How High Can/will Sdhc Go?

satanic virus

Website
Visit site
Just saw a thread there about people wanting to use pandora as mp3 players.

I have an 80g ipod, but have over 200g music on my pc so i swap and change every now and then.

Realistically, within the next 2 years how big will SDHC cards get? 64GB, 128GB, 256GB etc. Is there a limit to their potential, and if so what is it and when can we likely see them by?

I'm planning on buying a pandora for games, movies & books, but if storage was available for a LOT of music that could replace my ipod too.

Am too pissed to search for similar topics right now, so if any links or answers please do show. Any flaming, I'll piss my Jameson urine all over ye :p j/k

To put it simply; SDHC has a theoretical maximum of 8TB, but the specification dictates a 64GB limit. It's yet to be seen whether the 64GB limit will be ignored. I expect after that a new generation of cards will be introduced that are to SDHC what SDHC was to SD. It would probably be just a matter of a simple firmware update for the Pandora to support them if it does happen.

Personally; I hope they just ignore the spec limit of SDHC and keep going because all the complications that arose from SDHC not being backwards compatible were a huge pain for the consumers.

CyruzDraxs said:
To put it simply; SDHC has a theoretical maximum of 8TB, but the specification dictates a 64GB limit. It's yet to be seen whether the 64GB limit will be ignored. I expect after that a new generation of cards will be introduced that are to SDHC what SDHC was to SD. It would probably be just a matter of a simple firmware update for the Pandora to support them if it does happen.

Personally; I hope they just ignore the spec limit of SDHC and keep going because all the complications that arose from SDHC not being backwards compatible were a huge pain for the consumers.

How can they pass the spec and hope to maintain general compatibility, let alone backward compatibility? Is the spec implemented in such a way that this would work?

Chris

sataniC Virus said:
Just saw a thread there about people wanting to use pandora as mp3 players.

I have an 80g ipod, but have over 200g music on my pc so i swap and change every now and then.

Realistically, within the next 2 years how big will SDHC cards get? 64GB, 128GB, 256GB etc. Is there a limit to their potential, and if so what is it and when can we likely see them by?

I'm planning on buying a pandora for games, movies & books, but if storage was available for a LOT of music that could replace my ipod too.

Am too pissed to search for similar topics right now, so if any links or answers please do show. Any flaming, I'll piss my Jameson urine all over ye :p j/k
Is there a particular piece of software you would like to see ported to manage that giant library? Is there a program that you think stacks up against the iPod for this kind of library size? It would be neat to have an ipod emulator (so to speak) for the gp32 or pandora that uses the touch screen to implement the controls of an ipod.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
christo930 said:
CyruzDraxs said:

How can they pass the spec and hope to maintain general compatibility, let alone backward compatibility? Is the spec implemented in such a way that this would work?

Chris

The 64 GB limit is completely arbitrary, so it would just require a software update at most. I don't know whether that part of the spec is even widely implemented, but even if it was it would be quite a trivial update - for a device with mostly open drivers like the Pandora, there would be no backwards compatibility problems at all.

Hmm, 32GB x 8^2 = 8TB.

So, in 8 x 1.5 years, or 12 years, we will retreive our Pandoras from our attic, remove cobwebs and dust and insert two 8TB SD cards full of every 32-bit rom and below and thousands of movies and watch our Pandora die under the stress of mounting it with the primitive 2009 version of linux installed. Yes, I'm bored today. :(

icurafu said:
Hmm, 32GB x 8^2 = 8TB.

So, in 8 x 1.5 years, or 12 years, we will retreive our Pandoras from our attic, remove cobwebs and dust and insert two 8TB SD cards full of every 32-bit rom and below and thousands of movies and watch our Pandora die under the stress of mounting it with the primitive 2009 version of linux installed. Yes, I'm bored today. :(
I don't know where the 8 TB figure came from, but everything I've seen says it's 2 TB...

icurafu said:
I got it from above. 2^32 = 4 terrabit, which is 512 GByte. So I have no real idea.
2 ^32 = 4294967296 or 4GB. I haven't read the above, just 32 bit is 4GB

Chris

icurafu said:
That's 4 trillion and you counted bits not bytes.

I think you need an edumacation more than I do. ;)
I did do this before I had my cofee, so I may be mistaken...

I admit I might be mistaken, but that looks like 4 billion 294 million 967 thousand 296. I also thought that that was the reason 32 bit procecssors can "only" address 4gb (of ram, not storage), having "only" 32 address lines? I used GB which denotes Bytes Gb denotes bits.

Chris

Tom` said:
The 64 GB limit is completely arbitrary, so it would just require a software update at most. I don't know whether that part of the spec is even widely implemented, but even if it was it would be quite a trivial update - for a device with mostly open drivers like the Pandora, there would be no backwards compatibility problems at all.
No update would be required at all. The 'spec' is more of a decision that they'll make another cash grab in a few years. There isn't actually any limit imposed in the current spec when it comes to the hardware and software itself--at least there shouldn't be.

Edited for Numerical accuracy:
CyruzDraxs said:
To put it simply; SDHC has a theoretical maximum of 2TB, but the specification dictates a 32GB limit. It's yet to be seen whether the 32GB limit will be ignored. I expect after that a new generation of cards will be introduced that are to SDHC what SDHC was to SD. It would probably be just a matter of a simple firmware update for the Pandora to support them if it does happen.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Edited for Numerical accuracy:
CyruzDraxs said:
To put it simply; SDHC has a theoretical maximum of 2TB, but the specification dictates a 32GB limit. It's yet to be seen whether the 32GB limit will be ignored. I expect after that a new generation of cards will be introduced that are to SDHC what SDHC was to SD. It would probably be just a matter of a simple firmware update for the Pandora to support them if it does happen.

-God Ginrai

Oops. I knew I should've wiki'd it first to be sure. :p

christo930 said:
icurafu said:
That's 4 trillion and you counted bits not bytes.

I think you need an edumacation more than I do. ;)
I did do this before I had my cofee, so I may be mistaken...

I admit I might be mistaken, but that looks like 4 billion 294 million 967 thousand 296. I also thought that that was the reason 32 bit procecssors can "only" address 4gb (of ram, not storage), having "only" 32 address lines? I used GB which denotes Bytes Gb denotes bits.

Chris

Hey chris, you were right, not about bytes, but about the 4 billion.

I had a before coffee day all yesterday if you know what I mean. I didn't have the concentration to fully read things before posting and made a total of three seperate mistakes from my horde of posting. I'm going to restrain myself to more quality posting in the future.

Thanks for pointing it out.

CyruzDraxs said:
Tom` said:
No update would be required at all. The 'spec' is more of a decision that they'll make another cash grab in a few years. There isn't actually any limit imposed in the current spec when it comes to the hardware and software itself--at least there shouldn't be.

I would hate to see the introduction of a new standard of flash cards which would really only serve to raise the price. Is there anything in the spec that would keep them from bypassing the 64gb limit without causing a lot of compatibility grief? Are the controllers designed in such a way as to allow raising the limit for things that wouldn't necessarily get an update (like a gp2x)?

Chris

Back