I Bought This Joypad, Need Help To Get It To Work

zakhooi

Still Fresh
Hi,

I bought this joypad:
http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=26

I choose this one because it comes with no CD (so no drivers) and it's supposed to be plug-and-play.
However, it turns out to be plug-and-pray.... none of the emus I use (vice2x, neogeo and amiga) work with this joystick.

Is there any driver or patch I have to install?

Please help me out here, I really want to play vice2x with joysticks.

Thanks in advance

First, did you enable usb host in the GP2X settings/system menu?
Second, do these emu's explicitly mention usb joystick compatibility?
Third, this is kinda weird, but you might have to modify the emu's script to insmod joydev (This seems to be one of those things that I rarely have problems with (thankfully)

I'd suggest using MAME or GPFCE to test if your usb joystick works atleast

Hooka said:
First, did you enable usb host in the GP2X settings/system menu?
Second, do these emu's explicitly mention usb joystick compatibility?
Third, this is kinda weird, but you might have to modify the emu's script to insmod joydev (This seems to be one of those things that I rarely have problems with (thankfully)

I'd suggest using MAME or GPFCE to test if your usb joystick works atleast
Thanks for your hints.
Of course I activated USB host function (forgot to mention).
The joystick appears to work fine with mame.

Now the challenge is to make shore the joystick works for the emus I mentioned earlier.
I can load joydev manually using '/sbin/insmod joydev' using sterm.
I also tried to make a start script for vice2x, the script only had these contents:

/sbin/insmod joydev
./x64

And I put this script in the vice2x folder.

vice2x starts up fine but the joystick doesn't work anymore.
I don;t understand, I manually loaded the kernel module for the joypad, looks like vice2x unloads this driver.

Any suggestions how to proceed from here?

You help is appreciated....

Last edited by a moderator:
the last vice release has joy support make sure you select the right game port

Thank you for the binary.
However, I can't get it to work.
I am aware of the gameport selection.

When I start this new x64 binary the screen goes black for about half a minute and then it crashes/closes the emu and I'm back in de gp2x desktop.
THis happens when I start x64 while the gp2x is docked in the cradle and a joystick is connected (with USB enabled in the gp2x settings).

When I start x64 when it's NOT in the cradle the emu starts up properly.
THen I try to place it in the cradle while switched on, but joystick is not usable that way.

Could it be related to the gp2x version?
I have firmware 3.0.0 and my device is a F100 mkII.

I know for sure the joystick is working (it tested it with 'usbjoy') and it works with mame.

Please help.

Thanks in advance

I have exactly the same problem.

I am using a cradle with a usb keyboard and usb joystick

VICE and UAE4ALL seem to completely ignore the USB devices.

In the VICE logfile - I can see errors with the keyboard mapping. Anyone got any ideas? Id really love to use the GP2X as an enhanced C64 if possible as there are lots of games that are just too tedious to play on the virtual keyboard and I'd rather not wear out my precious GP2X controls!

Cheers for any advice

ZakHooi said:
Thank you for the binary.
However, I can't get it to work.
I am aware of the gameport selection.

When I start this new x64 binary the screen goes black for about half a minute and then it crashes/closes the emu and I'm back in de gp2x desktop.
THis happens when I start x64 while the gp2x is docked in the cradle and a joystick is connected (with USB enabled in the gp2x settings).

When I start x64 when it's NOT in the cradle the emu starts up properly.
THen I try to place it in the cradle while switched on, but joystick is not usable that way.

Could it be related to the gp2x version?
I have firmware 3.0.0 and my device is a F100 mkII.

I know for sure the joystick is working (it tested it with 'usbjoy') and it works with mame.

Please help.

Thanks in advance
Nobody?... please help....

thanks....

Last edited by a moderator:
I downgraded to 2.1.2 to find out whether that would make the joystick work but unfortunately without luck.

Any suggestions?

Hi peeps!

I'm am a real big C64 fan and have been waiting for USB keyboard and joystick support on the GP2x for ages. It's a real shame VICE and FRODO are lacking it and I can't see why as the Linux port works fine with these USB devices.

Lets start a bounty up for successful implementation of the code.

I am willing to contribute £30 into the pot. Who else will join the fray? B)

It's a really big shame that amiga emulator is not working with joystick, the only problem is the emu doesn't support joysticks that's why it doesn't work with joystick.

I second the opinion - Also a keyboard emulator for these (and of course the humble speccy) would be amazing!

Back