How is your Pandora holding up?

pokitfoxx

pretty much what the title says

for those of you that have one right now, whats the condition of it? pictures would be great, im just curious as to any long term effects not letting go of this amazing machine may produce? is the paint rubbing off where your fingers are at? ever dropped it? water in the screen?

and now for some completely OPTIONAL reading:

a lil background:

prior to my finding out about the pandora i had a wonderful lil gadget called a dingoo, when i had it i thought there would never be a portable game console that could beat it! so 1 day i was walking over to this bridge to sit and enjoy the view, I hopped up and heard *PLOP* well....... my dingoo was now resting at the bottom of a river....horay!

sooooo i went and sold my i phone to buy a new dingoo, and a few weeks later i had my second in my hands.

now just recently i had it in my pocket and somehow cracked the screen, ordered a new screen and my dad messed up the soldering so that dingoo is now scrap :(

now i sit here patiently waiting for my pandora and hoping i have better luck with this puppy.....i dont have another iphone to sell to replace it! :D

I had one of the first off the line and it was not the most beautiful piece of kit I had come across, but it was still special even though it wasn't perfect to look at. After a few months my LCD started to crap out so I figured it would be a good time to send my unit back for a repair. This was a known issue with the first units. My Pandora didn't come right back, it took a few weeks, however, when it arrived the 2nd time, it was pretty amazing the changes in control, shoulder buttons, normal buttons (no paint), case fit, overall look improved 150% etc. For anyone that going to be getting 1 of these 500 that hopefully are produced in the next week or two, you are getting something much nicer than say the first 100 to fly out of Village Hall. If the paint wears off, they are black underneath. Wonder how that new electrosparkle case is coming along?

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Not well, unfortunately. It had several build issues common to early units, but I've fixed most of those. It's also developed two new problems since I receive it. Both problems are also common to early units.

The first issue was the PTOD. It started about a week or so after I got my Pandora. ED fixed this for me even though it was out of warranty. It was about 2 months between when I took my Pandora apart and when I had it back in my hands, working properly again.

Three days later the second issue showed up: a broken left nub. It no longer centers. When I move the mouse it just goes sailing off in a random direction like it sees something shiny. Which reminds me: to anybody out there has mad soldering skills and the right equipment: feel free to PM me with how much you'd charge to move my right nub to the left position. I pretty confident I could solder a nub on without any problem, but I'm equally confident I would destroy the board trying to take one off.

^

Can't you just get a new nub on warranty? Sucks you'd have to part with it, but I don't know if I want anyone other than Village Hall or the Texas Slowdown messing with my nubs.

I've taken apart my Pandora twice already, so it's not under warranty. If OPT is willing to switch the nubs for a reasonable price, then I'll gladly have them do it. But I'd rather wait two or three weeks for a Pandora with one working nub on the side where it's useful, than wait another 2 months or more for two working nubs. And I'd like to be sure I get the same unit back, since I already painted this one.

pretty much what the title says

for those of you that have one right now, whats the condition of it? pictures would be great, im just curious as to any long term effects not letting go of this amazing machine may produce? is the paint rubbing off where your fingers are at? ever dropped it? water in the screen?
Mine has some scratches and the paint is rubbing off around the d-pad. I have dropped it, and that caused it to reboot. I never got water in the screen. The LCD cable started to wear out after a few months, first getting the pink tint, and now the screen is blue-green.

Knock on wood, mine is holding up fine. No marks on the casing, and no problems that I'm aware of.

I did have a weird dream that the LCD cable failed, but with any luck that won't actually happen! (I say, hoping that I don't jinx myself and my Pandora. :p )

My LCD cable has slowly been getting worse, but I'm about 99% convinced it's not broken, just slipping out of its connection: when I open the case to it's full extent, pushing it down past the lock point, the tint goes away and the screen is normal again. Used to be it was fine at the lock point, but it got worse after I dropped it trying to show it off at a drinking party :wacko:

I'd open it up and try to fix it but am afraid of just making it worse and voiding my warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
My LCD cable has slowly been getting worse, but I'm about 99% convinced it's not broken, just slipping out of its connection: when I open the case to it's full extent, pushing it down past the lock point, the tint goes away and the screen is normal again. Used to be it was fine at the lock point, but it got worse after I dropped it trying to show it off at a drinking party :wacko:

I'd open it up and try to fix it but am afraid of just making it worse and voiding my warranty.
just send it back, mine did that and i got a brand new one back (still a one nubber though :D )

just send it back, mine did that and i got a brand new one back (still a one nubber though :D )
Yeah, that'll take 4 to 6 weeks shipping, at least. I've gotten too used to everything I do with it to wait that long :(

As soon as the nubs start flowing, my second one will arrive I'm sure, and then I'll be able to send it in for repair.

Opening up to reseat the LCD cable _on the pcb_ is not too bad; when you get the purple tint problem, its a totally different one and much more work and probably breaks a couple bits, so you need a new cable. But if the cable is _lose_ on the pcb-side, its not terribly hard to doit yourself, as long as you're careful.

jeff

Back