Hip Hop Trivia Thread

OMars

Website
Visit site
I wanted to have some kind of fun during the weekend, so here is a little trivia thread. We'll see if there are more rap lovers out there soon enough.

Rules:
1) Answers must not be from the internet or any other source other than your previous knowledge. (I have no real way of checking this, so I'll have to trust you guys.
2) There will be one question at a time. Only when the question is answered will there be a new question.
3) Only OMars (me) and DCGM will be able to ask the next questions.
4) If there's a question that you are dying to ask, pm me or DCGM so one of us can post the question on this thread.
5) Once 50 questions have been answered the thread is going to end (but I'm not a mod and I can't delete or close it, but we'll see what happens)
6) Who ever answers one question will receive one point and there will be a new post with the up-to-date trivia game scores.
7) In the case of a tie there will be a tie breaker question that would be almost impossible to answer for the ordinary hip hop fan.
8) The winner will receive...absolutely nothing, except the satisfaction of being the biggest hip hop fanatic on these boards.

Okay the first question is "What was the first commercial rapper or rap group in the hip hop scene?".

edit: if the question is asked by me, then DCGM can answer and vice versa

OMars said:
I wanted to have some kind of fun during the weekend, so here is a little trivia thread. We'll see if there are more rap lovers out there soon enough.

Rules:
1) Answers must not be from the internet or any other source other than your previous knowledge. (I have no real way of checking this, so I'll have to trust you guys.
2) There will be one question at a time. Only when the question is answered will there be a new question.
3) Only OMars (me) and DCGM will be able to ask the next questions.
4) If there a question that you are dying to ask, pm me or DCGM so one of us can post the question on this thread.
5) Once 50 questions have been answered the thread is going to end (but I'm not a mod and I can't delete or close it, but we'll see what happens)
6) Who ever answers one question will receive one point and there will be a new post with the up-to-date trivia game scores.
7) In the case of a tie there will be a tie breaker question that would be almost impossible to answer for the ordinary hip hop fan.
8) The winner will receive...absolutely nothing, except the satisfaction of being the biggest hip hop fanatic on these boards.

Okay the first question is "What was the first commercial rapper or rap group in the hip hop scene?".

edit: if the question is asked by me, then DCGM can answer and vice versa

hmm tough one this my first reaction is Sugar Hill Gang.

Last edited by a moderator:
peelie said:
This is close....anybody else? I'll give you the point if nobody answers correctly. :D

OMars said:
peelie said:
This is close....anybody else? I'll give you the point if nobody answers correctly. :D

1 point for peelie. He came pretty close, but the answer is actually Kurtis Blow. He was the first rapper to be signed to a major commercial label.

Score out of 50
peelie - 1

Next question is by DCGM. Go ahead and ask it now.

OMars said:
This rapper or rap group released the first popular rap song in America...

lol i guess Suhar Hill Gang again, hehe :)

not to put a dampner on things but may the questions could be worded better?

cheers

Walk this Way by RUN DMC is known for popularizing rap music and everyone seems to know that song even today

peelie said:
OMars said:
This rapper or rap group released the first popular rap song in America...

lol i guess Suhar Hill Gang again, hehe :)

not to put a dampner on things but may the questions could be worded better?

cheers

Ace! And I'll be sure to work on my choice of words in my next posts.

Score out of 50
peelie - 2
blah - 1

DCGM, you're up. From now on the person in lead will have his name in bold.

edit: in case anybody wanted to know the song is called "Rapper's Delight" and I'm sure everybody has heard it or parts of it at one time in their life

daclassicgamingmaster said:
This rapper or rap group became embroiled in controversy once again, when hilary clinton allegedy took money from him/her/them towards her 2008 presidential campaign.
MC Hammer :p I'm not sure, but you did say they became embroiled in controversy "once again".

edit: that's tough, you should have saved it for the end, unless you have even more of those questions

daclassicgamingmaster said:
This rapper or rap group became embroiled in controversy once again, when hilary clinton allegedy took money from him/her/them towards her 2008 presidential campaign.

i have no idea but taking a guess puff daddy?

Back