I May Buy One Today

Haze

Still Fresh
Hello

I might be ordering a GP2X from GP2X.co.uk today but before I do I need some help.

1. Does the GP2X come with a USB cable and is it fix to the task (I have read unfaltering things online)

2. How easy would it be for a total beginner like myself to get Emulators/ROM/games and so on, on to the device?

3.What firmware will it likely be running when I get it?

Thanks.

X-Code posted on Jul 4 2006 at 01:02 PM said:
Comes with USB cable , it's quite easy to get emus running and it'll probably be a MK2 with firmware 2.0.0 :)

Thanks :) What worries me is that I have no card reader so I would be dependant on USB 2 for transferring thing to it. Have the USB problems been ironed out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Using the built in USB networking and Samba in 2.0.0 seems fairly reliable to me.. Never had a problem with it and used it for a while before I could 'acquire' a card reader from somewhere...

cheers

iggywig posted on Jul 4 2006 at 09:11 AM said:
Using the built in USB networking and Samba in 2.0.0 seems fairly reliable to me.. Never had a problem with it and used it for a while before I could 'acquire' a card reader from somewhere...

cheers
From how he wrote his first post, I take it that he's rather illiterate with computer matters so maybe it'd be better for him to avoid the complicated Samba networking scheme.

It is easier to get a card reader, but you can also use the USB connection as long as your SD card is not larger than 1GB. That's the only problem with USB that I'm aware of.

Paulo Becker posted on Jul 4 2006 at 01:28 PM said:
iggywig posted on Jul 4 2006 at 09:11 AM said:

cheers
From how he wrote his first post, I take it that he's rather illiterate with computer matters so maybe it'd be better for him to avoid the complicated Samba networking scheme.

It is easier to get a card reader, but you can also use the USB connection as long as your SD card is not larger than 1GB. That's the only problem with USB that I'm aware of.

I would be buying the 1G.

Here's another question. Are the rechargeable battery's/charger on gp2x.co.uk actually any good?

Haze posted on Jul 4 2006 at 01:38 PM said:
Here's another question. Are the rechargeable battery's/charger on gp2x.co.uk actually any good?

Actually I wasn't aware that craigx had added them, but Yes those are very good rechargeables! Anytrhing over 2500mah is good.

DSR

I've only had mine since this past Wednesday,

Concerning the link, I used it only a couple of days. It used the batteries up real fast. Get a card reader. I never had any other problem with the link other than this.

Use the search in the "I need help" area of the GP2X area and you will be up and running in no time. I had the Neo Geo and the DrMD emu going within the first couple of hours.

2500 mAh & over batteries are your friend. I have eight that I rotate through the charger.

The filmware will be the latest, 2.0.

My 1 gig SD card has quickly become too small. I filled it up fast. I guess it was all the excitement. :D

Dang, you guys are all trigger happy with the downloads. Only picking stuff that I thought looked interesting, I haven't even filled up a 256mb SD card yet (although I also have a 512 mb one specifically for PDA type apps and PSX4GP2X).

I did a funny little thing today, regarding SD cards and the GP2X as an mp3 player. I compared the price of 2 GB SD cards on Amazon.co.uk with the price of the iPod Nano 4GB. You can get close to 11 Gigs of SD memory for the price of a 4GB iPod Nano. That's quite nice.

I would recommend the original poster to download and read Guyfawkes' Userguide. It really helped me understand the basics of the system before I actually got it.

As far as EMU's go, I'm a beginner too, and as long as you take the time to read the readme files, you shouldn't have any problems.

Back