GP2X I Had A Few Crazy Ideas Because I Was Bored.

idjit626

I hear that the GP2X can not emulate Game Boy Advanced and SNES very well because of it being a emulator on top of the GP2X OS.

Then 2 ideas randomly popped into my head, I have no idea if they will work but I figure I would tell you them anyway.

How about make a program that goes onto a SD card, and when you start the GP2X it will ask if you want to start the GP2X OS or the Emulator OS of your choice? That way it would take out the problem of the GP2X OS running in the background on the GP2X?

OR OR OR

Make a program that decompiles SNES/GBA games then recompiles them into a playable game on the GP2X so you do not need to run a emulator to play them?

Don't flame me I am just trying to help. :unsure:

Viking said:
Make a program that decompiles SNES/GBA games then recompiles them into a playable game on the GP2X so you do not need to run a emulator to play them?
You can't decompile code, if you could then we could view the source of everything and the world wouldn't suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Viking said:
I hear that the GP2X can not emulate Game Boy Advanced and SNES very well because of it being a emulator on top of the GP2X OS.
There's a pretty good chance that you heard this from a complete moron who doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

thejoeandchip said:
Viking said:
You can't decompile code, if you could then we could view the source of everything and the world wouldn't suck.

Well you can HEX edit anything, so I figured a program could take the HEX and turn it back into C++ or whatever? ;)

Viking said:
Well you can HEX edit anything, so I figured a program could take the HEX and turn it back into C++ or whatever? ;)
It's extremely complex, even for very simple programs. Especially after an optimization pass. For any non-trivial program, this is just impossible.

Any the answer of thejoeandchip should be convincing enough. The whole IT world would be completely different if it was possible.

Both of them done to death. Removing OS means about 1% improvement in most cases, The GBA emulator you mention has a decompiler/recompiler in it anyway, the other wouldn't benefit from such a function.

thejoeandchip said:
Viking said:
You can't decompile code

Yes you can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompiler
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disassembler

If you know which compiler/assembler was used then it is feasible to decompile/disassemble the binary. But it would then need significant modifications to get it to compile and run as a native GP2X game.

if two platforms are turing-complete, then on a basic level they can be expected to do the same things. but that doesn't mean it's feasible to translate one machine's instructions to another's.

as far as a static decompile: that works better on things like java bytecode, which is essentially interpreted and designed to be cross-platform...and that's not without a lot of difficulty. but regular, compiled machine code... :ph34r:

here's a fun game: i have two numbers. i won't tell you either of them, but their sum is 11. so, which are they? :D
and if that's too easy: here's some self-modifying code. now recompile it. keep in mind that you are purposely avoiding the use of the original hardware.

interestingly, the second one can be done...and all you have to do is write a program for the host that mimics the behavior of the target, so that software written for the target functions similarly on the host. you might say that the target gets "emulated"...it's a pity no one has done clever things like on the gp2x :p

oh yeah, in really small chunks, in certain situations, there is an advantage to doing some recompilation on the fly, and as squidge says, gpsp already does this.

Nope, rokdcasbah is illustrating that even with the right tools it's not always straightforward to disassemble back to source.

In the example you could have 1+10, 2+9, 3+8... and so on. All are valid combinations that satisfy the requirement but we don't know for definite that we have picked the correct components!

damn, i knew that would happen :(

no trick though.

we should have stuck with decimal computers. 5 times the numbers = awesoma power!!!

rokdcasbah said:
damn, i knew that would happen :(

no trick though.

we should have stuck with decimal computers. 5 times the numbers = awesoma power!!!
How the hell would you get transistors to occupy 10 different states lol!

sam fisher said:
If you are going to post in a developers forum, please do not use "txt tlk" because when "u" do "dat" we "dun" know "wut ur tlkin bout".

ooooh you bitch.

Thou doth protest yet seem able to read and speak it rather well. Personally I would grant artistic license carte blanche in a game developers wiki, blog, bbs whatever rather than stem anyone's creativity linguistically or otherwise, well that and it makes you look so 1337.

Back