Release Hugo-Pandora V1.1.0

Exophase said:
Wolfsclaw said:
Lying in bed playing bomberman online > sitting on table with loud PC playing battflefield XXXXXVIII~ while back hurts ;)

So count me in for netplay.

If there's any chance for a master server listing all current servers and if that'd be accessible via the emu itself, that would make things EXTREMELY convenient and surely a huge success. "type in ip address" would work as well, but it would be a pain in the butt to having to always find open servers / people with too much free time.
Nevertheless, i'm really excited here :)

Not how it'll work, it'll be strictly peer to peer, with one person "serving" just to have an IP to form a socket connection to. I'll probably make an IRC channel to go find people to play with.

I can code a listing for this in to pandora apps if you want me to.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
I can code...

not to be mean craigy, but that made me smirk :)
I code worse than you though, I lack experience at all, and I only know c/c++ so I shouldn't comment xD

craigix said:

Thanks, but I don't think a listing will be very useful unless a person is willing to start the emulator and sit there and wait for someone to join. Then they have to go update the listing to have it removed.

At any rate, this whole thing needs to get out the door in some basic workable form before worrying about things like this.

Exophase said:
craigix said:

Thanks, but I don't think a listing will be very useful unless a person is willing to start the emulator and sit there and wait for someone to join. Then they have to go update the listing to have it removed.

At any rate, this whole thing needs to get out the door in some basic workable form before worrying about things like this.

Well obviously we would work out a solution for that, I was already thinking of using twitter for it.

GizmoTheGreen said:
craigix said:
I can code...

not to be mean craigy, but that made me smirk :)
I code worse than you though, I lack experience at all, and I only know c/c++ so I shouldn't comment xD

I'm confused, what do you mean?

haha, nothing, i just remembered the thread where you and dflemstr were arguing a bit, thats all, sorry for bringing it up, haha...

GizmoTheGreen said:
haha, nothing, i just remembered the thread where you and dflemstr were arguing a bit, thats all, sorry for bringing it up, haha...

Yeah, well I've been programming all my life, my first job was writing Gameboy color games in (z80) assembler.

craigix said:
Yeah, well I've been programming all my life, my first job was writing Gameboy color games in (z80) assembler.

Ahhh... so that's where the ix comes from :)

The Z80 index registers.... That takes me back....

craigix said:
GizmoTheGreen said:

I don't doubt you on that man, but webdesign and programming are two different things, even if both are "coding" :)
Anyway, let's drop the subject.

I respect you man, too much. whenever i think about you my thoughts begin to use your dialect! XD

GizmoTheGreen said:
craigix said:
GizmoTheGreen said:

I don't doubt you on that man, but webdesign and programming are two different things, even if both are "coding" :)

I respect you man, too much. whenever i think about you my thoughts begin to use your dialect! XD

:lol: Well done with the web design/programming differencing.

I don't doubt you think you're a programmer :)

EvilDragon said:
Ohhh... I'd love to play a 4-Players-Bomberman match sometime in the future :D
And Battle Lode Runner?
grin.gif

GizmoTheGreen said:
craigix said:
GizmoTheGreen said:

Who was talking about web design? I was talking about writing a perl based program to serve up the IP addresses for exo.

You do release that behind all that HTML are real programming languages serving it up and doing all the things you don't see?

craigix said:
GizmoTheGreen said:

You also did that great Doom port on the GP32 right? That had the best frontend for choosing WADs.

I miss that as all current ports are crap for selecting WADs ;)

Exophase said:
DaveC said:
..My choice in that area would probably to have made it compatible with more of the actual games such as Supergrafx and Arcade card support etc. ..

It already has arcade card support...
Ok corrected :p

This did make me think of something else. How hard would it be for someone to use this net thing for other emus? Lynx comes to mind as that was made for multiplayer (I know you wouldn't do Lynx but someone else might).

GizmoTheGreen said:
I don't doubt you on that man, but webdesign and programming are two different things, even if both are "coding"  :)

The Pandora appstore is written in Perl. :p

DaveC said:
Ok corrected :p

This did make me think of something else. How hard would it be for someone to use this net thing for other emus? Lynx comes to mind as that was made for multiplayer (I know you wouldn't do Lynx but someone else might).

Funny that you think that, given that PC-Engine has way more multiplayer games than Lynx does (although only a few support TurboConnect)

Emulating a serial link is different from emulating two controllers. You have to either try to emulate the serial connection over the internet or you emulate multiple instances of the emulator, emulate the serial link locally, and go back to synchronizing button presses. Good luck, with emulating a serial link I've yet to see this work successfully; VBALink does this but is nowhere near playable on the internet. I don't think it can really be done very well because you can't eat inject latency like you can with button presses - if the games are designed to work at a given latency you will need to support that, and a direct wired serial connection is obviously much lower latency than an internet connection (or even any kind of wifi connection, usually). So you'd end up with bandwidth = latency, which is unsuitable for emulation.

Emulating multiple instances can be a problem if the codebase wasn't designed for it, and of course uses more CPU. You don't have to emulate video and audio on the non-primary ones though (unless you want to cheat).

Either way for something like Lynx it'd probably be a pretty big change.

I'm probably not making my code GPL any time soon, and most emulators are under this license, so it probably won't work out. But I might change my mind depending on how things go.

Exophase, you definitely wont be releasing Temper until you've nailed netplay?

jonlad1 said:
Exophase, you definitely wont be releasing Temper until you've nailed netplay?

Nailed or given up on it! I won't spend an excessive amount of time.

Back