Howto Set Up Psx Emulation Under Linux :(

CCmachined

After 3 hours googling, and trying things, I'm fed up. How do you do it?

System:
  • Ubuntu 8.10, with libgtk1.2 installed
  • Athlon 64 X2 4200
  • 512mb DDR2 ram
  • GeForce 6600 256mb
  • Over 15GB free disk space
Attempted emulators:
psx4all: doesn't seem to exist for x86 Linux

PCSX: Can't find plugins required. NGemu doesn't host them anymore and nowhere seems to have them

"Kethinov's custom PCSX package v1.2 (2007-11-19)" from ubuntuforums: crashes with a GUI message telling me
CODE
PA Init error: Host error.
On line: 151
In file: CDDAData.cpp

ePSXe: Haven't tried yet, i remember it was buggy when i tried it a few months ago, plus its closed source
pSX: crashes with
CODE
[src/linux/sound.cpp, line 215]: 'snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access(pcm_handle,hwparams,SND_PCM_ACCESS_MMAP_INTERLEAVED)' returned 'Invalid argument'
pad=0
Segmentation fault

Mupen64 and Mupen64+ for the N64 just work great, so I'm completely stumped...

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Consequence9 posted on May 31 2009 at 03:08 PM said:
Epsxe is the only one I got running decently. It runs perfectly when set up right.
you could always try the latest windows version of epsxe in wine, ive run it in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consequence9 posted on May 31 2009 at 03:08 PM said:
Epsxe is the only one I got running decently. It runs perfectly when set up right.
you could always try the latest windows version of epsxe in wine, ive run it in there.
Yeah. I've actually never had a problem with the windows version of EPSXE in wine, it runs maybe even better than in windows =P

I've recently settled on pSX. I'm not sure if it was GPL, but the binaries from their page work nicely even on 64bit if you just get the appropriate libraries. IMO it works better than pcsx-df or epsxe, which I've used in the past, but always had problems with. With pSX, well, it just works.

I've recently settled on pSX. I'm not sure if it was GPL, but the binaries from their page work nicely even on 64bit if you just get the appropriate libraries. IMO it works better than pcsx-df or epsxe, which I've used in the past, but always had problems with. With pSX, well, it just works.
Got a link to their website?

I've been using ePSXe for about 7 months now on Ubuntu without WINE. It works pretty darn well as long as you have the right plugins and configure them properly. That said, it may take some tweaking for each game, and getting Lunar: Silver Star Story to display properly was a bit of a hassle. Once you know what to google ("Ignore black brightness color"), it get easier. :D

Back