How To Change Icons And Names In .fxe?

DaveC

Internal Development
There are many games and emus that just use the default GP32 icon for the .FXE. There are also emus that will have 2 different versions, like Atari800 for example that has cycle exact and normal versions, but the icons and name in the launcher are exactly the same. This is confusing as you have absolutely no clue to as which is which.

Is there a utility somewhere that will allow me to rename the name that shows in the launcher, and replace the default icon with one that I create in a paint program?

you need to get the source, alter it then recompile it i think.

errrrr, no, you don´t It´s as simple as downloading an fxe-header Manipulator for DOS (it´s either on gp32x.de or darfader´s site)

Last edited by a moderator:
right, I forgot that the latest B2fxec allows you to use .fxe as Input. But it doesn´t work everytime (sometimes compressed fxe´s don´t start). So, i´ll look for that header modifier.

Unfortunately, I can´t find it. Neither on this site, nor on darfader´s

right, I forgot that the latest B2fxec allows you to use .fxe as Input. But it doesn´t work everytime (sometimes compressed fxe´s don´t start). So, i´ll look for that header modifier.

Not only the last version of b2fxec allows to change fxe icon and name.

I have been making that since a long time with b2fxec.

And ALL the compressed fxe start on my GP with the last b2fxec.

Because b2fxec is perfect now. :)

Is there one that has a gui or anything? I can't get those dos ones to do anything. I have to type long 120 command strings only to get some cryptic error message. All I need to do is a simple rename so that it shows up in the standard BLU launcher (I don't use any of those shells like Wind-ups) with a different name. The ability to change the icon would be bonus, but not needed.

I use fxe-header to change the names, I never tried to change icons (I do that within YAFL) you can get it here.
Hey, I tried using that and all it does is flash this window for a split second... :(
BTW how do you change icons within YAFL?
If you put a gif file in the YAFL icon folder and give it the same name as the program you want to use it for and change the extension from .gif to .ico YAFL will show it as the icon for that program. (example: for BOR.fxe your icon should be named bor.ico)

You can get icons from my site, there is also a guide that explains how to make your own themes (and icons) link is in my sig.

Is there one that has a gui or anything? I can't get those dos ones to do anything. I have to type long 120 command strings only to get some cryptic error message. All I need to do is a simple rename so that it shows up in the standard BLU launcher (I don't use any of those shells like Wind-ups) with a different name. The ability to change the icon would be bonus, but not needed.
I use a batch-file, this one only changes names: open notepad and copy this into it:
fxe-header -i *****.fxe -o *****.fxe -fix -title "*****"
now save it as a batch file (save as, all files, whatever-name-you-want.batch) and put it in the same folder as fxe-header.

Now when you want to change the internal name for a fxe just right-click the batch file and edit it: swap the first ***** for the name of the fxe, the second ***** for whatever-name-you-want (something different is smart so you still have the file if you mess up, I don't even know if it will overwrite the original file, never tried) and the ***** between the "" for the name you want the program to show. Save it and double-click it and your second file will be there.

I do this to remove version numbers from the programs I use on my GP32.

If you put a gif file in the YAFL icon folder and give it the same name as the program you want to use it for and change the extension from .gif to .ico YAFL will show it as the icon for that program. (example: for BOR.fxe your icon should be named bor.ico)

You can get icons from my site, there is also a guide that explains how to make your own themes (and icons) link is in my sig.

That would work ONLY in YAFL, right? Well the site on your sig is making me consider making YAFL my start-up program... how would I do that? I didn't know you can customize YAFL like that. Im just afraid of losing PhoDrive [its built in my firmware]. Do you know where I can pick up PhoDrive too? [yes, I AM too lazy to look for it myself]

That would work ONLY in YAFL, right? Well the site on your sig is making me consider making YAFL my start-up program... how would I do that? I didn't know you can customize YAFL like that. Im just afraid of losing PhoDrive [its built in my firmware]. Do you know where I can pick up PhoDrive too? [yes, I AM too lazy to look for it myself]
Personally I use Aquafish multifirmware with YAFL. I wouldn't know about PhoDrive (I use a cardreader/writer) so I'm afraid you'll have to figure it out yourself :)
Edit: and yes, that would only work in YAFL.

Personally I use Aquafish multifirmware with YAFL.

I've used that before, but y'know when you turn on your gp32_console how do you make it so it goes directly to YAFL instead of that Zodiac-like layout?
I use Aquafish 4.8 (never had the need to 'upgrade') it uses a boot.ini file and comes with a tool to create your own ini-file. You can also just flash it, load it and from the select screen select YAFL as the default launcher. It will launch straight into YAFL from that moment (but pressing select during boot gives you the option to that change again)

Not only the last version of b2fxec allows to change fxe icon and name.

I have been making that since a long time with b2fxec.

And ALL the compressed fxe start on my GP with the last b2fxec.

Because b2fxec is perfect now. :)

right, but you had to extract the GXB file from the fxe, which made everything a bit more complicated.

Back