How can we make this place more fun?

Maybe a shoutbox at the bottom of the main site of the forum would be nice...

That could be dangerous...

Why?
Unfiltered messages at live speeds, I can see it as a disaster waiting to happen.
How long before we're spammed with swearing or a very large verbal debate that spews F bombs everywhere.
I promise not to do that then.  No promises that I won't make pictures.  Hmmm, new idea for an OT thread.

I probably wouldn't use such a feature very much, but maybe others will like it.

Building on the ideas of others, would anybody have a problem with Off Topic being members only, and not being shown as part of the main new content?

yeah a members only OT with out it being part of the main content would be great. if you want updates just subscribe or follow it :)

Hmm again I don't see the need for such "drastic" rework. Keeping new post out of the "new content" view seems reasonable to not clutter it up for those, that just want to know whats going on in the Pandora/Pyra world. Other then that keep everything as it is (including rules and moderation). Maybe Wally could be a little more forgiving if things go too far off topic for his taste (but I don't mean "laissez fair"), but thats just about it.

I know we don't really need a rework, it's generally conversation, like most of the other threads. I want to see peoples opinions if anything.  

I'm already working on becoming more forgiving :)

Building on the ideas of others, would anybody have a problem with Off Topic being members only, and not being shown as part of the main new content?

Again, I wouid be somewhat put out at not being able to view it as part of my New Content page.   I'm fine with it being separated by default, as long as I still have the option of putting it back together.

-Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
What does "Off-topic members only" mean? Like a club for Off-topic members?

I didn't see this until now.  If it was about what I suggested, I meant hide all the off topic stuff from people that aren't logged in.  It cuts down on stuff to dig through for people that are just interested in the Pyra or Pandora.  Also, they don't have to see what I post in Absurdism Corner.

Basically the off topic section isn't public.. only members can see it or what not. This also means then the moderation of it could be more lax since the potential people seeing it goes from the entire internet to under 9000...

So which means if we make asses of ourselves we're not publicly hurting the boards name? No? :p

"Then the moderation of it could be more lax" and the rest of DrHax's post sort of sounds like 'anything goes, because only we'll see it'.

What I worry about is where will the line be drawn? What you don't want to end up having is a vile cesspit section with equally horrid/offensive posts because no one will know but us - there are other sites and the rest of the internet for that  ;)  

Basically the off topic section isn't public.. only members can see it or what not. This also means then the moderation of it could be more lax since the potential people seeing it goes from the entire internet to under 9000...

So which means if we make asses of ourselves we're not publicly hurting the boards name? No? :p

I disagree, usually I am not logged in when I visit the boards and only log in if I want to make a comment. This would mean that I would be not able to browse this part of the boards if I only have a unsecure connection at my disposal.
I am also not very fond of the idea that this could be used as an excuse to lower the current level of moderation, I quite happy with its current state, I don't need extensive namecalling or (very) personal revelations from memebers n'stuff.

Another suggestion, again if the board software permits it, is automatic post-merging/editing - if someone posts multiple posts in succession in the same thread, then their post count will not increase and their previous post will be updated to also contain the new post. 

@PokeParadox

That's exactly how it was in the old boards...but the only problem with that is when it does merge the 2 (or more) posts together it doesn't update it as a new post. Although, on another forum I frequent...it does.

Actually this idea is brilliant!

>OT section invisible for guests
Guest: "Wow thousands of postings and productivity, and no OT at all!"
>guest registers
>recognizes ten thousands of OT postings after registration

Registration trap succeeded.

What I worry about is where will the line be drawn? What you don't want to end up having is a vile cesspit section with equally horrid/offensive posts  

Yet I can still post here.   ;)
Maybe it is because I try to watch myself and don't mind walking away from a post I feel might be too much.  So difficult sometimes.  It also doesn't help that with the new board software the old post pops up when I try to reply in that thread again unless I delete my old unposted stuff.  I agree, though.  I have been trying to make sure that what I say and post won't bother most people.

Another suggestion, again if the board software permits it, is automatic post-merging/editing - if someone posts multiple posts in succession in the same thread, then their post count will not increase and their previous post will be updated to also contain the new post. 

Yes, please. This.  I very nearly posted 3 times in a row earlier because I missed some earlier replies.  The reason I don't currently just edit my old posts is that I want those that are interested in what I posted to know I said something new.  If I feel like I am reading the same post again I will skip it, but it might work for posts within 10 minutes of each other.  Mark it as a new post, as SONY mentioned, and it might get people to look at it and see the appended post at the bottom.

Back