High Framerate Handheld Movies.

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
I bought a clie TH55 PDA off ebay a couple of weeks ago. The seller put it on at 85 quid buy it now. Doh! Snapped it up. A mint one with a 20 quid metal case went the following day for 170 hehe. Mine isn't mint but it's in good nick and more importantly the screen is perfect.

Anyway the thing is I've been pissing around with virtual dub and have managed to get stereo sound full framerate 320 x 240 movies even with lots of movement. The end result is superb. Almost as good as a portable DVD player I kid you not.

I can't wait for the GP2x. 512mb SD cards go for less than 20 quid now which is way cheaper than the fortune you have to bung out for sony Memory sticks. If the GP2x is as good as the clie and there's no reason it shouldn't be then those of us who love portable movies are in for a hell of a treat.

I certainly hope so, because that's one of the major reasons I pre-ordered a 2X! 4Gb cards (when they become readily available) will be ideal for storing movies, and with the TV-out it should be a very useful little machine indeed.

OMG how much are 4 gig cards?

EDIT: Hehe just realise you didn't say you'd ordered two 4 gig cards :p

It looked like you ordered 2X 4 Gb cards to my tired old eyes :D

Believe me, I tried! But they're horrendously expensive right now (think in figures north of $200) because they've not really made it over the Pacific yet. But they will come down in price eventually, at which point I'll probably snap one up exclusively for GP2X movie playback (my current 1Gb card should be fine for games and stuff).

BaDToaD posted on Oct 7 2005 at 10:35 PM said:
I If the GP2x is as good as the clie and there's no reason it shouldn't be then those of us who love portable movies are in for a hell of a treat.

I don't think the clie has any decoding hardware right? Plus the speed is only 125 MHz max.

I would expect the GP2X to smoke it in terms of video playback. It has a much faster CPU and has much more video decoding muscle thanks to the second core.

Last edited by a moderator:
BaDToaD posted on Oct 7 2005 at 11:35 PM said:
I bought a clie TH55 PDA off ebay a couple of weeks ago. The seller put it on at 85 quid buy it now. Doh! Snapped it up. A mint one with a 20 quid metal case went the following day for 170 hehe. Mine isn't mint but it's in good nick and more importantly the screen is perfect.

Anyway the thing is I've been pissing around with virtual dub and have managed to get stereo sound full framerate 320 x 240 movies even with lots of movement. The end result is superb. Almost as good as a portable DVD player I kid you not.

I can't wait for the GP2x. 512mb SD cards go for less than 20 quid now which is way cheaper than the fortune you have to bung out for sony Memory sticks. If the GP2x is as good as the clie and there's no reason it shouldn't be then those of us who love portable movies are in for a hell of a treat.
ya i can get full framerate at 156-166mhz on my gp32 and full framerate and and great quality at 180mhz on my gp32 blu. actually when you think about it gp2x is 200mhz and gp32 at 180 mhz (mien can do 200). Hmmmm the gpx2 must have that decoding stuff you said with the second core working over time for it to work better than gp32.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Clie quality is quite a bit above the quality of the GP32. The TH55 does have a sony 2d engine in it. The end result is that with a couple of additional bits of software and codecs from another clie model the TH55 can play full screen, full 30 FPS framerate 480x320 768kbps files in sony Quicktime MOV format. This is an MPEG4 type of codec but unfortunately the conversion software doesn't allow you enough control over the process so apparently you end up with huge files.

I'd rather tweak things until I get a nice compromise between quality and size. The 320x240 files I have created scale up nicely to full screen 480x320 and the excellent freeware TCPMP player includes the option to tweak the output in all sorts of ways so everything looks nice.

EDIT: PS Sam I'd like a copy of your Virtual Dub .vcf file to play with as I can only get about 18-20 FPS on my GP32 at 166 320x240 well at least on anything with a fair amount of movement in it.

i believe i use wide screen at about 320*192 or 172 also i have not converted anything for ages! ill make a new one later and try and get the settigns jsut right again. i either used xvid or the real magic codec cant remember which.

Back