i have an idea!

PaaP

Still Fresh
hello everyone.

i had an idea for a few weeks:

the andora is very expensive for what you get. if the coust would be 100-150 i would defenetly buy one. And i thought about how could you reduce the cost. i figured that pandora members could make a kickstarter project, and than make many consoles- many you buy, the lover the cost of production, isin't it like that? and they could get a lots of attention ...

That's way below cost. They aren't exactly making a major profit on the sales. There is nothing kickstarter can do lower the cost.

1. Kickstarter isn't for already established products
  2. Pandoras are expensive to build $350, I believe (I'll probably get corrected in a moment) - this is justified by being a complex device made by properly paid people in Europe
  3. The profit margins are being kept high to fund old preorders (i.e. not actually profit)
  4. There is a fund-a-preorder fund you can donate to - the faster preorders ship, the fast the price can be lowered.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello everyone.

i had an idea for a few weeks:

the andora is very expensive for what you get. if the coust would be 100-150 i would defenetly buy one. And i thought about how could you reduce the cost. i figured that pandora members could make a kickstarter project, and than make many consoles- many you buy, the lover the cost of production, isin't it like that? and they could get a lots of attention ...
Sorry but if you want a Ferrari you have to pay Ferrari prices.

If you can't raise the cash for a Pandora sorry but it was never meant to be, life is hard that way.

I'd love an Aston Martin but funds don't allow it, I don't diss Astons though for being out of my price bracket.

Can this tread be closed / locked as there are too many of these I can't afford it, it should be cheaper threads.

I've got an even betterer idea!

Why doesn't ED just give the Pandora away for free? He'd shift millions.

:rolleyes: ;)

oots0135.gif

I MEANT 100-150 EUROS. for the cost which egsists now i could buy  good laptop and a gamepad for the same use....

If you can buy a GOOD laptop and a gamepad for 150Euros then sign me up for a dozen. And colour me surprised if a laptop at that price doesn't function as well as a Pandora, has a battery that lasts as long as a Pandora, or fits in my pocket like a Pandora.

I MEANT 100-150 EUROS. for the cost which egsists now i could buy  good laptop and a gamepad for the same use....
Can you give a link to a device similar to the Pandora that is available for 100 - 150 Euros?

If you do not value having a built in game pad in a pocketable mini laptop format then you are indeed correct.

The kickstarter idea is an interesting one that has been discussed before, but would be unlikely to generate enough backers to allow a significant price decrease.

@ Binky : Kickstarter is not just for new products, it's for funding creative projects, from what I can see there would be nothing stopping Craig from funding the next batch of iCP2's via kickstarter etc.

I seem to have stated a similar idea . The cost of the Pandora is also ( to my understanding at least ) seems to be due to the fact the people who make the Pandora seem to be payed a reasonoble amount .

I seem to have stated a similar idea . The cost of the Pandora is also ( to my understanding at least ) seems to be due to the fact the people who make the Pandora seem to be payed a reasonoble amount .
I hope you are talking about the people who are manufacturing and assembling the Pandora, I'm pretty sure ED won't be making any money for some time.

the andora is very expensive for what you get. 
It's Pandora not andora (country?).

It's expensive for what you get... compared to what? "Expensive" is not absolute. 

There's no competitors to the Pandora out there. It's not a smartphone, it's not a laptop, it's a mini-Linux computer. So, per se, you cannot do the exact same things with the other alternatives out there. 

Plus, nobody is asking you to get one. If you want something better for "what you get", feel free to do so and get a crappy device elsewhere that will not be supported anymore in 6 months. 

Now, everyone wants to have the Pandora cheaper, but anyway the Pandora is worth more than the sum of its parts. 

Can you give a link to a device similar to the Pandora that is available for 100 - 150 Euros?

If you do not value having a built in game pad in a pocketable mini laptop format then you are indeed correct.

The kickstarter idea is an interesting one that has been discussed before, but would be unlikely to generate enough backers to allow a significant price decrease.

@ Binky : Kickstarter is not just for new products, it's for funding creative projects, from what I can see there would be nothing stopping Craig from funding the next batch of iCP2's via kickstarter etc.

i know i make terible  spelling mistakes, because english isn't my native language. 

i meant for the cost which egzists now - (500 euros new) i could buy a sick laptop or a mini umpc like this: 

umpc_UMID_mini1.jpg

and a joystick. And write some puppy linux arcade on it.

if the cost would be lowered at least a normal bit i would really buy it. 

Sure you could, its still huge compared to the Pandora and most likely has only 2 to 4 hours of battery life compared to the Pandora's 10+ hours of actual use.

Also you would have to lug around controllers and such. And regular x86 vs ARM or MIPS is fairly boring, what's the fun in that.

Sure the Pandora is expensive, but it still does things better than any device on the market. Once the pre-orders get queue gets cleared out, the price will most likely drop.

If you can find something which is a better value and suits your needs then by all means purchase it.

Right now Pandora is what it is and they're stuck selling what they have. No point trying to talk about redesigning the same (now pretty old) hardware for a lower price. Better to let them focus on designing new hardware, when the time is right.

But prices will never get as low as a lot of products because you're paying for:

1) A device which is manufactured and assembled in Europe, something you're going to get because it's made by Europeans who don't want the headache and risks of dealing with Chinese manufacturers

2) Costs to make the particular unique form factor (gaming controls + hopefully these will go down but still always be there

3) Low volume that is inherent to the nature of the device and not a lack of demand; to make a huge difference in production they'd need to generate not hundreds of thousands but tends of thousands of dollars on KS which isn't realistic

4) Extras like multiple SD slots, USB host, good audio hardware, and some hacker friendly features, things that more mainstream devices don't have

Still, as a device announced at $330 hopefully the next one will be closer to that price than the > $700 peak it hit and the price Craig declared Pandora 2 must be. But < 150 EU is out of the question.

Back