I Hate To Ask, But...

CCmachined

I can't seem to find this information anywhere. Production Progress hasn't been updated since 2010.

To be blunt: How many total units have been shipped to customers (out of the 3900 ordered), and when do we think Batch 1 will have finished? (and the current production rate would be handy). From this thread I gather about 1100 non-premiums shipped (that have not been returned) and about 100 premium orders, that was the situation in March 2011. Or is this only from 1 order site?

I understand completely the problems that have been going on (and what these types of small projects must endure), I don't want to be rude.

I may have cancelled my original 2008 order, but I want an end-of-the-queue order from batch 2, for reasons of cost ($350 again? What is it in GB£) and I don't like jumping in front of another more faithful customer.

Thanks for any information, I know this is sensitive info.

Preorder? You missed the boat on those ages ago. Now they're selling Premiums at $500 to cover some costs. http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/4003-why-the-pandora-is-the-way-it-is/

The most recent update I can find is from a month ago where ED says that "more than half" have been delivered and the final 1000 are "just around the corner".

Since then, CircuitCo had the Wifi issue which almost stopped shipment of any new units, so they're probably in the same spot now.

That doesn't mean that the number of shipped units is between 2000 and 3000. Since nobody from OpenPandora has really said how many were cancelled, your guess for what exactly "more than half" means is as good as mine.

The reason "the final 1000" are important is because those are the first ones that'll be built with LCD cables that are not susceptible to the PTOD. So I'm pretty sure that the OP team will know exactly when they start building those.

Blue Protoman said:
Preorder? You missed the boat on those ages ago. Now they're selling Premiums at $500 to cover some costs. http://boards.openpa...-the-way-it-is/

Did I say I didn't know that? Yes I know the Pandora is currently $500 / £380. I don't have quite that much (ordering will return to normal after batch 1 is completed?) and I'd rather not jump in front of somebody who's been waiting ~2.5 years patiently.

2000-3000? Thanks. That ED post sure is interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I don't think they're ever returning to preorders. Selling them exactly at cost didn't work out too well.

Esn said:
The reason "the final 1000" are important is because those are the first ones that'll be built with LCD cables that are not susceptible to the PTOD. So I'm pretty sure that the OP team will know exactly when they start building those.
I think they started using the new cables immediately upon arrival.

What Blue Protoman is saying is that unfortunately the original price that pre-orders were available for is now no longer an option.

ALL Pandoras now cost $500 and would normally ship in 7 days, except CC has produced a batch with broken Wi-fi chips and this has halted production for awhile. In addition OPT have had stern words with CC, as they have caused alot of delays and not met their projected production schedules and this has resulted in OPT now seeking a new board company to make future batches. CC will apparently finish off batch 1 still though. The business relationship is over however and OPT have mentioned potential legal action against CC.

Obviously this means that if you cancelled your batch 1 order some time ago, in the hope of getting in on the end of batch 2, that you are out of luck now and will need to stump the full $500 premium price. Plus you'll need to wait until boards are flowing again from CC in order to definitely get your premium order shipped out in 7 days.

Mjlink said:
Esn said:
I think they started using the new cables immediately upon arrival.
Source? Because everything that I've seen says that they didn't, and that they would only start using them for the final 1000.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/2922-new-cables-more-boards-2011-04-15/page__st__80

Craig on this page is waiting for LCD cables... Which ones? I'm guessing the new ones, thought I saw it more black and white somewhere but am really not in the research mode at this point in the game. I bet checking the stalker around that same timeframe my find a better clarification.

I think that this thread from back in April should answer the question - it appears that the new cables went into use as soon as they arrived.

I must admit, I never saw any indication that they were, for whatever reason, going to hold onto them specifically for the final 1000 - quite the opposite, unless I missed something vital.

Prometheus said:
I think that this thread from back in April should answer the question - it appears that the new cables went into use as soon as they arrived.

I must admit, I never saw any indication that they were, for whatever reason, going to hold onto them specifically for the final 1000 - quite the opposite, unless I missed something vital.
Well, I remember that ED answered the exact opposite of that. It's hard to find now after so much time, but here's one post: "About 1000 of those will be used for the last units of Batch 1, the next ones are for the first 1000 units of Batch 2."

Also, there was the following post on the 2nd page of that thread, and nobody from the team contradicted it:
vadsamoht said:
polossatik said:
Ed,

Are the new cable being used now for every new pandora build or will the old be used until they are all "used up"?

The latter. However, ED has stated that the old purple haze is much less likely now that they have found a better way of installing the cables. Just think of these new ones as super-reinforced.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/3225-whats-the-address-can-i-send-my-pandora-for-fixing/page__st__20

Looks like in early May ED was using the new cables. I'm not disputing their use in April.

Sent mine in for repairs on 7th June. Had to ask on 27th June how it was going. Got a reply immediately saying they will be in touch.

Miss it immensely :(

*edit* sent to Craig for repair

Back