I have DRM working in Chromium :)

Personally, I doubt I'll be using this, but I think it could be a very valuable option for some users. If you don't like DRM, you are completely free to shun those streaming services that use it - no extra effort required!

I guess I'm lucky living where I am. I can download anything strreamed by the BBC on t'iplayer, and provided I know beforehand I can also capture the broadcasts of ITV and channel 4 networks. Generally gives me enough to watch, DRM free.

Reactions: rSl
I thought everyone already had me on ignore. I'm disappointed in you all.
Unfortunately it stops working if someone replies to or quotes from you.
Post automatically merged:

Personally, I doubt I'll be using this, but I think it could be a very valuable option for some users
More options is almost always better. We do want to encourage more people to use and buy Pyrae, so being supportive (or at least respectful) of alternative use-cases is a win-win.

I like playing my records (mostly vinyl or cd, and some cassettes) on the go, and the pyra and spotify is good option for that. At least spotify tries to pay the musicians that make the content, so I regularly even "play" songs I play on vinyl on a muted spotify. Some of the artists I know personally and they do appreciate people listening to their music via these services even if they pay scandelous amounts per play. So yeah I gladly pay artists multiple times for the same thing that I bought (I buy vinyl records and cds also as direct as possible from the artist) And I dont mind the DRM, shoot me.

At least spotify tries to pay the musicians that make the content

they do appreciate people listening to their music via these services even if they pay scandelous amounts per play.

That's why I said that they pay a scandalous amount, but also for artist getting payed by spotify isnt the only thing it is also an easy distributor of your music (and can get you noticed via playlists and so on). On the other hand I have the feeling you do not pay the artists you listen to per play or even for their album but I might be wrong. btw I know a musician can not live from spotify only, that's why I also buy their albums, go to their concerts and support them in any way possible.

I am all for free (as in freedom of speech) but I am very much against free (as in free beer) the tendency for everything distributed on the internet being free of charge has done us very much harm. I think journalism is the biggest example of that, since we do not pay for our news anymore, less and less journalism is being properly conducted, most journalism is copy/paste and hardly investigative anymore, and worse of all dictated by click,views and likes because it's financed via advertisement only.

... I think journalism is the biggest example of that, since we do not pay for our news anymore, less and less journalism is being properly conducted, most journalism is copy/paste and hardly investigative anymore, and worse of all dictated by click,views and likes because it's financed via advertisement only.
Indeed. In the world shaped after social media where content providers are fighting for likes, thumbs up and TRP we get what we like, not what we need.

Listen, I try to respect everyone's opinions and oddities and I don't diss anyone ever, I would appreciate it if I'm treated the same so please keep opinions about what I do with my Pyra and my subscriptions to yourself.
I thought some would benefit from my findings in my quest to get spotify playing but apparently it is not appreciated

I have been with this community for 13 years and it had always been friendly but this trolling is ... so sad...

Bah!
There are people appreciating you and the other owners sharing their work and findings.
I think, everything made working for the Pyra should be shared with the community so that we all can choose how we want to use it in the future.
Keep it up!

Well, opensource means also you dont need to be stuck on free sources only, you also have the freedom to use DRM if you think its ok for yourself..

And the Pyra might be a good device for Media Streaming because its got an HDMI Port unless some other Smartphones etc..

I am all for free (as in freedom of speech) but I am very much against free (as in free beer) the tendency for everything distributed on the internet being free of charge has done us very much harm. I think journalism is the biggest example of that, since we do not pay for our news anymore, less and less journalism is being properly conducted, most journalism is copy/paste and hardly investigative anymore, and worse of all dictated by click,views and likes because it's financed via advertisement only.
I would be interested to see statistics supporting the idea that the move away from buying literal news papers has led to a decline in reporting quality. Some counterpoints:
  1. Tabloid/gutter journalism has been around for easily a century
  2. Attention-grabbing headlines sung by the newpaper seller on the street corner have a lot in common with click-bait
  3. Adverts have funded newspapers (sometimes entirely) for a long time.
  4. Newspapers have been politically motivated for a long time too (they were very influential in the Spanish-American war)
  5. The Conversation (perhaps among others) seems to take journalism seriously, despite being online-only and funded by donations.
That's not to say there isn't a problem with false and misleading journalism - but I think it's over-simplistic to claim the internet ruined everything.

I would be interested to see statistics supporting the idea that the move away from buying literal news papers has led to a decline in reporting quality. Some counterpoints:
  2. Attention-grabbing headlines sung by the newpaper seller on the street corner have a lot in common with click-bait
  4. Newspapers have been politically motivated for a long time too (they were very influential in the Spanish-American war)
  5. The Conversation (perhaps among others) seems to take journalism seriously, despite being online-only and funded by donations.
That's not to say there isn't a problem with false and misleading journalism - but I think it's over-simplistic to claim the internet ruined everything.
That may be true if we only consider news from printed newspapers or e-papers published by new agencies. Problem with internet is large number of people ( I don't have statistics to prove ) don't get news from news sites, but from social media (youtube, twitter, facebook etc.).

Not internet but social media (esp. those creating "dumb smartphone users eager to get some likes") ruined everything.

In all the 5 examples at least the journalists were payed, a lot of content nowaday comes from not well payed editors that just copy/paste from a general source, therefor you see the same news everywhere.
I dont think that all journalism was very good, and surely not completely unbiased however journalism was payed more than nowadays, also because less and less people buy news. It is not the only problem but it is one of the reasons for less unbiased good investigative journalism.

Well, opensource means also you dont need to be stuck on free sources only, you also have the freedom to use DRM if you think its ok for yourself..

And the Pyra might be a good device for Media Streaming because its got an HDMI Port unless some other Smartphones etc..
The Pandora isn't fast enough for a lot of video content anymore, but it feels like a swiss army knife of pocket computers.
So having the option to use DRM is, in my opinion, better than just be limited to having to switch to other platforms for DRM content.

I actually don't know why they use DRM, sure you can probably copy it easier but people can do that anyway if they want to. Probably to show they are fighting piracy.
Yeah I'm pretty sure both Netflix and Spotify would lose a good portion of their content if they didn't use DRM, as the movie studios and record companies would likely refuse to license it to them.

btw I really dislike DRM on physical or multiuse media like dvds cds or ebooks not because I dont want the distributer to protect stuff but mostly because drm tends to break or get old and thus making it impossible to use the content you bought, but i dont see the problem for streaming services that are a one off by definition

I still have loads of old DVDs and CDs that I can still play any time I like.

Ebooks are different, but there are good tools to convert between formats (I've used Calibre to convert many of my Kindle ebooks to mobi)

I would suggest: https://bandcamp.com/

1624539457139.png

Back