i just bought earth bound! slap me in the face for being stupid...

No way, you payed what market value of what that game is worth, so you can't really complain. I just watched a few of these sell for the same price as what you paid.
As long as you didn't over pay for a collectible, you can always resell it and get your money back. Or, hold on to it for another few years and get even more.
Don't forget we're talking Nintendo here, every item the sell ends up increasing in value given time.

yes, thanks. makes me feel a little better already :D

that's what I figured when I made the purchase. I had been looking for the game for such a long time now and it was the only missing rpg gem from my snes collection besides EVO.

Now I've got all the good stuff that never came out in the EU. I have chronotrigger, super mario rpg, ff2, ff3, robotrek and some other cool games. chronotrigger has already seen 2 playthroughs, but I really played it to death on emulators when I was like 16 or so. I could've never afforded to get the real game back then, and actually it was quite a steal when I did finally buy it.

ah my mistake i was thinking mother 1, not the 2nd one. If you can without breaking it might want to look at the pcb and see it its genuine.
will do! I am pretty nervous about it being a repro. I have seen a couple of sales on ebay that were obviously fake but the sellers always said so in the description somewhere. Still they were asking way over 150$ which I don't find justified for a reproduction.

how does one open an NTSC US cart without damaging/folding the label? Anyone done this before? EU carts are easy, the label is only attached to one half of the case.
I am thinking it could work with a hot air gun or hair dryer?

Man.. i don't know if i would pay this much for a single cartridge. Beyond the historic value of it, i never really understood why collectors throw these amounts of cash on single old games (and sometimes their mere cases).
If it really came down to expensive or rare games for me, i would probably sooner spend half that amount on the hardware needed for a reproduction. I would still need to extract the ROM from whatever it's being sold in nowadays and of course also find a worthy sacrifice, but hey, cheap abundant sports games can allways serve that purpose.

That.. or i would just buy an Everdrive from the DragonBox shop and call it a day.

Last edited:
I generally couldn't justify spending much on an old game. There can be exceptions but as a limit, I never buy anything for a higher price than what it was sold at new at the time it was released.
This may be rare, this is still a used old game for me.

Last edited:
can't believe that there are no collectors in the scene anymore. it was different on gp32x. back then a lot of people collected expensive hardware and games (arcade pcbs or limited edition japanese gameboys etc).

i guess it's because the openpandora scene is about more than just video games, seeing as we are mostly linux enthusiasts.

I was just talking to former member dcgm yesterday. he has sold lots of his old collection and he had quite a few rare and very expensive pieces.

Well I have a fairly small (to some) collection of games from Atari 2600 to modern day consoles. Many of my NES and SNES games seem to be worth a bit now, more than I expected on some titles. I used to buy classic games quite a bit in my 20's, but now a days it seems I have shifted to other hobbies.

yeah that is a common occurance. dcgm sold most of his stuff because he had to make space and because he lost interest in gaming. so I guess this point might come in my life too. I am 30 now... who knows what my children will be playing, but I hope I can educate them.

for me, 200eur for a snes games is a lot of cash. then again, I stopped buying modern console games years back because they do not interest me anymore. I'd rather spend the money on something I loved as a kid then for three xbox360/xbone/ps4 titles that will cost me about the same.

if you take a look on the nintendoage forums, there is a lot of people paying absolutely ridiculous amounts of money just to complete their set of nes games. there are so many terrible but rare games... I am not interested in that but I can respect that.

Other people will pay 1700$ for a barely functional pyra prototype (well... there is the aspect of supporting the community by that...).

can't believe that there are no collectors in the scene anymore. it was different on gp32x. back then a lot of people collected expensive hardware and games (arcade pcbs or limited edition japanese gameboys etc).

i guess it's because the openpandora scene is about more than just video games, seeing as we are mostly linux enthusiasts.

I was just talking to former member dcgm yesterday. he has sold lots of his old collection and he had quite a few rare and very expensive pieces.
I don't have the money or the space right now, plus I have moved and lost enough things over the years that I avoid getting stuff I will bad if it is lost or destroyed. Additionally, I really prefer to keep my possessions limited so that I can easily transport everything if needed. This has been impossible since my collections of old computers, consoles, books and antiques have grown large. Hell, even my favorite keyboard is a headache to travel with. I also like to tinker with my stuff, so I am not willing to invest a lot of money in something that I am going to poke around with and possibly lose all my money.

Having said that, there are some arcade games I want the full setup for (I would love a sitdown T-MEK, and possibly a few if I could find others to play against). I would also buy other expensive hardware if I had a way to take care of and use it. Although not really related to this topic, there are tons of expensive/rare books I want, and if I had the means I would get those (and probably try to scan and share them).

I completely forgot about music related stuff. My guess is I could easily spend a small fortune on that gear.

can't believe that there are no collectors
I like to collect old games too from time to time, i just don't see myself throwing these kind of amounts on single games.
I mean, there's probably much more worthwhile things you can spend 200 bucks on at once.

can't believe that there are no collectors in the scene anymore.

No "real"collector, more someone with a tendency to hoarding (thanks grandpa!) I do buy retro games now and then, but mostly either to replace broken or lost games or to get those I played as a kid but newer owned. Besides financial reasons I rarely buy retro games because of the business some people made out of it. I have lost too many "auctions" only to find exactly the same items some days or weeks later again, only with a ridiculously high "Buy it now" price. Sometimes I am also quite baffled what prices people are ready to pay for a title: I am currently looking to get a "new" copy of "Turtles in Time" as my original module is broken, but prices are crazy, and I don't know why, its not a rare title at all.
I guess what also disqualifies me as a collector that I never felt the need to have a "complete" item or some form of special editions - I am usually interested in the game itself (as I want to play it) except some older games, where you need additional material (like the manual) in order to get the whole story or clues for the games that could not be incorporated in the game itself.

Ninja Turtles stuff is really popular again right now, so that may be part of the reason for that one being so expensive. It also seems that more popular games are expensive regardless of the number of copies available. I blame ebay, bid wars, and people with more money than sense (or time), since after copies sell for a certain price other sellers won't accept less than that, and some will try to top the previous prices.

I have a pretty nice collection, I just don't look for completeness and don't like to be ripped off.
I bought a lot of stuff during the late 90s and early 2000s. I almost didn't buy anything since 2010 as prices are stupid now.

It would be a good time to buy some PS2/Xbox/PSP stuff I think now. Gamecube games seem to be already rising in price :(

Went to Japan in 2004, it was great. Saturn games for 100yen in a lot of shops. Also bought a heavily discounted Wonderswan and a used Game Boy Light in poor condition for a pretty cheap price at that time.

I don't understand collecting. Games....I get them to play not hold or touch what is essentially packaging. I mean if I wanted to play Earthbound I'd buy it on the WiiU (I wouldn't really, I think you know what I'd really do....play it on PC "somehow") . People collect all sorts of weird things, usually coins and stamps.....but they don't do anything with them so I suppose at least there's some 'value' in collecting old games. I think there's a instinct to collect things that some people lack such as me and I think 'hoarding' is when that instinct goes haywire.

I don't understand collecting. Games....I get them to play...
I understand what you mean.
For me is collecting..the Whish that i have sometime in the Future more Time for playing them.
I have the Fear that i am too old in the Future for having realy Fun with my Collection.
Its like this Example:
You want to go often in Holiday when you are Young but have no Time and say to yourself: "next Year"...
..next Year..next Year..and and and...
...and then you are too old to make a big holiday.

Second Thing for my Collection is the remembering to better Times when i was Young.
When i play AlexKidd on Master System or Secret of Mana on the Snes or some Amiga Games...then i fall back to that Time where the Life was much better :)
It renembers me on my Childhood here.

But Collecting for more Expensive selling??
Thats not mine..because too much Feelings on that Games. :D

My backlog (DRM free and mostly digital) has grown quite a bit in the last years and some might already see it as collecting, but I'm in the same boat as ingoreis and just hope to have more time for it sometime in the future. Seeing how the € has lost its worth and how some of those aren't even available without some client anymore (or at all), I'm glad that I gathered this huge pile.

Collecting old inefficient data storage medium isn't really collecting games for me but rather an esoteric collection, like stamps or parts of historical relics of any kind.
Of course the time and money could be used otherwise, but somehow I'm glad that those people exist, because museums depend on them and a lot of history would have been lost without them.

Last edited:
Back