How About Using This Thing For Powerpoint?

plupp said:
I would pay a premium for something that is guaranteed to work with the pandora.
Others would not. Most projectors have S-Video anyway, just use that. An "official" adapter does us no good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine it'd be in any way profitable for Craig and company to resell something with such a narrow user base.
Most likely what will happen is someone with both desire and the technical ability will pick one and port the drivers for it, post those drivers, and promote that dongle as one that works. You would have to buy the dongle yourself, but the drivers would be there, and you'd know it works since someone else already did it.
I don't expect the Pandora team to provide anything else beyond the basic hardware and software. Everything else will most likely be even more niche than the niche the Pandora is already filling, so likely to be fan created.

As stated by the OP, the projector is too high to directly plug into, therefore, s-video cannot be used. However, it's unreasonable to expect Craig and company to sell something with such a narrow user base. Saying that they should resell one that is guaranteed to work is also silly. S-video is s-video and VGA is VGA. They're all going to work (assuming you buy the right one for PAL or NTSC).

After a bit of research, maybe what you need is a USB to VGA adapter. I believe the only driver that works for that is the sisusbvga module, which works with this USB to VGA adapter. The people over at Maemo seem to be working on getting that driver working, so that may not be out in time for the Pandora.

But if you want a viewing solution that does not require external power that's certain, I'd go with one of the many powered adapters and replace the power brick with a bunch of D-cells in an enclosure, but that's just me.

Looking over all this, I just realized that the USB-powered converter mentioned by Gruso is probably the best solution. It's not available now, but it probably will be by the time the Pandora is out. Hopefully, it doesn't use too much current.

plupp said:
Megamixman said:
The Problem with everyone wanting an official adapter for X to Y is that they can't make them very cheap unless they have a large base to sell to. Hence if there's a 100 people who want to buy them, expect the adapters to be on the order of 10x what some other company will be selling them. Secondly, official or not, Svideo to Dsub is pretty much the same thing. If you have a Svideo signal, a Svideo to Dsub converter WILL convert it. There are no compatibility issues, drivers, etc.
I dont want craig and the boys to make the adapters, just to resell an adapter that they have tested and is guaranteed to work with the pandora.

As for a simple passive adapter, I do believe that they only work if your projector is made to accept composite or s-video over the dsub connector and not for general use. Some projectors support this while others do not.

I would not want to be presenting something at a conference somewhere and finding out that my passive adapter is not compatible with the beamer in the ceiling.

I would pay a premium for something that is guaranteed to work with the pandora.

Then get an active adapter. The same applies to active Adapters. The video DAC in the Pandora outputs the analog signal for the svideo and then stops caring. You're equally as likely to have a problem between the adapter and the specific projector as you are at having a problem between the Pandora and the adapter. What are you going to do? There are plenty of video boxes on the order of ~ $100 that are extremely good at taking in multiple different signals and outputting multiple different signals through different connectors. These are highly versatile and generally reconfigurable.
It's been said before, it doesn't make sense for Craigx and co to resell an adapter, when the likely base for such a product is going to be minuscule. Unless you really do want to pay an outrageous price at which you could easily buy an ultra-high end box capable of doing all you want and more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back