I Have A Idea

nightwheel

Website
www.nightwheel.wordpress.com
Feel free to tell me it won't work.

I was think back to the Closed Source thread. And some people posted a few Game Maker Based games. But being made with game maker. They couldn't be ported to the Pandora. Well I've been think for the past few days. Could a program be made for virtualizing Game Maker games on the Pandora. Most GM games don't have very high required specs for operation. And most GM games "could" run on the pandora if they weren't GM games. Now I know that most GM games are ment to work on x86 based systems. And I know there has been some work with x86 virtualization for ARM. But anyways, is a program like this possible for the Pandora (or arm in that matter)? A program like this would open the Pandora up to a wide amount of games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually in the process of creating a 3d engine with very strong Lua Scripting support and an event-driven modular framework. The architecture of my engine ensures true cross-platform capabilities between pandora, pc, mac and linux--even when it comes to multiplayer support; but most importantly, it's ultra easy to prototype and develop entire games with it. While it won't be ready for public use in time for the Pandora's release, you can expect a public beta within a year for sure. I'll definitely release more information on my engine when I get the chance to work with Pandora hardware.

My suggestion for the time being is to ditch proprietary languages like GameMaker or C#/XNA completely; they cannot be easily ported to emerging platforms.

the torque game engine currently gets ported to the iphone, with a lot of work being done on the sgx/openGL-part. I guess that's a far better bet then game maker for the moment.

dispraekailo: great project!

"Virtualization" is the wrong term. But yes, unless the Game Maker packaged executables contain some kind of game specific compiled code then it can be possible to make a Game Maker interpreter for another platform. Except it'd be an ungodly amount of work and I doubt anyone will ever do it.

As far as 2D Game Engines are concerned, I have found Novashell to be a great system.
CODE

http://www.rtsoft.com/novashell/

The author (Seth) has expressed a mild interest in the Pandora*, and Novashell is open source, so hopefully one day it'll be ported!

*CODE

http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2149&highlight=pandora

Yea, but I think the thing the OP is trying to get at is that there are a lot of Game Maker games that the authors might no longer be around for, or just don't feel like rewriting. Specific games that are already made, those are the ones he wants to see able to work on the Pandora. He's not asking for an environment for him to make games like Game Maker games, he's asking for the ability to play the Game Maker games he already has. (Kind of Like how I would like MUGEN for the Pandora, but it's compiled for x86 and we don't have the source for it) And as Exophase explained, it would be a lot of trouble.

-God Ginrai

'God Ginrai' said:
Yea, but I think the thing the OP is trying to get at is that there are a lot of Game Maker games that the authors might no longer be around for, or just don't feel like rewriting. Specific games that are already made, those are the ones he wants to see able to work on the Pandora. He's not asking for an environment for him to make games like Game Maker games, he's asking for the ability to play the Game Maker games he already has. (Kind of Like how I would like MUGEN for the Pandora, but it's compiled for x86 and we don't have the source for it) And as Exophase explained, it would be a lot of trouble.

-God Ginrai
Ah ok. I shouldn't hastily reply to posts early in the morning. Sorry for my unintentional attempt at hijacking the thread!

Back