GP2X How To Use Usb Gadget With Xp And Gp2x 2.0.0

crusty posted on May 3 2006 at 03:55 PM said:
There is no root password so leave that field blank in SmartFTP's entry.

I suggest you create a new user with reduced privileges:

adduser -s /bin/bash <username>

and use that as much as possible for subsequent work.
What privileges would that give and where should i create it, just in Sterm?
i tried root; (blank) without result before but i'll trie again and with a new user...
thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacxz posted on May 3 2006 at 02:39 PM said:
crusty posted on May 3 2006 at 03:55 PM said:
There is no root password so leave that field blank in SmartFTP's entry.

I suggest you create a new user with reduced privileges:

adduser -s /bin/bash <username>

and use that as much as possible for subsequent work.
What privileges would that give and where should i create it, just in Sterm?
i tried root; (blank) without result before but i'll trie again and with a new user...
thx
The Linux/Unix user world is divided into root and all the rest.
Privileges are defined by membership in specific groups as
defined in the /etc/group, /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files.
This is standard system administration for which there is plenty
of documentation on-line or in texts.

Following instructions assume you have configured the gp2x as per this thread.
Do not type the surrounding single quote marks when entering text.

1. Use the Start Menu - Run option and type 'telnet'.

2. At the command line prompt type 'open 10.1.0.235'.

3. At the resulting gp2x login prompt type 'root'.

4. There is no password required for this user so you will see the bash
shell prompt: [root@gp2x root]$

5. Type 'adduser -s /bin/hash <yournewusername>'

6. You will be prompted to change the password. Enter it twice as prompted.

7. The new user has been created and you can login to it.

8. Type 'logout'.

9. The connection will be closed.

10. Rerun telnet, type 'open 10.1.0.235' and login as 'yournewusername'.

11. Continue with ordinary GNU/Linux shell commands.

Now try your ftp client from the Windows machine, using the new user
and its password.

Just a couple of extra points ....
  • RFC 1918 assigns 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 and 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 as private address space, i.e. the IP addresses you use should be in these ranges. It's probably easier to just use the same range your machine already uses, assuming you're using a LAN. If you're PC's address is other than these ranges, make sure you use one of the above. Note that the subnet mask for these are 255.0.0.0, 255.224.0.0 and 255.255.0.0 respectively.
  • You may have to tweak your firewall to allow the GP2X to access your machine, or even to mount it as a SAMBA drive.

I can't get the USB Network setting to appear in the Settings screen. I keep scrolling and reopening the menu and it's not there. How do I get it?

lancelott posted on May 3 2006 at 11:01 PM said:
I can't get the USB Network setting to appear in the Settings screen. I keep scrolling and reopening the menu and it's not there. How do I get it?
When you first enter it, the last line on the System
screen is 'ADVANCED'. If you move down once
more the page scrolls one line to show:

Menu Extension ON OFF

Use the joypad left motion to select ON.

Thereafter you can display and change the rest
of the available options:

USB HOST
Usb Host ON OFF ALWAYS ON
Storage ON OFF
Human Interface ON OFF

USB NETWORK
Usb Network ON OFF ALWAYS ON
IP 192. 168. 0. 2

SERVER
Web Server ON OFF ALWAYS ON
FTP, Telnet Server ON OFF ALWAYS ON
Samba Server ON OFF ALWAYS ON

Press 'B' when you have finished editing in order
to save the changes.

SiIV posted on May 6 2006 at 06:01 PM said:
so can the gp2x access pc files using this setup?
yes :D

now I can't get it to work...I follow the procedure exactly and it just doesn't work (under winXP) AND noone is talking about how to make this work in linux and that's what really interests me.

Hi I have been trying to get this working in windows 2000. I created a file called linux.inf with the stuff in the original post and I found the usb8023k.sys file from this zip. I put both files in the same directory and then plugged in my gp2x. When windows asked for the drivers I used my linux.inf. It seems to successfully detect a "Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget" each time but it always has the yellow '!' beside the device name and when I look at the properties it says it isn't working because windows can't load the drivers required. I also tried copying the usb8023k.sys to C:\WINNT\system32 on the off chance but it didn't help. By the way I found this thread quite relevent on the first page.

Any ideas? :blink:

edit: I have found the linux.inf is available here too, I gave it a go but it seems to still not work.

edit2: It would have saved me time earlier but I have just found a nice pack with all you need here. Unfortunately I am still having the same problem as before.

I have been using the 'update driver' option to try new linux.inf's each time, is it possible that I need to do it a different way?

Thanks

Ok I think I have it working now.. I searched every file and registry entry on my pc for references to usb8023. I noticed that in C:\WINNT\system32\drivers there was a copy of usb8023y.sys and RNDISMPY.sys but not usb8023k.sys and RNDISMPK.sys. So I deleted those and put the right files there and it seems to work now. :)

This is what I think the steps should be if you are on Windows 2000:

1:) Download this and extract it somewhere.
2:) Plug the usb into your computer and to your gp2x and turn the gp2x on.
3:) On your gp2x select settings, system, scroll down to advanced and turn on "USB Network" and "FTP, Telnet Server".
4:) When a window pops up on your computer about new hardware it detected select "Search for a suitable driver for my device", then specify a location and point it at where you extracted the files in step one.
5:) All being well the device has now been added, right click on "My Network Places" click properties and you should see a list of network connections. Select the usb ethernet one (Local Area Connection 5 for me) and click properties, then seelct "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click properties and set the ip address and subnet mask to values that match your gp2x's settings.
6:) Now you should be able to open a command prompt and type "telnet 192.168.0.2" to connect to your console (Username is root). That is of course if 192.168.0.2 is what you set its I.P. address to...

I've got several TCP/IP devices on my system. Wireless, ethernet, and the GP2X. I use wireless and ethernet (ICS for my roomate). Now I want to add a third interface (the GP2X). Do each of these have to be in thier own subnet?

Ex:
Wireless is 192.168.1.x
Ethernet is 10.252.3.x
GP2X can be in the 192 subnet?

I think you might have to use bridging if you give the computer IP's in the same subnet on different interfaces (actually you would give it one IP in the subnet this way on the bridge interface), but I've only done stuff like that with linux so I'm not sure how windows would handle it. If you make the assumption that no external stuff has to communicate "through" the computer, it might be easier to use separate subnets; that way there's no confusion when it comes to the computer deciding what interface to send data out to for the different devices.

crusty posted on May 2 2006 at 11:49 PM said:
31. The Windows XP version of the FTP client has problems with the
Windows Firewall so you will need another FTP client program to
do file transfers if you see a message referring to PORT/EPRT and
PASV/EPSV or "no data connection". LeapFTP is a commercial program
that seems to work well (http://www.leapware.com). There are others.

You can ftp directly in from windows explorer with:

ftp://root@10.1.0.235/../mnt/sd/

(assuming your GP2X has the IP in your example obviously)

michaeljustman posted on Jul 2 2006 at 06:58 PM said:
I've got several TCP/IP devices on my system. Wireless, ethernet, and the GP2X. I use wireless and ethernet (ICS for my roomate). Now I want to add a third interface (the GP2X). Do each of these have to be in thier own subnet?

Yes. The OS decides which interface to send packets on based on the subnet.

michaeljustman posted on Jul 2 2006 at 06:58 PM said:
Ex:
Wireless is 192.168.1.x
Ethernet is 10.252.3.x
GP2X can be in the 192 subnet?

It can be on a 192 subnet. You can have one network on 192.168.1.x and another on 192.168.0.x (or 192.168.2.x, etc.). It's pretty much always 192.168.x/24, so you get 256 subnets with up to 254 hosts each.

Brought my GP2X home yesterday. I could not get the USB networking to work (tried several guides but none of them helped). But then I got holy idea: I unplugged my USB card reader from PC and plugged GP2X using CARD READER's CABLE. It made miracles in my case.

Now I've got card reader plugged by original GP2X USB cable and vice versa. So if anyone's having a problem getting USB Networking to work, try this

You probably want to set up samba, then you can mount the computer's shared data onto the gp2x (likely you'd want to make a script to do this).

hi

i can telnet into gp2x but i cannot ping any websites; i followed the instructions from here:http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Fr:Internet_Usb_Cable and used this command:
"route add default gw XX.XXX.XXX.XXX usb0"

and used the ip address of the gp2X. is that the correct ip to use?

any ideas?

cheers

Back