How's Amiga Emu Looking?

Hades

Still Fresh
Just wondering how good Amiga emulation is? Any info very much appreciated, thanks :)

try this thread..

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=25402

and this wiki.. http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/UAE4all

Its coming along fine, the interface is actually great considering your trying to use the keyboard, mouse and joystick as you do with a reeal Amiga.

If theres one problem, its the sound, it could do with better sound emulation, and not every game works.

My wish list would be working 100% but Im not coding it, am I?

presets enabled for each game would also be nice, critical ;)

E

Last edited by a moderator:
I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was (after naysayers claiming it would be impossible). I can play most games quite well if I overclock enough (at least 250mhz). Sound is not very good in most games, but turning it off also speeds things up :)

Compatability is okay, from experience around 70+%. Trying different roms/cracks/wb's helps.

Playing stuff like Vroom, Datastorm and Hunter on a handheld is a real thrill!

I'd recommend trying the normal version of 0.5.1 first, as the MMU-hacked one is still a little buggy and may give you the wrong impression. So get used to 0.5.1 then compare it to the MMU one and report your experience in the thread elvgren linked to.

My test game is always first "Menace". Why? Well, it was the first disk I purchased with my new $600 Amiga 500 back in the late eighties/early nineties...can't remember the date :)

It runs very well with a little setting tweaking. Sounds great too. This is one of my favorite emulators. I shoudl really try more of the Psyclapse/Psygnosis titles....maybe Agony...

Normally I test out Paradroid '90 and Speedball 2 first. Those games slightly push most of the abilities of any Amiga, including direction based stereo sound, fast moving graphics, lots of colors.

For multiple disk games, I would give Syndicate or Stardust (PAL) a whirl. Stardust REALLY puts the A500 to the test, as it uses raytraced graphics, amazing color, a full PAL-sized scrren and has some amazing visual effects that the stock A500 needed an accelerator to run at a good speed during the really active parts. Amen for the Atec020 board.

Woo, could that thing make the A500 fly. Came with an 020/881 (Math Co-pro) and a SIMM slot for 72-pin simms, up to 8 megs, for 9 total. Seeing 9 megs on the Workbench 2.1 screen was quite a treat. Made for a lightning fast workbench when you amended your startup-sequence to copy the system to RAD:

zektor posted on Jul 4 2006 at 07:35 AM said:
My test game is always first "Menace". Why? Well, it was the first disk I purchased with my new $600 Amiga 500 back in the late eighties/early nineties...can't remember the date :)

It runs very well with a little setting tweaking. Sounds great too. This is one of my favorite emulators. I shoudl really try more of the Psyclapse/Psygnosis titles....maybe Agony...

First of all, hello GP2X scene. I've had mine for a couple of months since I sold my GP32 and I love it. :D

I also use that game as a test for the reason that it was the first shmup I played on an Amiga.
When you run it in the emulator do you find the collision detection doesn't work too well?
I'm unable to collect any power-ups.

Other than that, I'd say the Amiga emulator is pretty good. I enjoy playing Project X on it.
It was fun to load Workbench too, if a bit useless.

Yep, I had an A500 with WB 2.1, 1 GIG HD (large for the time), 5 megs of ram total, a pal/ntsc switch, 1702 monitor and MANY games.

I notice when I load wb 1.3 on the GP2X, I keep having to reset the screen to center using Preferences. Anyone else notice this? Tried saving but it's not working.

X-Code posted on Jul 4 2006 at 09:20 AM said:
Good to see some real Amigans around here B)
That it is :) Makes me feel very at home (still don't consider myself a "PC Person")...

at as for the Emu at it works great ( leaving aside the small audio issues ).
Tested the emu with the "Jesus On E's" demo (blast from the past!) and it's a little slow but it works!
The sound is a little out but then the 2x is emulating the whole Amiga and running a pretty intensive demo.
Very very cool emu.

And Critical if your reading this, TAKE YOUR TIME (the more people pressure him, the less work he does :) )

Commodore Amiga 2000 rev. 6.7 B + Opalvision 24 + Cybervision 64 3D + Blizzard 68060 / 50 + Genlock Electronic Design +++
:)
Commodore Amiga A500, real time clock and 1/2 meg upgrade (Deceased)
Commodore Amiga A500+, 1.5Meg upgrade, real time clock, GVP 590 HD+ (or what ever the model number was for the thing on the leftside was!), and external floppy drive (sold)
Commodore Amiga A2000, 14400Baud modem, 4*52Meg SCSI drives, Monitor, Printer (used to run a BBS)
and Lastly (my fav)
Commodore Amiga A1200, 2Meg Chip, 8Meg Fast, 68040, MMU, FPU, SCSI card, Phillips 8833MkII monitor, Brother 24Pin Colour printer, 2*52Meg SCSI, 109Meg SCSI and a 300Meg FULL height SCSI, Tape streamer, 250Meg (3.5Inch drive, case hacked to make it sit outside) IDE drive, trackball and external A2000 keyboard soldered to the motherboard for "remote" use. (Still in the loft, awaiting the day of it's return :) )

Those were the days.... :)

Winterkid posted on Jul 4 2006 at 08:29 AM said:
I notice when I load wb 1.3 on the GP2X, I keep having to reset the screen to center using Preferences. Anyone else notice this? Tried saving but it's not working.

UAE4ALL doesnt save to disks yet. I think it is a left over issue from the dreamcast version which I believe saves to the VMU. critical was going to have a look at it some time in the future.

Overall it is a great emulator but a bit of a shame no other devs have picked up the source and had a play around to see what else can be improved. critical has been busy with other projects lately but I for one am very greatful for what has been done so far. The PSP Uae had an update yesterday so I am going to check that out tonight but last time I checked UAE4ALL was by far the superior amiga emulator.

edit: Oh did this thread become a list your amigas thread? :D

Amiga1000, 3.5meg memory
Amiga 1000, 2meg memory
A500, 3meg + A590 fully populated with 6gig HDD and CDROM
A500, 1meg + A590 fully populated with 8gig HDD
3x Stock A500
A2000, 8meg, A2091 with 6gig HDD, PC286 card and CDROM
2x CDTV
CD32
A1200, 1230MkIV@50mHz 64meg with 8gig HDD and DVDROM

3x1084S and a whole crap load of bits and pieces.

Some more stuff on the way too;)

Some sweet setups there. Here's mine:

A1200 68030 / Cobra 030 MMU 28 Mhz Accelerator with 33 Mhz68882 coprocessor / 8Mb RAM 72 pin Simm mod / 1GB HD / DKB Ferret SCSI 2 card / Sony Quad CD ROM with Squirrel SCSI interface

Sitting next to my PC, below my C128. Haven't turned either C= on for over a year, unfortunately. Must get time for a play. I bought WHD and had started transferring all my games onto the miggy hard drive, but only got 1/10 of the way :D

edit: Iorgy77, you are the Amiga lord!

Iorgy77 posted on Jul 4 2006 at 09:47 AM said:
edit: Oh did this thread become a list your amigas thread? :D
:rolleyes:

Some more stuff on the way too;)
More? After that long list of goodies and you're getting more? Lucky you :)
How large is your study/house? ;)

To stay on topic, UAE4All does have a few limitations, as Iorgy77 mentions, the saving doesn't work (at least last time I tried it) although that doesn't stop the fun.

UAE4ALL doesnt save to disks yet. I think it is a left over issue from the dreamcast version which I believe saves to the VMU. critical was going to have a look at it some time in the future.

Well, overall you seem to be right with this as when I try it says its saving but never does, I tried Dungeon Master, Deutrious and Cannon fodder amongst others, BTW I got my saves from BTTR when it was around, although I made my DM save from my PC with Winuae.

But here is the strange one, I can save at least one game, the game is Black Crypt, dont know whats different but it does work fine. I had this idea that the other saves were write protected but have not had a chance to back up my theory..

Great to see Amigans in here, I just sold my 1200, this was upgraded with internal ide 4gb, Blizzard 1230 IV 128mb mem and lots of accessories I got £230 for it. I also still have a A500+ with 2mb ram upgrade in the house somewhere, complete with a brand spanking new Konix Speedking joystick, IMO the best stick ever from that era..

E

elvgren posted on Jul 4 2006 at 10:17 AM said:
But here is the strange one, I can save at least one game, the game is Black Crypt, dont know whats different but it does work fine. I had this idea that the other saves were write protected but have not had a chance to back up my theory..

You should PM critical with that info about Black Crypt in case he doesn't see this thread. Could be useful.

gaterooze posted on Jul 4 2006 at 12:47 PM said:
You should PM critical with that info about Black Crypt in case he doesn't see this thread. Could be useful.

you know what, you are of course correct! will do it right away.. hope it helps. :)

E

elvgren posted on Jul 4 2006 at 02:31 PM said:
LOL.. as you speak I was typing
just tell me where to send..
Well, I don't really think you're getting anything to save...

Please describe what it is that's happening that leads you to that conclusion.

ookay , I loaded the save, moved on and saved it seemed to work and thats whats on my card, now that was two weeks ago.

BUT, now after testing for an hour it wont save as you rightly say, well sorry Elvgen is an ass... and wont report what he does not know for sure. :wacko:

It does seem I was wrong, but how the hell did that gamesave, save exactly where I stopped? seems odd to me.. perhaps I choose save and play or only other thing I can think is in a previous save on the PC I stopped exactly where I saved before..

Again sorry to all for getting your hopes up, I dont usually report wrong info and try my best to keep things correct.

I'll go now, head bowed in shame.. (heckles & boos from the crowd).

e :wacko:

Back