GP2X How To Use Visual C++ 2005 Express

It does not exist, and it is a lot harder to do than "create new empty project, open Custom Build Rules dialog, check GCC build rule". A lot of effort would be required for very little benefit.

Unfortunately, the custom build rules are set per project, not per configuration. To have a Win32 build and a GP2X build, you need two separate projects. Perhaps in a future version of the IDE we will get per-configuration custom build rules, but at least this current version is a huge step up from previous versions of the IDE that had very primitive build rules.

Yes, this was what I meant with my post. I agree that it is much better than it has been, but still - having the build rules be per project feels rather odd.

Still this would I guess be solvable by including the same set of files in two projects.
Then have a #define GP2X or something like that to switch target dependant code.

Still, I dont think I said it before. Thanks for a good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still this would I guess be solvable by including the same set of files in two projects.
Then have a #define GP2X or something like that to switch target dependant code.
I have done that successfully for a project that is for GP2X and Win32. Same source, just separate projects with different defines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just added a new section to the wiki page on building advanced projects. These are solutions that have multiple projects, where some projects might be building libs that other projects in the same solution link with.

Have a read and let me know of any comments.

Hi, I've just bought a Gp2x, mainly to develop on, and have just got the SDL image loading demo thats floating about working. Thanks for all of the (indirect) help on this thread and wiki.

A ) Bloody slashes on ends of paths!

B ) GCC needing a char return at end of file!? wtf?

anyway sorted now, again thanks.

hjd_uk.

Hi all,

I'm sure this is an idiotic question, but I've followed the procedure descibed in the Wiki with the exception of these point:

22. Create a new text file with the extension .link to the project. This is to trigger the arm-linux-link build rule.

Can someone please tell me step-by-step how to do that ?

I've tried building a simple SDL example, but all i get is a .o file in the debug directory (no compiling errors): I guess this is because the linker has not been triggered (that's why you need the .linker file), but I really do not understand how to create it.

I'm sure is simple, but I just cannot manage...

Any help will be appreciated.

In Windows Explorer, in the folder that contains your project, right-click and select New>Text Document. Name the file gcc.link. In Visual Studio, right-click on your project and select Add>Existing Item. Find gcc.link (you may have to select "All files" in file types) and click Ok.

You would have to debug your project to find where the problem is. Debugging is not enabled by default in Visual Studio 2005 Express, so you have to do the following:

- Open the project properties.
- Select Linker > Debugging and set Generate Debug Info to Yes.
- Select C++ > General. Set Debug Information Format to Program Database or Program Database for Edit and Continue.
- Select C++ > Optimization. Set Optimization to Disabled.

When you press F5, you should now be able to step through your program and see where it crashes.

NOTE: This is NOT for GP2X applications. Only for Win32 applications.

Back