How I Ended Up In a Smash Bros Tournament

I'd beat you mmKALL ... :)

...actually, no I wouldn't

I can't say anything except good luck to that.

...but of course luck has very little to do with winning

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really sad that Super Smash Bros Brawl is not playable online because of a one+ second lag for every button press.

It's one of my favorite games.

I think I can keep up with you.

(800+ hours Brawl gaming time)

It's time to tell you all about my past.

I wish so much I had more time and could do it again.

Playing Smash Brothers is awesome.

But making characters on your own is the best thing ever.

Here is what I have done so far:

Shadow;

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=9434.msg108805#msg108805

Real King Bowser:

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=5235.msg48023#msg48023

Fallen Angel:

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=6277.msg58564#msg58564

Aeon (my Masterpiece)

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=4077.msg38589#msg38589

Soren

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fVLhdwkBvhY

(It was at a time as model hacking as not possible. That's why it's just Marth with textures)

Here's why I call myself "Askarus"

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=2641.msg24390#msg24390

It's the name of the first character I've made for Super Smash Bros. and an invention by me.

I see that I've barely scratched the surface with this game, just playing the thing. These customs are great though.

I like the Askarus one most, energy plasma effects, very kool looking

Oh wow, these look like really neat PSA and model hacks. I've studied them a bit myself, but I've never done huge amounts of modification since I prefer playing - I can see that you've put lots and lots of time into these, though. Rather than modifying the elements of the game itself, I've used countless hours on looping and swapping the music and text files. Simple stuff by using Riivolution compared to that, though :p  Also wow at custom animations and effects - I don't know how much you did by importing/swapping, I recognise some things, but custom animations always amaze me since I completely suck at making stuff like that look good.

If I ever visit Germany, we totally should have a match! :)  Have you ever went to tournaments?

The second post could be coming soonish..!? I just spent quite a while cleaning up the next header image. Seems like doing graphics stuff is not for me, heh.

@Askarus: I like that King Bowser PSA. I know Aeon is PAL only, what about your other ones? I'd like to try some of them :) . As far as the hacks I've used, I've only gotten the PoR Lord Ike and Radiant Dawn Lord Ike skins.

I also really enjoyed playing 1v1s online against some friends. There was this particular person I had "grudge" matches with for about an hour or 2.

Have you ever went to tournaments?
No.

All I did was playing at Gamescom with some Smash Bros guys who brought a Gamecube with them and asked for a TV in the retro area.

Was a pretty fun story.

And finally some experienced players who could keep up with me.

I like that King Bowser PSA. I know Aeon is PAL only, what about your other ones? I'd like to try some of them
It doesn't matter.

You only don't get sound effects.

I didn't modify sound a lot because of that PAL/NTSC issue.

It's just not worth the effort if PAL/NTSC users don't hear them.

Aeon is totally playable with NTSC console.

Also don't expect others to be as smooth as King Bowser and Aeon.

Only Aeon has half a year of work (at least) and custom made animations.

All of the others would at least need some weeks of rework and also custom animations (Not just swapping original animations).

I don't know how much you did by importing/swapping, I recognise some things, but custom animations always amaze me since I completely suck at making stuff like that look good.
As I mentioned I didn't do anything for about the last 2-3 years.

So most of the hacks were from that time you couldn't do custom animations.

Also I never did a lot model importing.

I was really god at dealing with the limitations.

I took what was available and made the best out of it.

For Bowser for example I just pimped Bowser, as I think he should be. That's it.

For Pit I Wanted a character with 4 different movesets.

I was looking for a nice Pit texture hack and built a moveste for it.

If I ever visit Germany, we totally should have a match
Get a Wii U and we (hopefully) can play the New Supper Smash Bros Game.

Reading this makes me really happy that I didn't play tournaments and wanted to become a world class player.

Hacking was great.

No pressure from anyone.

Everyone liked me and my hacks.

I could have fun with my characters and others characters.

I don't play any Smash game because of battle tactics and tournaments.

For me it's great to see all my favorite Characters in one game and the ability to play ones like Zelda and Pit and Ike.

It's great to be a good player and - I'm (far) better than average - but I would not spend my time to train for competitions.

If there's one thing I've learned then it's that there's always one better than you and you'll always loose when there's an important fight.

Always remember:

Games are meant to have fun with.

:)

Although there were times when I was trying to nail some tricky technique down, most of the training was playing with friends to have fun. Because, you know, we had a lot of fun playing seriously.

I can see the other side's view as well, but for me, this is exactly what keeps a game I've been at for hundreds and even thousands of hours fresh. There are very very few games I've used even close to this much time with. I've just enjoyed the competing that much. I'm not trying to encourage or discourage people from trying out competitive smash, rather, I wanted to share what it is like. If a reader wants to join the community, great, if they don't, that's great as well. Playing seriously or casually makes little difference to the fun itself - what's far more important, in my opinion, is doing something you like. Something that will allow people to reach their goals.

Few people would play seriously if it wasn't fun or interesting. Few people would create modifications if it wasn't fun or interesting.

Although there were times when I was trying to nail some tricky technique down, most of the training was playing with friends to have fun. Because, you know, we had a lot of fun playing seriously.

I can see the other side's view as well, but for me, this is exactly what keeps a game I've been at for hundreds and even thousands of hours fresh. There are very very few games I've used even close to this much time with. I've just enjoyed the competing that much. I'm not trying to encourage or discourage people from trying out competitive smash, rather, I wanted to share what it is like. If a reader wants to join the community, great, if they don't, that's great as well. Playing seriously or casually makes little difference to the fun itself - what's far more important, in my opinion, is doing something you like. Something that will allow people to reach their goals.

Few people would play seriously if it wasn't fun or interesting. Few people would create modifications if it wasn't fun or interesting.
Totally agree.

I would like to do some online battle with Wii U smash brothers.

There's one point I disagree with you.

You write you were switching to better characters.

I did never choose a character because he's a good one or not.

I'm an Ike player because Fire Emblem Path of Radiance was my favorite game that time and Fire Emblem Series is still my all time favorite game series.

Then I play Pit because I always like flying characters.

Yoshi because I like Yoshi :) .

And Link because It was my main in Melee and I don't like the Toon version.

Zelda because she can transform and has cool magic.

I'm personally not very interested in Smash for Wii U at the moment - I doubt I'll be buying the console for just a couple of games, and so far it seems like some interesting core elements will be removed. Nobody knows, though - it could be awesome or unplayable or anything between. If the online actually is good, I suppose having a match in that could be an option :)

Ah, right. I switched characters quite a few times, because I liked many of them. My play style after switching controllers back in 2011 became different and Link just didn't feel as fun to play with anymore. He had been my favourite for long, but I decided to try out other characters I liked. After a few months, I settled on maining Marth and have played him in almost all tournament matches since. I'm good with multiple characters and I like many of them (both as characters from their games and gameplay-wise), but by far, I like playing with Marth the most. There's the added bonus of Link being really bad compared to better characters, while Marth or Falco or Meta Knight are amongst the best ones.

Even though characters are unequal, as I mentioned in my post, the player with larger overall skill will almost always have better results than lower-level players. Of course, the difference between, say, Ganondorf and Meta Knight is very huge, but while winning an international tournament with low-tiers is unfeasible, the world's top low-tier players can beat the majority of mid-level players fairly easily. (there are many factors to this, but statistical data shows that it is the case)

Also,

you'll always loose when there's an important fight
Can't say I agree with this - the chance of winning a single match feels more like 50:50 :D

Back