I Am A Nooob

dak

Still Fresh
But I was wondering what the benefit of having two memory card slots would be.

i suppose were all noobs to the pandora... dual sdhc slots are amazingly useful, you can have two storage cards (two 16gb cards are alot cheaper than a 32gb card), you can have a storage card and an sdio card which could be a bluetooth receiver, gps, camera, accelerometer (anything is possible), or you can have a storage card and a commerical game (maybe one day).

Just being able to copy files between the two cards can come in very handy. At first I thought the same thing, "why?" but now I think it's a very attractive addition.

My nokia n800 has two slots and it is brilliant! It's like having a hard disk and an external disk.

Just so useful.

GunPei2X said:
Just being able to copy files between the two cards can come in very handy. At first I thought the same thing, "why?" but now I think it's a very attractive addition.
Indeed. </Teal'c> :D
I'll be using this feature to perform quick .rc-fixes and upgrades to the apps on my GP2X's cards without the need to bring my laptop along (because my GP2X resides at the house of a retrogaming friend "until further notice" - which will probably be "forever" if the Pandora turns out well). :lol: It'll also be great for exchanging music/roms/movies between the Pandora and the GP2X during road trips (also eliminating the need for bringing a powerhungry and large laptop along for the ride). :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. said:
^ Hehe Pandora as a GP2X companion :D
Yes, well... hadn't really thought of it like that, but it makes sense, in a weird kind of way. :lol: Thing is, as I won't be using the GP2X myself after I get the Pandora, but I'll still probably perform support for it for the current user, I don't want to bring my (17") laptop every time I just need do a quick upgrade or some other minor tweak. :)

Well you would beable to have to cards in that could be for different things like one could be media where the other would be games, or one could be storage and the other be a wifi card.

#1 GameMaster said:
Well you would beable to have to cards in that could be for different things like one could be media where the other would be games, or one could be storage and the other be a wifi card.
Not that you'd really need wifi, as it's built in;)

What would be great however, would be bluetooth :)

Goobers said:
#1 GameMaster said:

Yeah sorry about that I just wasn't thinking because I got distracted, but anyways bluetooth would be cool though.

#1 GameMaster said:
Goobers said:
#1 GameMaster said:

Yeah sorry about that I just wasn't thinking because I got distracted, but anyways bluetooth would be cool though.

EyeFi should make a BlueEye card that works as a bluetooth dongle. That'd be very useful. BTW, can anyone link me to a list of Bluetooth dongles that work with Linux and where to get the drivers that allow them to?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
#1 GameMaster said:
Goobers said:
#1 GameMaster said:

EyeFi should make a BlueEye card that works as a bluetooth dongle. That'd be very useful. BTW, can anyone link me to a list of Bluetooth dongles that work with Linux and where to get the drivers that allow them to?

-God Ginrai

As far as I know, just about any Bluetooth dongle will work with Linux. The Bluetooth support is partially in the kernel. (If you're using a distro like Ubuntu or Mandriva you have nothing to worry about, you only have to worry about the kernel if you compile your own/use a distro like Gentoo.) Bluez, the most common Bluetooth stack on Linux, has been supported by the kernel since 2.4.6. To get Bluez working, check the available packages for your distro to see if there are any Bluez packages available (the actual stack layer needs to be installed). Search Google to see if there are specific instructions for Bluetooth on that distro.

A list of supported devices can be found at http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/features.html. Other devices might work, but these are known to work correctly.

It will also be useful as a companion to an older SD camera or camera phone, so you can leave a 16gb sdhc card in your pandora, and pull photos from the other device's SD card onto it, without needing to buy a new camera!

Vorporeal said:
As far as I know, just about any Bluetooth dongle will work with Linux. The Bluetooth support is partially in the kernel. (If you're using a distro like Ubuntu or Mandriva you have nothing to worry about, you only have to worry about the kernel if you compile your own/use a distro like Gentoo.) Bluez, the most common Bluetooth stack on Linux, has been supported by the kernel since 2.4.6. To get Bluez working, check the available packages for your distro to see if there are any Bluez packages available (the actual stack layer needs to be installed). Search Google to see if there are specific instructions for Bluetooth on that distro.

A list of supported devices can be found at http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/features.html. Other devices might work, but these are known to work correctly.

Perhaps something that can be integrated into the firmware at some point? (Or at least made into some kind of patch and installed via a script)

I for one plan to get a pair of the cheap fall-apart 4GB cards and leave them in as much as possible (Using Wifi and an external USB HDD to download content). Even if I have to remove a card the swapping will be much reduced.

Come to think of it everything uses SD now, including the Wii, so you could use it to manage/copy content for other stuff.

I think it is brilliant personally, it gives you a world of options (listen to a music collection or watch a movie while you remove an SD to update games/progs/emulators, copy files back and forth, maybe even SD Raid?)

Of course if peripherals over SD are used then it would stand to reason that one of the SD slots would "lose" the ability to be used for storage, so 2 is the minimum.

Back