple resolutions.
Heres a test version, let me know if the black bar is black

pickle.gp2x.de/hheretic.zip

Also includes fixes for music, buttons can remapped (but dont change use) unless you want that action to occur any time you invoke the multiple button mapping.

Pickle said:
chickendung said:
Why can't you use the scaling used for prBoom to eliminate the black bar? When I adjusted the window size in prBoom, the screen got shorter, making a black bar show up on the bottom of the screen.

cause this isnt prboom. This port is based more on the original source than prboom is, no support was added for multiple resolutions.
Heres a test version, let me know if the black bar is black

pickle.gp2x.de/hheretic.zip

Also includes fixes for music, buttons can remapped (but dont change use) unless you want that action to occur any time you invoke the multiple button mapping.

Thanks for the quick update! The black bar is still there, but the distorted loading text is gone! Music is great too.

Thanks again Pickle!

Thanks for the update Pickle.
It's a lot better with the music, shame about the black bar! (If the bar has to stay, could it be split between the bottom & the top, giving a widescreen effect?)
There's one other thing I have noticed, if you've set the screen size so you can see the status bar, when you go to the options then back to the game, some of the options screen text stays on the status bar.
Apart from this, another excellent port. :)

Neil L said:
Thanks for the update Pickle.
It's a lot better with the music, shame about the black bar! (If the bar has to stay, could it be split between the bottom & the top, giving a widescreen effect?)
There's one other thing I have noticed, if you've set the screen size so you can see the status bar, when you go to the options then back to the game, some of the options screen text stays on the status bar.
Apart from this, another excellent port. :)

ok there an update to the ftp file above. Added the split black bar mode.
I have seen the status bar not being refreshed, I dont really have a fix for it. I think its bug with the engine itself and not anything i changed.

Hi Pickle,

Thank you VERY MUCH, I was waiting for a heretic port to come for months, and well, don't know if you remember I sent you a MP years ago asking for heretic for the GP32 haha! those were the times...

Well, the port is great, but I've noticed a kind of fail with the Y button... is like it's always pressed, I mean, when I try to open a door it won't open, I have to press the button a lot of times. I changed the Y button for shoot, and in the game shoots like if I had the button pressed. When I press it a lot of times it stops shooting, if I press it again it starts shooting nonstop again. I thought it was my Wiz, but I've tried emus and other things and the button is fine.

Oh, and the thing you have done with the black bars looks really nice! I wish this could be done to the rise of the triad port too!

Well thank you again, you rule!

EDIT: Btw, how do I get timidity to work? I've been trying for months (seriously) but I can't. I feel like an idiot lol

Here's a post I posted on the Warcraft thread about getting timidity to work:

Neil L said:
For the music, copy the timidity.cfg from the timidity folder (which should be in the root of the SD card) into the Warcraft folder. (The one with the Warcraft.gpe in)
Edit this copied .cfg file and add the first line (the one in bold), not forgetting the space:

dir /mnt/sd/timidity/
# I've tweaked the amps pretty well, they should sound pretty good as they are.........................

You should now have music. :)
The same goes for other games that use Timidity (prboom etc.)

Cheers, Neil

Edit: Here's the link for Timidity: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/timidity/timidity.tar.gz

Just follow these instructions but you don't have to copy the 'timidity.cfg' file as it's already included with hheretic. (But you do have to edit it!)

Cheers, Neil

Okay real archive is updated, door opening should work better again. All the same changes have been made the hhexen, although there one hack that will prevent looking down. For some reason sending a key 2 would make the player looks down (though it was keypad 2?), so i just turned looking down to off. We dont need it anyway.

hheretic: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,257
hhexen: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,258

Thanks for the ports, Pickle. :)
The black border doesn't look so obvious now. (Any chance of fixing this on ROTT?)
Is there any way the 'Deathkings Of The Dark Citadel' expansion pack could be run on hhexen?
Cheers, Neil

ROTT has now been updated ( http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,32 ), it now looks a lot better.
Use timidity again to get the music.
Thank you Pickle. :)

Hey,

Amazing work you're doing pickle, hexen was one of my beloved old games too :)

But I can't get it to work, it freezes at the wiz loading screen, when you start hhexen.gpe

EDIT: My bad, I had a corrupt wad. It is working now :)

Neil L said:
The black border doesn't look so obvious now. (Any chance of fixing this on ROTT?)
Is there any way the 'Deathkings Of The Dark Citadel' expansion pack could be run on hhexen?

rott probably can be changed, not going to happen real soon though.
the exp pack I think should work, a different script is needed. Im doing all my testing off the shareware versions.

I saw heretic, hexen 1 and 2 are on steam for $10, anyone bought through steam? Are the wads accessible?

Back