Huawei vs the USA and their lapdogs

There's as much bi-party in US as in Russia or China.
But I must admit that the marketing to make believe so is well executed.

Huawei is to China what Samsung is to Korea. The state won't let it die.

They can produce as much smart phones with arm chips as they want for the Chinese market for almost billion 1.5 billion customers. Who is gonna stop them, the Chinese goverment? Most dependent / poor neighbours (Vietnam, India e.g.) will also import the arm phones from China.

Risc V has currently about 10-20% of the performance of an ARM cpu and the GPUs have a long way to go. But this is key technology. China already spend over 40 Billion Dollars on developing new CPUs. I am seeing Chinese exchange Students all over my university. They will do it. And most likely on Risc V basis. There are already solutions with drivers ready (except for GPU). But it is classic linux. Someone has to port android / replicant to it.

Or use hns project code like QTMoko, OsmoBB and the open source code to create something like sailfish OS. But be assured that China has lots of money and will use it to create needed key technology. And this is not a democracy. If the leadership wants to reach a goal in 10 years, they will reach it. There are no big elections in between. And they will reach it, no matter what is costs. In money, environment destruction or human life.

they can continue to produce all the chips they have designed so far, ARM simply won't give them licenses for new designs anymore

also Huwai did design a (higher end) processor on their own without using the ARM Cortex core, not sure how the licensing on something like that would work out though ? ARM compatible perhaps ???

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/hisilicon/microarchitectures/taishan_v110

Huawei is to China what Samsung is to Korea. The state won't let it die.

They can produce as much smart phones with arm chips as they want for the Chinese market for almost billion 1.5 billion customers. Who is gonna stop them, the Chinese goverment?

Huwai is the Chinese goverment

Can't the world just simply ignore everything, what Baby Trumpy yells out every day? What can go wrong?
It's bigger than Trump. This is power (political/technological) chess at world level. This is USA based tech companies struggling and losing the tech battle and trying to hurt the new world leader. It will not be forgotten. Expect retaliation once the power has shifted. Hope EU is not dragged down with it.

edit: Note that the battle is between corporations, which have housing in USA versus Chinese corporations, and now, both governments are involved somehow.

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
When I worked for Ford Australia, I managed the development of the Ford Dealer Communication Centre website. A one stop shop for all communication with dealers across the country. A little while later to get into China , Ford had to partner with a company called Changan. They built the first Ford plant in Chongqing, and soon after I went over to setup the dealer communication website for them and train them all on how to use it. When I started work there for three weeks, it was weird. The Ford half were all over from Ford US and were pretty normal - casual. But working with them were Changan staff, and they were almost military , the way they dressed , their dameaner etc. Later I found out that Changan used to make weaponry for the Chinese governement

Reactions: rSl
And to no ones surprise. Oh Huawei is a major security risk, but we can allow them back as part of a trade deal. Aha, if anyone is still unsure on what this is about, now you know

Last edited:
The...what now?
[doublepost=1558717479,1558717338][/doublepost]
Please merge with world news.
I disagree. People who've ignored the world news thread might still be interested in this world/tech news thread. And I say that as someone who posted news related to this in the world news thread before this thread existed to my knowledge.

And to no ones surprise. Oh Huawei is a major security risk, but we can allow them back as part of a trade deal. Aha, if anyone is still unsure on what this is about, now you know
So, US products are no security risk? ;) I remember, not a to long time ago, there were some interesting Snowden leaks that revealed how the USA spied on basicly EVERYONE. :oops: I would not recommend to use Cisco hardware for instance...
But the more important question here is: why no Country reacted to this espionage reveals with bans like the USA now react to China? I mean, THAT would have been interesting for sure.
Double standards suck, that's what I want to say.

Back