How The Touchscreen Works?

cosurgi

http://janek.kozicki.pl/
Website
janek.kozicki.pl
I was wondering how Pandora's touchscreen will work. I haven't seen anywhere any mention of stylus - so would it be operated by fingers only? The screen is very small, it's hard to imagine to work on it without a stylus at all.

What about drag and drop, will it work as expected? I touch something and drag it around the screen, and drop it by untouching the screen? What about the ms delay to distinguish between dragging and a single "mouse-click".

Does it mean that we have only a "single mouse button" (that being pressed when the screen is touched). Can some keyboard modifiers simulate pressing another button? Analogue nubs could serve as a mouse scroller, also.

i may be wrong but i think i renember something about the pandora stylus slotting into the case, so quessing on that there will be a stylus and if their isnt then you can use the gp2x one or buy a ds stlyus which will work

cosurgi said:
What about drag and drop, will it work as expected? I touch something and drag it around the screen, and drop it by untouching the screen? What about the ms delay to distinguish between dragging and a single "mouse-click".

Does it mean that we have only a "single mouse button" (that being pressed when the screen is touched). Can some keyboard modifiers simulate pressing another button? Analogue nubs could serve as a mouse scroller, also.
All the above is completely software related - depends how a developer designs their software. As for the main menu, we don't know exactly how it is designed yet

Last edited by a moderator:
I would expect drags and clicks to works as on desktop linux boxen. Press (click) and hold, drag, release. Right click can be either press and hold for X secs or shoulder button + press.

I think it would be cool if, besides of the styles, the Pandora included a plastic thimble (but with a pointed end) for the index finger.

This would have two advantages:
1. We could use the Pandora with the fingers without leaving fingertips on the screen.
2. We could use the Pandora with the finger in a more accurate way.

CoMiKe said:
I think it would be cool if, besides of the styles, the Pandora included a plastic thimble (but with a pointed end) for the index finger.

1. We could use the Pandora with the fingers without leaving fingertips on the screen.
I'm sceptical as to whether there will be one included, but then you can always buy one seperately if needed.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=150270928797

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Finger-Tip-...k/dp/B0007XS250

CoMiKe said:

Can I add a point:
3. It would be a great help in darning socks!

Sorry, couldn't resist :) .

Given the dimensions of the screen, those of us who are interested in a full linux desktop are going to be dragging around some very tiny windows.

I cut out a piece of cardboard and stuck it on the top screen of my DS to see what it would look like. I'm concerned that maybe the touchscreen won't be accurate enough for such fine detail work.

There will be a sytlus.

MWeston said:
The stylus is intended to be stored by coming in the side of the unit and running across the length over top of the two SD cards, ending before it runs into the headphone jack. I think I mentioned before that was something like 100mm of length, give or take a bit.

The interface shuoold be more finger gears though... I mean if people want to use ubuntu that's fine but I mean, have people seen the difference between the iPhone and Windows Mobile? That stylus shit sucks!

RedStar1949 said:
The interface shuoold be more finger gears though... I mean if people want to use ubuntu that's fine but I mean, have people seen the difference between the iPhone and Windows Mobile? That stylus shit sucks!
And that's completely you opinion. I, for one, find the accuracy of a stylus a lot better than a finger interface. Also, you can have more stuff on the screen since the "hot" areas can be smaller.

Tinnus said:
RedStar1949 said:
And that's completely you opinion. I, for one, find the accuracy of a stylus a lot better than a finger interface. Also, you can have more stuff on the screen since the "hot" areas can be smaller.

+1 finger control is fashionable and popular nowadays yet less useful in my opinion.

iphone versus palm/winmob is more complex than you think..

A stylus is very precise; ie: a traditional PDA (palm/winmob/etcetc) uses a couple layers of screen; when they are touched together (pressing in with stylus), they can determine a location; it is very precise, but subject to drift over time as the material changes .. ie: as it ages, or as temperature in the vicinity alters significantly, oir pressure, etc; in general they're very good, but do drift over time and thus need calibration.

An iphone touch screen is very different; it uses eledctrical contact from hyour fingertip to do its magic, and needs no calibration. think of it like LCD cells; iot knows where it is being touched exactly. However, it is very imprecise, and cannot work with a stylus or when finger is in a glove or the like.

So the iphone is great for swooshy stuff and big giant attracgtive buttons; but you can't get much touchable stuff onto a screen, since it ids highly imprecise compared to a dtylus. ie: iphone is mucvh higher res than a lot of PDAs, but its actually got much less data entry space on it.

Stuff to mull over for you ;)

jeff

not true for the iphone not working with a stylus
i have a pen with foil on the tip so it works when i'm wearing gloves
man am i glad they made it electrical contact only
now i can scratch my screen with foil! ;)

My request for devs that're working on the desktop and such. PLEASE allow the option of using the gamepad/keypad for moving around and selecting items. given how I've used the DS I find being able to switch between one or the other a blessing as while in a 'desktop' enviroment I can select and move quicker via arrow keys than touch screen, when it comes to selecting stuff within aps generally the touch screen's better.

Back