Porting Rpg Maker Into Pandora

fdelapena said:
Still not dead, just refactoring the whole player code with rgss style, so no new visible features until this rework is being done. Our mate vgvgf, the most work done on the new rewrite is doing some RPGXP/VX stuff in a parallel project, called "ARGSS". You can learn more at http://argss.com.ar/ . Now he's currently enrolled into Google Summer of Code program doing some 3D acceleration work for SCUMMVM, including OpenGL ES, so we'll wait a bit more for the global overall progress.
This is very awesome news! Thank you sir, and good luck! If I weren't so busy with my own projects, I'd offer to help, because this is a very worthy program :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Multiplex said:
While OHRRPGCE is indeed open source, it is unfortunately written in FreeBASIC, and the FreeBASIC compiler can only compile to x86 platforms.
It's thus unlikely that there will be a port to the Pandora until either FreeBASIC gains a C backend or OHRRPGCE gets rewritten in another language, both of which for there are stalled or very slow-moving projects.
It's too bad, there's some great games for it.
I talked to the dev of the Python port and got his latest source. OHRRPGCE on Pandora is currently on my list of 'projects to look into'. The C emitter is already working for FreeBasic, although very beta. I'm not sure if I'm going to attempt to improve the freebasic C emitter or rewrite the engine in Python yet. But this project is more long-term than my GPS and painting apps so don't expect anything immediate on it. Just thought i'd let y'all know that it's being looked into :)

rabidpoobear said:
I talked to the dev of the Python port and got his latest source. OHRRPGCE on Pandora is currently on my list of 'projects to look into'. The C emitter is already working for FreeBasic, although very beta. I'm not sure if I'm going to attempt to improve the freebasic C emitter or rewrite the engine in Python yet. But this project is more long-term than my GPS and painting apps so don't expect anything immediate on it. Just thought i'd let y'all know that it's being looked into :)
I've actually been doing some quick and dirty work on the Freebasic compiler myself, and have gotten some promising initial results, but I'll be too busy to do any more work on it for a while. I didn't find the compiler source too pleasant to work with, to be honest, and I don't have much hope that the current C emitter design will scale well to complex code. That's just my opinion, though, don't let that discourage you.

A rewrite would probably be best, though the original code is a mess, so it'd really have to be a full rewrite.

Back