How to set up Sam and Max?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
I installed ScummVM (duh). I created \GAME\SAMNMAX and put in the main files.. SAMNMAX.SM0 and SAMNMAX.SM1, and also for fun MONSTER.SOU in case it can be used.

Kick up ScummVM, pick GAME and then PICK SANMMAX so its hilighted.. hit Choose and it says "can't find game in this directory". I tried the obvious of hitting Choose within the direcotry, and while highlted and messing about.. couldnt' get it recognized.

Any ideas?

(I don't have DOTT or Monkey Island or any of the others.. not much luck finding them lieing around. But I do have Sam and Max and it runs on the PC okay, so I know its good).

Any other files I need to copy?

jeff

For that matter.. did he ever release source? I remember a big stink awhile back, as he refused to release source for his port (illegal since ScummVM is under GPL). Theres a lot of this sort of thing going on, which is a shame :/ At least hes updating it so its not dead.

jeff

I believe you have to rename the .SM0 and .SM1 files to .001 and .002 respectively...

I may be wrong (since I'm remembering this from another post!)

Hope it works!

:D

Sweet, that was it. I renamed to 001 and 002 and no good.. but once I renamed to 000 and 001 it worked nice. Even got some talking in the intro screen. Cool :)

Someone needs to sit down and make a FAQ for the GeePee..

ie: Every app is alittle different and needs some screwing around..

Snes9x needs games in the GPMM directory (sucks), SnesEmu needs them in the SNES dir, ScummVM needs them anywhere and you need to name them just right. So far GPengine is the easiest.. just copy the game sinto the directory it crwates, and it just works (whew!)

This is such a *kickass* game machine.

jeff

Shame SAMnMAX only works until the WakARat game in GPscummvm :( Maby it will be fixed in the next release? But not until ph0x gets his gp32 fixed :(

TFC

How far into the game is that? I've never played SnM before.

Is Monkey Island or DOTT good and playable to the end?

jeff

Not very far in :(

DOTT is fully playable....dunno about monkey island.....heard that monkey island 2 dont work though :(

TFC

I've just finished going thru DOTT, MI2 and MI1 (in that order) on the GP32 and have had no probs at all :)

The best thing to do about the wak a rat thing it to play it thu to that point on the PC then copy your save game across (not tried but that makes some sense right?) besides, i'd think that Wak-A-Rat would be damn near impossible using the GP joystick...

Nah i did the WAKaRAT game ok with teh joystick....although it is quite hard. The GPscummvm saves arn't compatible with the PC scummvm :( Unless i was doing something wrong.

TFC

tfc posted on Mar 13 2003 said:
Nah i did the WAKaRAT game ok with teh joystick....although it is quite hard. The GPscummvm saves arn't compatible with the PC scummvm :( Unless i was doing something wrong.

TFC
So it worked? Or does it halt afterwards...?

The fights on Indiana Jones are also a pain in the neck with the joystick - you can't sucker punch them!

Last edited by a moderator:
AukonDK posted on Mar 13 2003 said:
I've just finished going thru DOTT, MI2 and MI1 (in that order) on the GP32 and have had no probs at all :)

The best thing to do about the wak a rat thing it to play it thu to that point on the PC then copy your save game across (not tried but that makes some sense right?) besides, i'd think that Wak-A-Rat would be damn near impossible using the GP joystick...
Sweet! DOTT, MI2 and MI1 are fully -playable right to the end?

I just need to find them then, and get a crack so they don't harass about the protection at the front. I've been watching ebay to not much luck, though I scored a Sam and Max a few days back.. too bad you can't complete it :/

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I found MI1 and 2 in a zip together on kazaa. It was about 11 meg. something like that. worth a look. jace

Back