I Just Did The Gp32 Vcore Pencil Mod

kialzzz

Still Fresh
After reading the long thread on here about the pencil Vcore mod I decided to try it.

I've two GP32s so it wouldn't have been a big loss if it all went wrong. I checked the current Vcore before I started and it was 1.78v and then I did lots of experiments and eventually decided on overvolting to 2.01v which allows my 144MHz max overclock GP32 run stable at 166MHz. B)

I even went as high as 2.5v for an hour or so and it provided a stable overclock to 188MHz but a Vcore that high is just too insane to use for long term use.

My other GP32 does 156MHz stable so maybe I should try the Vcore mod on it too and see if it can overclock further than 166MHz with ~2v? :)

All those people running at 200MHz plus in the original pencil mod thread without using a multimeter to check the voltage probably meant they were running well in excess of 2v and probably more likely to be even higher than the 2.5v I tried. :blink: :unsure:

I decided to pencil Vcore mod my other GP32 and it now does 166MHz stable (from 156MHz) with 1.93v (from 1.77v). It's very difficult to find a safe voltage with the pencil mod and one time I put way too much on and it was at 3.1v and it wouldn't boot. Fortunately it didn't fry anything. :blink:

Both my GP32s need at least 2.1v to run stable above 166MHz but I don't think it's worth doing that as 166MHz is good enough for just about everything.

video playback is alot better the higher you overclock it.

I haven't yet got around to using the video playback feature. Does it have to be much higher than 166MHz to get optimal playback?

It works fine at 133-144mhz, as long as you encode it properly.

- Alex

also try higher power battaries and over clocking higher.

As for the video, if you overclock hiogher you can use the full 23-29FPS, if your only clocking the system at 133 you will have to use a lower bitrate and half the framerate,

Back