I had an idea for a game for the pandora.

eilios

Still Fresh
Something made for the pandora, something that can use it's features well. What I was thinking is a top down shooter controlled with the nub, dpad, and shoulder button. I was thinking you could store grenades(up - down) and two guns(left - right) in the dpad(both sides so we have a lefty mode), press the dpad to choose your weapon(EG, press up when you have a smoke grenade to select smoke grenade), tap with touch screen to shoot/fire, and press shoulder button to activate the melee attack. It would be fun to see a pandora game made for the pandora, and something casual like this action top-down shooter would be something fun to play for 5 minutes in the waiting room. Plus, by keeping it 2d and top down, you make things simpler to do(no gravity and such). What do you think of it?

Sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing when you've finished it.

eilios said:
What do you think of it?
I think it sounds like SHIT. tap the screen to shoot? Why the helll would i wanna do that? NON-STOP TAPPING from 1st level to last boss? i dont wanna exercise my arms, i just want to hold down one fu**ing button man! this is a classical example of an idea that tries to take all avaialable technology into use but leaves behind logic/comfort and stuff behind just for the sake of it. im not against innovation, but this would be a fail. theres better ways to use a touchscreen. one idea i can think of (well not really its kinda stolen from nintendo) is e.g. draw a circle on the screen where you wanto shoot a "super-bomb". or draw a straight line to shoot a vertical beam that destrys everything in its path, like chronos slash attack :p .dont just take everything you got and build it in just for the sake of having it. top down 2d shooters existed for 30 years without touchscreen and they could dop well without in the future

Geez, such harsh critique you guys give. :lol:

If I'm not mistaken, this sounds a bit like a touch screen version of Cannon Fodder or similar game. Run in directions using the nub, fire in the direction of the tap.

The idea behind the game sounds fun, but I do agree with hansfranz on the point that "just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it."

The idea sounds good, but the control scheme would be very uncomfortable. Try and position your hands where you feel they should be while playing. Were it me, my left hand would be holding the Pandora, gripping the device with the base of my thumb and middle, ring, and pinky fingers, while my index finger and thumb tip did the button pressing. My right hand would either be hovering above the touch screen with the stylus, or trying to hold the device while I switch from the nub to the d-pad.

While switching from D-pad to nub, or the inverse, my grip on the device would be significantly reduced, and dropage may occur, resulting in one very broken Pandora, depending on the height of the drop and whether I was using a wrist strap or not.

Also consider that when both hands are not gripping any controller, the usability of the hand holding it becomes reduced. I just tried holding my PSP with one hand and it doesn't work well, mainly because the back is flat. Xbox or PS controllers are ok because they have ergonomic handles that allow for easier 1-handed gripping.

My suggestions: if you really want to use the touch screen, try not to make the player have to switch between the D-pad and the nub during critical moments of gameplay. Map the weapon selection to the touch screen in case players don't want to reach down with the stylus hand to select weapons on the buttons.

Would I play it? Yes, probably. I say do a prototype of it, play with it, see how it works. Sounds like it could be fun. :)

Back