I Desire A Tactical Simulation Rpg!

el_pango

Exactly what the title of this thread says, a game where units move in turns, combat each other and level up, with billboarded sprites for the actors, fully 3D backgrounds and a freely revolvable camera (something like Phantom Brave or Shining Force III).

I can contribute the following:
  • Low-polygon-count trees/plants/structures/vehicles
  • Textures
  • A map editor
  • Hero sprites
  • Original music
  • An allegro-based rendering engine capable of displaying it all at around 24-30 fps
  • Any other required coding nonsense (stupid palette tricks, abusing allegro's lighting model to get distance fog, getting fblend to compile, modding/abusing allegro's 3D functions to make them add sprites to the zbuffer, etc)
What I cannot contribute and am asking for help on:
  • Manga-style character art
  • Monster ideas
  • Monster sprites
  • A coherent story (preferably something a bit silly and heartwarming, with a touch of romance, japanese rpg cliches cheerfully welcomed)
  • Dialogue
  • Help on lex and yacc
  • Help implementing scripts so that world events can be edited without changing the code
  • Recommendations on what library to use for sound playback (allegro's sound seems to bog the machine down a bit)
Anyone out there with a great story, great monster designs, and/or knowledge of how to implement some kind of scripting interested in teaming up? I always hear a lot of people complain that there isn't enough 3D content and there aren't any RPGs on this thing (indeed, I've complained about that last one) - shall we solve both problems? :D

el_pango posted on Oct 12 2006 at 09:23 PM said:
Exactly what the title of this thread says, a game where units move in turns, combat each other and level up, with billboarded sprites for the actors, fully 3D backgrounds and a freely revolvable camera (something like Phantom Brave or Shining Force III).

I can contribute the following:
  • Low-polygon-count trees/plants/structures/vehicles
  • Textures
  • A map editor
  • Hero sprites
  • Original music
  • An allegro-based rendering engine capable of displaying it all at around 24-30 fps
  • Any other required coding nonsense (stupid palette tricks, getting fblend to compile, modding allegro's 3D functions to add sprites to the zbuffer, etc)
What I cannot contribute and am asking for help on:
  • Monster ideas
  • Monster sprites
  • A coherent story (preferably something a bit silly and heartwarming, with a touch of romance, japanese rpg cliches cheerfully welcomed)
  • Dialogue
  • Help on lex and yacc
  • Help implementing scripts so that world events can be edited without changing the code
  • Recommendations on what library to use for sound playback (allegro's sound seems to bog the machine down a bit)
Anyone out there with a great story, great monster designs, and/or knowledge of how to implement some kind of scripting interested in teaming up? I always hear a lot of people complain that there isn't enough 3D content and there aren't any RPGs on this thing (indeed, I've complained about that last one) - shall we solve both problems? :D

Please consider uploading your content to Project Infinity. The site's purpose is to encourage homebrew development.

Last edited by a moderator:
el_pango posted on Oct 12 2006 at 08:23 PM said:
[/list]What I cannot contribute and am asking for help on:
  • Manga-style character art
  • Monster ideas
  • Monster sprites
  • Dialogue

• i can do that.
    not much else, other than the stuff you can do.
    i still cant program yet.

but i can draw.
    and write.

if you need anything just ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love a game like this!

But, the only thing I could help with would be the writing and voiceacting, if you ever felt the need for a 16 year old voice in such a game. <.<

I could high level debug (as opposed to blackbox debug) problems, playtest, and edit the script.
edit: if the scripting language used was simple enough, i could also create some basic events.

Thanks to everyone who replied! Expect PMs shortly.

If we're serious about doing this, we should do the following:
  1. create a forum, mailing list or other method of staying in touch and on the same page
  2. choose a story (can be rough and not 100% ironed out at this point)
  3. draw up a wishlist of features
  4. choose a ringleader that's good at defusing disagreements and keeping everyone motivated (not me - better at talking to machines than I am to people, sadly ;) ).
I had hoped to post a demo or something this week, but I've completely wrecked get_camera_matrix() while trying to alter it and now my program doesn't work :angry: . I'll fix sometime this week, and then we can talk about what can be done with it.

As I say, I don't (yet) know anything about integrating a script interpreter into a game engine (never needed this capability), so if anyone out there watching this thread has done this before and could provide guidance or point me to a tutorial, that'd be appreciated, too.

Back