How easy will be the wifi usage ?

Any network Linux network manager should be portable to the Pandora. I am not familiar with the options, but I am confident the devs will choose something easy enough for anybody to use. Remember that the current dev boards do not have the wifi/BT chips installed in them, so this cannot be resolved quite yet. Be sure that when this have been worked out, the necessary information will be posted here.

Linux is usually very good for wifi as long as you have drivers. The only problem is when the wifi app forces you to use the b#&$*y gnome keyring. X.x

I'm sure that can be fixed though.

even if it isn't available graphically (Which is should be) i'm sure, because it uses linux, it'll be available for edit

in linux everything is a file.
you can edit that file

It should be fairly simple, and I believe there are quite a few gui applications already available for this. It is already ported to the arm processor and a simple interface. Angstrom already has it built in by default via iwconfig and iwlist, and a simple frontend is easy enough to come by. Iwconfig, iwlist and the frontend (i don't remember what its called) have been out for many years, so should be reliable

Other than drivers, there shouldn't be any major issue with wifi.

Noisome

For some reason, I want to say they're going to have wpa_supplicant as their main wireless client, and then anything else (NetworkManager, etc.) will use that.

wpa_supplicant is really nice and easy to configure without a GUI, so even if there wasn't a little icon to click, it would be a piece of cake to set up.

I need something to back me up on the wpa_supplicant bit, though... *starts searching*

Edit: OK, so there is no official word on wpa_supplicant. I've only been hoping, and so I got it into my head that wpa_supplicant would be there.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if there wasn't an easy way to configure wireless on launch day. Wifi is a big feature for the Pandora, after all!

On any system that I've used that uses supplicant and Network manager I've always run into stability issues. Wicd is just a small daemon that sits in the background that can be accessed using a python frontend (or any supported frontend for that matter). Also, it doesn't touch the gnome keyring or any other annoying business, and manages its own keys. It's become a habit of mine to uninstalled supplicant and network manager from any Ubuntu install I do and replace it with wicd. That is just my preference. I will likely do the same to the Pandora if it comes with anything different.

javaJake said:
To be honest, I'd be surprised if there wasn't an easy way to configure wireless on launch day. Wifi is a big feature for the Pandora, after all!
I'd be stunned if there wasn't, especially as there is no ethernet.

mindlord said:
On any system that I've used that uses supplicant and Network manager I've always run into stability issues.

I dunno what you're talking about, because my machine is stable, and it uses wpa_supplicant. Actually, I don't even bother with NetworkManager, since it just duplicates features into a GUI.

Back