High Res Texture Packs In N64 Emu

^ Agreed
Lets just see how well it turns out when released before talking about anything like that.

I know...Do not take me for a n00b, I know that what I am asking is way ahead of the game. Mainly I am interested in why exactly Daedalus does not support replacement textures on psp. Lack of memory? Not fast enough? Game-specific speed hacks break it? It would be nice to at least know why they are problematic.

palmertech said:
I know...Do not take me for a n00b, I know that what I am asking is way ahead of the game. Mainly I am interested in why exactly Daedalus does not support replacement textures on psp. Lack of memory? Not fast enough? Game-specific speed hacks break it? It would be nice to at least know why they are problematic.
my guess is that the higher rez textures wouldnt be all that noticable on the psp's screen anyway (low resolution, small size).
i doubt it would slow down the emulation much, but i also doubt anyone would go to the trouble to implement it.
as far as i know, there is only one plugin that supports it... and have any texture packs actually been finished yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would rather have a filter. Project64 has one built in. Makes the games pretty...

Oh god the person who put that skin on Mario 64 needs to be shot and same for the next retexture (pic 7), it doesn't even look any better!

Screw the ability to retexture, as long as I can actually play Mario 64 (the way it should be played) I will be over the moon, I might just bear hug someone and splash some money in Zod's way.

At 800x480!!!!!!!!!! Are you serious?????

The PSP has even less resolution than the Pandora. Don't be dumb. It isn't supported because the emu isn't even full-speed on Mario64, only in a couple tiny areas where it has enough processing power.

Do you seriously believe that high-res textures will do any good on a screen this small?

I agree with the crap skins sentiment, they ruin the feel of a retro game.

That aside, no there isn't any memory for this kind of shenanigans, maybe on a small scale, but I am sure on-the-fly texture filtering will be fine for this system.

S-Video output will also not benefit hardly at all from upgraded textures.

Everything else aside (see above), we're still not sure the 64 will work in any respectable way. Let's leave the 'nice to haves' for after, and focus on supporting the developers getting the basics implemented.

Yes, there are many nice things to have (multi player for example).

Perhaps a forum (or sticky topic) for that should be implemented. A wish list, so we can avoid them in the 'here and now reality' forums.

palmertech said:
Yes, I know, it is not even close to being out. But does Zodttd plan on having support for high resolution texture packs? Or just new texture packs in general? Something like here: http://nintendo.about.com/od/editorials/ig...odding.--48.htm
Daedalus for PSP did not work with retextured roms, and I think that any support for them would be pretty awesome. Thoughts?

I actually asked zodttd about this exact issue the day that he announced he was going to do the N64 emu. He told me that he believed it would cause significant slowdown.

So... I wouldn't expect a texture plugin. But if you want one, ask for it later when we have a N64 emu that's running at playable speeds for most games, with Savestates and such working.

By the way, you mentioned retextured roms, do you mean roms that have been translated or something? Because I know that to translate OoT you had to replace textures that had the letters.

-God Ginrai

There are a lot of games from japan that have been texture translated, so it would be nice to play a few. Another game that does not work on PSP is the LOZ:OOT Master Quest rom (Also known as Uru quest). I suspect that its issues are somewhat related to ones of texture hacked roms. And to an earlier poster, yes, whoever made that mario 64 texture should be shot! :p Another big reason I want this is that I have a Goldeneye 64 rom with my face as the face of james bond! B)

just to be clear... games that are rom hacked where the original textures are changed should be fine if they were done properly (ie, no new textures, the same size textures as the original).
the high resolution texture packs are an entirely different thing tho, there is a n64 emulator graphics plugin that can load external textures of larger resolution than the textures of the original rom. the rom itself is not changed in any way.

Not always. The LOZ:OOT Master quest (As well as the port of the original OOT) for the gamecube ran via emulation. It was not a straight port, it actually had slightly better textures in many parts, notably the title screen. Someone was able to rip the n64 rom on that disc to a proper n64 rom file which runs in almost all n64 emulators without any special plugin. It would be pretty cool to be able to run Master Quest, (Which does not run on PSP) as it had a different set of puzzles that have OOT new life. And it would be good to know exactly why the PSP cant run it. And there are actually a few .IPS files with higher res textures that you can patch roms with (I believe they also expand the rom so that the new textures can fit). So while you are mostly right, there are a few notable exceptions).

ok, honestly my knowledge of nintendo64 emulation is pretty limited, and what i do know is outdated (until recently i found it a lot easier to just play my actual n64 than screw around with buggy emulators).
i'll have to see about getting a copy of that master quest rom, sounds interesting, and its been a while since i played OOT anyway.

I wish that I could use that my goldeneye rom with me in it in online multiplayer... But first we need multiplayer! Actually, first we need an n64 emulator... And even then, goldeneye is really hard to emulate. Even if multiplayer is implemented, most likely the custom texture would only show up on one persons machine, unless both had the same rom. It would be pretty cool to play people with other pandoras and actually kill THEM rather than some lame stock character texture. Perhaps a special pandora goldeneye rom with all the devs faces? :p I will make it happen if anyone wants it! B) But I am really getting ahead of myself... Hey, no "finding" that master quest ROM! You have to rip it yourself, or the Nintendo ninjas will come in the night and kill your computer! :ph34r:

palmertech said:
The real reason is that StrmnNrmn has MUCH better things to work on, than adding nice little extras like this. You hit on another reason though, PSP barely even has enough VRAM for normal N64 textures after they've been converted, much less enhanced ones.

palmertech said:
I wish that I could use that my goldeneye rom with me in it in online multiplayer... But first we need multiplayer! Actually, first we need an n64 emulator... And even then, goldeneye is really hard to emulate. Even if multiplayer is implemented, most likely the custom texture would only show up on one persons machine, unless both had the same rom. It would be pretty cool to play people with other pandoras and actually kill THEM rather than some lame stock character texture. Perhaps a special pandora goldeneye rom with all the devs faces? :p I will make it happen if anyone wants it! B) But I am really getting ahead of myself... Hey, no "finding" that master quest ROM! You have to rip it yourself, or the Nintendo ninjas will come in the night and kill your computer! :ph34r:
1. line break please

2. A homebrew game with to-server texture uploads would probably be better for this

Back