Sound Distortion on Movies

NightStar

I've encoded quite a few movies, and the sound is good (As is the movie), but I still have trouble with the audio being just a little distorted - Even at it's highest setting in Virtual Dub (That can be used on the GP32)...

It sounds like computer 'bleeping' in the background... Does anyone else hear sound-interference in their audio tracks? (Mainly when using headphones!)

Also - Has anyone managed to get a good brighness setting that doesn't wash out bright scenes, but makes dark scenes viewable? (Matrix, Starship troopers, etc) - I've used some of the settings in the forums, but if I make the dark areas brighter, then anything light is too bright!?

Hmmmm....do you download movies? If you do, there may be a problem with the download. I use DVD's and downloaded, but I don' t care for poor sound.

I guess you make the movie brighter using the Brightness/Contrast filter.
But this filter changes the overall brightness, as you already found out.
You need to change the gamma curve, and you can do that with the "levels" filter.
Just fiddle around a bit and make a preview, you'll soon find out how to change the brightness without changing the maximum value for white.

You lose a bit of contrast, though, but you can't do anything about that.

EvilDragon - Thanks. I'll have a look at the "Levels" filter and see what it does.

As far as movies go, I convert them from DVD originals... But I can't make a movie without funny "bleeping" in the background...

Sounds like interference from Hard disk - I get that on some audio if I turn the sound up REALLY loud... but then you are ripping the sound from the DVD... so what would cause it there? I don't know.

Do you get the beeps on the GP32, or just on the PC when you play the movie back?

Goatboy (What a name!?) :) - That's a good question. I've got the converted AVI still on my HDD so will check to see if there's any funny sounds from that... It might be the way I'm "copying" and converting the DVD that might be at fault - Will have to check.

I had some scragly audi at first, but I was using 24 kbit audio, so I changed it to 32 and you might try checkibg "high quality audio" or something.

I had some scragly audi at first, but I was using 24 kbit audio, so I changed it to 32 and you might try checkibg "high quality audio" or something.
Thanks - I'll see what I can get it to do.

BTW - Is everyone else encoding the same way? I.E.

1) Rip DVD
2) Use DVD2AVI - Dummy AVI File
3) Use VFAPIConv - Sound file
4) Virtualdub

?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back