How to sign up for apps.openpandora.org?

Yes, one more reason to update all the old Files, I would like to see the entire Pandora PND Archive from ED AND Craigs App Store AND the rest of the missing PNDs, found often in the Wiki list in the Repo. :) This really would be an improvement, you can't expect from the average User to seach 4 sources for new Pandora Software, this is Madness.
And I'm not even count the Forums to the list. ^^""

Sure, we all know that. Now the question is, who's up for the task ?

Repackaging something is some painfull works yet very low on the rewards side. I for one haven't finished this work (most is done, but not all).

As said, throw some pnds at me and I'll repackage them and upload corrected versions to the repo, when I find time.

The problem is, if the original authors would be fine with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, we all know that. Now the question is, who's up for the task ?
A programm that automaticly does all that with one click should do that, I imagine ;)

However, I always thought OPT made the PND format to easy handle the programms on the Pandora. But somehow it seems that all the PXML/PND stuff only is a big pain in the ass. Lightyears away from userfriendlyness so it seems. Many people still have trouble to build an propper PND, so why is this so complicated instead of simple and effective? Typical open source mess or complicated on purpose?

PND should be an helpful improvement and not an obstacle where even experienced coders fail to make a propper pnd file. I hope this will get better and more easy in the future. :unsure:

This is not the case. It is sufficiently easy to create valid pxmls. Especially with the tools by foxblock, StreaK and others, that create them from a template.

The bigger problem is, that the specification was not set in stone, when some of the older pnds from apps.o.o were uploaded and the site did not care about correctness of them.

Authors just seem to have abandoned these files and won't touch them again.

With a validationprocess on upload early on, this could have been prevented, but as it is, there are a lot of old, malformed pxmls right now on the appstore.

Edit: on a sidenote: I think it is actually a good idea to not take invalid pxmls on the repo, so people will learthe specs and not flood it with quick recompiles, but have to think a bit before uploading.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bigger problem is, that the specification was not set in stone, when some of the older pnds from apps.o.o were uploaded and the site did not care about correctness of them.
Most of the specification was pretty set from the beginning. A lot of the PXMLs are simply not valid and wouldn't have been fully valid at any point in the life of the PXML standard. They contain enough information to get the thing running and that's it.

A programm that automaticly does all that with one click should do that, I imagine ;)
However, I always thought OPT made the PND format to easy handle the programms on the Pandora. But somehow it seems that all the PXML/PND stuff only is a big pain in the ass. Lightyears away from userfriendlyness so it seems. Many people still have trouble to build an propper PND, so why is this so complicated instead of simple and effective? Typical open source mess or complicated on purpose?

PND should be an helpful improvement and not an obstacle where even experienced coders fail to make a propper pnd file. I hope this will get better and more easy in the future. :unsure:

Everything in IT is complex. The complexity have to be put on someone shoulder.

The PND system aim at making an easy and smooth experience for the user. The omplexity have been put on the dev shoulder.

Even there we have tools to make it easier for the dev too.

In fact it's not hard at all. Just painfull. The repo is pedant on what it accept (for good). I may have to upload 2/3 times the same PNDs before getting it accepted.

There is tools to make validation on my desktop, I just forget to do that 99% of the time

Back