Hot Baby Hot!

DoubleDash

Yesterday I got back from lunch and put my pandora on charge for just over two hours. It was at the login prompt, but not logged in, remaining charge read at 58% before leaving on charge. When I disconnected it and held the device it was very warm, I hesitate to say hot but it was probably as warm as it could be without actually calling it hot. My usual use/charge pattern is to use the pandora until it is depleted to about 50/60% before leaving it on for a recharge, usually for about a few hours, to bring it back up to 100%. Am I doing anything wrong here, should I change my charging pattern?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Maybe battery overcharging? Does it feel that hot while it is charging, like around 98%, or does it only get that hot after it's reached 100%?

Mine gets a little warm as it charges, but nothing that I would even think of considering hot.

Try this little hack I wrote to properly stop the charging at 100%

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe battery overcharging? Does it feel that hot while it is charging, like around 98%, or does it only get that hot after it's reached 100%?

Mine gets a little warm as it charges, but nothing that I would even think of considering hot.

Try this little hack I wrote to properly stop the charging at 100%

Overcharging is what I suspected initially. However, moving from about 58% to 100% in little over 2 hours doesn't leave much scope for overcharging. I can't believe the battery would charge that quickly (using a psp charger btw). I have never noticed the battery being hot whilst charging, usually only warm. I did once have a nokia phone battery that went super hot and that I think was overcharging, I've been cautious not to over charge ever since! Yes, your charging hack. I read about that a few months ago, worth using as a precautionary measure I suppose, although it would be nice to know the root cause.

Thanks WizardStan.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, moving from about 58% to 100% in little over 2 hours doesn't leave much scope for overcharging. I can't believe the battery would charge that quickly (using a psp charger btw).
Charging at about 1amp, it should fill the battery from 0 to 100% in about 4 hours, perhaps a little longer. 42% in 2 hours is more than reasonable.

>Am I doing anything wrong here, should I change my charging pattern?

YES

Lipo's (specifically LiCoO) batteries do not mind being at less than 100% charge

They age much slower at 80% or lower

Anything above 5% is OK, best life is when the battery ranges between 30%-50%

It will make a difference (in battery life), just not right away

Heat is also a killer, especially when at 100%

dave

Mine gets pretty warm when I'm charging and using it, with a usb speaker plugged in (listening to audiobooks for hours). My guess is that it's not too bad, right?

@WizardStan

Just checked PSP chargers specs. It is a 5v 2amp device so looking at 2hrs for full charge. This means my battery would have been trickle charging for over an hour, right?! Perhaps this is reason enough for it to get very warm....and more reason to use your charging hack. It would be nice to eventually see that one slipped into the default OS build as an optional tool.

@dave

Thanks. Based on what you say I'll probably let it drop to somewhere under 30% then charge back up to 50%.

@WizardStan

Just checked PSP chargers specs. It is a 5v 2amp device so looking at 2hrs for full charge. This means my battery would have been trickle charging for over an hour, right?!
No, the TWL chip limits the charge to 1amp. The PSP charger specs say what it can go up to max, not what it must provide: the charge chip inside the Pandora keeps it lower for safety reasons.

Back