Holy overreaction!

I think the site is hillariuos =) I can't believe how someone can take this as a serius site.

Just because one och hundreds (or thousands) gets offended, you can't just lock a thread.

/e.

"Rico" said:
Well thanks a fucking lot for that Kandor. The site wasn't funny, the post wasn't funny, go spam somewhere else.

"Dozer" said:
Man this thread sucks. Its just ricos job to try and prevent arguments from threads like the one u posted from escalating. It might have been funny but it would be safer to just lock it to make sure that no1 is offended. I dont see the need in another thread to try and prove ricos decision wrong. Its hardly like the origional thread had some breaking new topic in it.

Rico was right in closing the thread because it was off topic, misleading, and the following posts were all mean-spirited. But did you read Rico's post, Dozer? He obviously didn't care if anyone was offended. What makes you think a moderator should always play it safe, and what's wrong with people being offended?

What was wrong was how Rico abused his power as a moderator to get the last word. It was cowardly, as Kandor implied.

For the record, the blackpeopleloveus site is as IntenseWage said, "serious opinions disguised as a joke"; it's funny, and most people do "get it".

Last edited by a moderator:
Same thing happened to me when i placed a similar joke about gba emulation and i got slagged of rotten by rico and then my post was locked so i myself couldnt reply so i agree with kandor P S i think it was quite a funny joke :lol:

I posted my comments because the joke wasn't funny. The site might have been to some people, that's not the point. The main reason I commented was because it was in General Talk, looked real, and instead of amusing me it just pissed me off. The 'similar' topics about the PSP were in Off-Topic forums. The Off-Topic forum is there for a reason.

I -locked- the thread because an argument was already beginning to emerge and I didn't want it to escalate.

While I can see why you may have thought my locking was for me to get the last word, I assure you that wasn't true. Since you just disproved your own point by posting here. I really don't understand how you can accuse me of 'cowardice' when I locked to stop an argument; you could easily attack my moderation skills on a new thread (oh wait, you did) or in PM (which would have been a hell of a lot more sensible, but 'sensible' isn't really your forté, is it?)

Crazeeplaya kindly STFU. You constantly annoy the fuck out of me with your site advertising and I have made it known. You don't like it? Don't make -that- known by sheepishly collecting around Kandor and agreeing with him. At least Kandor had the self-decency to let me know his opinions by himself, on impulse. You had to wait for someone to slag me off before you joined in. Pathetic.

Now you've made your opinions clear about how much these boards suck, go talk on your own boards. I'm sure there are tons of people there.

I really don't understand how some people can complain about the amount of spam on the boards, and how others can attack me for locking useless threads posted in a General Discussion forum and containing Kandor accusing someone of being a 'fucking idiot'.

I'm sure more joke posts will follow. As long as they don't feature the original poster insulting anyone who says the joke is old, they won't be deleted or closed or anything (they wouldn't have been before). But they will be moved to offtopic.

I get attacked for stopping people from doing -whatever- they like in the forums. Maybe I just wanted to cut down on the spam and make the forums a little better. No wonder some of the old forumers, with Skeezix, are talking about starting up a seperate one.

Kandor, I don't want to ban you because it would seem personal. But looking through your threads, you post a hell of a lot of sarcastic and insulting posts. It almost seems that you are out to start arguments. Do not expect me to sit and do nothing.

Thanks to all of you who understood that I was trying to keep the peace. A big fuck you to all of you who immediately sided against me. I'll keep it in mind.

- Rico

"Rico" said:
While I can see why you may have thought my locking was for me to get the last word, I assure you that wasn't true. Since you just disproved your own point by posting here. I really don't understand how you can accuse me of 'cowardice' when I locked to stop an argument; you could easily attack my moderation skills on a new thread (oh wait, you did) or in PM (which would have been a hell of a lot more sensible, but 'sensible' isn't really your forté, is it?)

You really got me with the "sensible isn't your forte" line, but while I usually surrender to posts containing accents over vowels, I have to take issue with your defense. I've already pointed out that there were several reasons to lock the thread, "stopping an argument" not being one of them (how lame and coward a reason is that? what are forums for??). Anyway, what made you wrong was this:

"Rico" said:
Well thanks a fucking lot for that Kandor. The site wasn't funny, the post wasn't funny, go spam somewhere else.

Ending the bitterness of the thread with... bitterness, and calling the guy a spammer for posting a joke, without allowing a defense from your attacks. And it was meant to be the last word, don't deny it; you just didn't expect the follow-up.

We both could have been sensible, Rico. I could have PM'ed you about the problem, and you could have PM'ed Kandor about the initial problem. Please don't take it all the wrong way, you're a cool guy Rico, but I think you made just one poor decision by not posting the real reason you were locking the thread in the first place.

My point is, nobody says "Thanks a fucking lot, go spam somewhere else" when they're "keeping the peace". LOL, please don't "keep in mind" that I "sided against you"! I don't want to make anyone's hit list! :p

No, I truly didn't want the events to spiral into what they have now become. Perhaps I hoped that, by locking the thread, nobody would begin a new one with such complaints. In some ways I have encouraged what I have tried to stop.

However there is an angle that I didn't mention, the fact that GP32x forums are no place for spam; as you can see from many of the comments that joke post was not appreciated, I have had people on IRC telling me that 'too many sites' are full of joke posts, and that is would become a problem if not stopped early.

So if you don't believe any of my more moral arguments, then take it by the rules: It's spam. It was deleted. Perhaps I should have moved it, but I doubt it would really have mattered in the long run whether it was moved or not.

Finally, I really hoped you wouldn't point out the fact I could use PM at this very point. Kandor made this issue public, so replies will be public. If I deleted this thread and all traces of the argument, needless to say I wouldn't be looked at as 'making the matter private', I'd be accused of censorship.

Ha how very tactfull I especially liked the part where you said AND A BIG FUCK YOU TO EVERY BODY WHO SIDED AGAINST ME ILL KEEP THAT IN MIND ;)

Well here I am, bored again, and I come along this thread.

Considering this thread is basically a personal attack on Rico, if it is allowed to exist at all, shouldn't it be moved to the Off-Topic forum?

You all have to remember that moderators are real people. This is a relatively small site, so I think Rico should be allowed some relaxed standards. Rico posted first as himself, unamused by the content, then realized there was some moderation duties he needed to perform. Perhaps his emotions did make him a little biased, yet Rico has always been rather fair in his dealings, so there is no justification to attack him like this.

"Rico" said:
Finally, I really hoped you wouldn't point out the fact I could use PM at this very point.

I didn't make it clear. I meant you could have locked the original thread and sent a PM instead of a message at the end of the thread.

But, if it's spam, it's spam. I won't take issues with your rules because it's not my place. Sorry for calling you a coward.

On another note entirely, NIN, are you drunk? I'm just kinda teasing because it's a Saturday night, and your post seemed rushed or inspired by alcohol or something. Never mind, long live the "robe and wizard hat" thread, yes I remember that old one!

jot2b: Completely true. I could have sent him a PM, and locked it. But then others would PM me asking why I locked it. There is a small difference between PMing during a personal dispute and PMing during an action on the board itself. Still, looking back, the PM would obviously have been better, so I'll keep that in mind in future. Thanks

GeneralNMX, you hit the nail on the head. Twice. This -should- be moved to Off-Topic, so it is. I guess I was more caught up with dealing with the points here, it didn't cross my mind.

Rico posted on Oct 25 2003 at 07:40 PM said:
Now you've made your opinions clear about how much these boards suck, go talk on your own boards. I'm sure there are tons of people there.
Hey Rico.

I Think these boards are great, it is just you that I dislike. I don't know why it is, maybe it's your lack of a sense of humour, overzealous moderating, use of foul language. It could also be your 'worship me, because I made a compiling tutorial' attitude.

BTW the forums on my site are not mean't to be a main feature, unlike they are on this site, they are there just incase people want to comunicate with me. I now only plug my site here if it answers someones question.

So Rico, let's both agree that I annoy you and you are a power-hungry computer super-geek. Sound fair to you?

Crazeeplaya

crazeeplaya posted on Oct 26 2003 at 04:47 PM said:
I Think these boards are great, it is just you that I dislike. I don't know why it is, maybe it's your lack of a sense of humour, overzealous moderating, use of foul language. It could also be your 'worship me, because I made a compiling tutorial' attitude.
Crazeeplaya,

No, I'm pretty sure I have a sense of humour. I tend to make a lot of people laugh, sometimes even when I'm moderating (#animal_lovers being one example)

However it looks like our humour clashes, I don't see anything funny about posting about overclocked Genemu ROMs once a day. I can appreciate that you need to bring traffic to the site but I have honestly not seen a site mentioned as much, or more, than your own on these boards.

I have done a hell of a lot more than make a tutorial. But I never ask to be uber-respected for it. Being a moderator automatically gives me some power and I use it for the reason I was given it. You seem to believe that I ask people to worship me for it. Quite the contrary, people will often automatically hate you if you get any power (look at the examples overflowing in this thread). 'Overzealous moderating' typically involves locking about 2 threads a week, usually always due to rom requests. Of course it also applies to spam. If you want to see overzealous moderating, I'll be perfectly happy to delete any post that includes the letter 'e' or does not end with a movie quote. I think you might just be exaggerating here.

Use of foul language is perfectly accepted in these boards as far as I know. I'm extremely sorry, but if you can't take a few swear words now, you're going to have difficulty adjusting to something we call "the real world".

So Rico, let's both agree that I annoy you and you are a power-hungry computer super-geek. Sound fair to you?

This is where we get the rather old notion that, just because I aquire a position of (extremely limited) power on a board, that I must spend all my time tapping away at a keyboard. Big newsflash: I might just have been given a moderation position because hando considered be able to do my job, that I might (gasp) be doing things right? I mean, you spent a considerable amount of time on your PC making your website and have 450+ posts, but my brain can actually accept that you might not be a 'super-geek' regardless of these endeavours...

Hope you understand,

Rico

I think this place needs more moderation, not less.

As a GP32 owner I drop by here to read about GP32 stuff, not get joke links to joke websites, read ten different threads about "OMG teh Gp32 is n0t d3ad" or whatever other drivel comes in. All I really give a shit about is what's out, what's coming out, and what's going on.

If you're going to say, "if you hate it so much then quit coming here," you're too late. I used to check this site 3-4 times and day and now I drop by once a week. It's easier to filter out all the static BS that way.

I'm sure Rico can't close every topic that should be closed or move every topic that needs to be moved to off-topic because if you go and look it would be like 75% of the posts.

A moderator's job is to nip problems in the bud. Of course no one's happy when they get nipped, but instead of whining about it for a week take a look at the big picture and see if what you were doing was really "adding to the site" or was it "taking away from people's enjoyment of the site."

On another note entirely, NIN, are you drunk? I'm just kinda teasing because it's a Saturday night, and your post seemed rushed or inspired by alcohol or something. Never mind, long live the "robe and wizard hat" thread, yes I remember that old one!

Yeah it was rushed very rushed i had to go out but i didnt see it as teasing i guess i missed that but oh well lets just close this topic we have gone over what has happened and why it happened.

LONG LIVE robe and wizard hat :D

:ph34r:

Back