Where To Buy? 225mhz Vs 275mhz

dmoo

Still Fresh
Hi,

I am about to order mine today and was reading through previous threads about the 275Mhz model on gp2x.co.uk and was wondering if i am only wanting to shell out 125£ should i buy from somewhere like iwantoneofthose.com where i have a chance of getting a highly overclockable one for 125£ rather than a guarenteed under 275mhz from gp2x also at 125£

Or is this not the way it works? do gp2x.co.uk filter their stock while other less specialized stores may not?

Thanks for your time,

dmoo

Nemesis/112 posted on Oct 27 2006 at 01:01 PM said:
I don't think that's how it works, if you pay the extra then you get one that has been tested at 175mhz, if you don't then you get pot-luck.

imho its like going into a car showroom and choosing a car and being told that for x more you can have a turbo fitted. You may well not use it day to day, but there might be occasions when you need the extra speed. I havent bought a gp2x yet but when I do it will be a 275mhz one from gp2x.co.uk.

Last edited by a moderator:
just from personal experince I picked mine up from lik-sang (god rest their soul and fuck $ony) and it can get to 280Mhz. But, I think it would be worth it to shell out the what £5 for it? Cause you are going to want one that gets up there in OC for things like SNES and PSX Emulation. For example, I can tweak the PSX Emulator to run Galerians (a RE style game) at about 25 to 30 FPS with sound on 40 with off when I run at 280Mhz. But when I tried it at 260Mhz is was noticeable slower.

If you don't pay extra from gp2x.co.uk, then your chances of getting a good overclocker are markedly worse compared to other places, seeing as the good overclockers are filtered out for sale at a higher price. Buying from another seller you would have a fair chance of getting a good overclocker.

I got mine from Lik-sang. ~295 MHz stable.

Back when I got a GP32 is was from Craig and I bought one of the guaranteed 166mHz models.

If I was buying a GP2X today, I would do the same, and go with Craig's offer to get a guaranteed speedier model. Especially since I've heard that mk2s are less likely to overclock as high.

(and since everyone is listing theirs) I bought mine back in March from Play-Asia, got 266mHz stable, and runs at 275 for 30 mins before locking up.

I got my mk2 from gp2x.co.uk before they started filtering the stock
Mine only overclocks to 266 [stable]

I'd saying paying a bit of extra money for a garanteed 275mhz+ is better than going for a mixed bag. But this is coming from someone who was was not particularly lucky when buying from a "mixed bag." (but I was not unlucky, either.)
Having a GP2X that overclocks nicely is very beneficial.... I say get one that is garanteed for 275+

All GP2Xs are based on the MagicEyes MP2520F SoC which has 2 ARM9 cores rated to *200* MHz. Nothing sold by GPH, Craig/gp2x.co.uk/GBAX or ED or anyone else is upgraded or faster in any way. They are just tested to overclock to that rate. So having a car 'turbo fitted' is not really an accurate analogy-- because nothing is being done to upgrade the units at all.

Epicenter, desktop chips are also given this treatment these days, sometimes they are manufactured identically but some are tested to clock to higher rates than others, and they are binned as whatever speed they are tested stable at.

Mudi posted on Oct 28 2006 at 12:22 AM said:
Epicenter, desktop chips are also given this treatment these days, sometimes they are manufactured identically but some are tested to clock to higher rates than others, and they are binned as whatever speed they are tested stable at.
It's been that way for decades-- but the testing is extreme and done by the official manufacturers, e.g. AMD or Intel will produce a processor and stress-test it in an extreme-temperature environment like >80C at a clockrate to see if it's stable-- a test that far exceeds rational real-world conditions and even max operational spec. If AMD or Intel is willing to assure you the chip has endured this testing and can run at that speed 24-7-365, they make the assertion by locking the chip to that speed in hardware via the internal multiplier-- and that assertion can be trusted.

The way the GP2X units are being labelled is far removed from such a reliable and trustworthy process. The device is sold by Craig/GBAX, built by GPH, based around the MP2520F SoC from MagicEyes that contains the ARM-made processor core. The clockrate assertion of 200 MHz was made by ARM, confirmed by MagicEyes-- GPH and resellers of the machine they BUILT around this part do not bear validity because their involvement in development and testing of the MP2520F was nil-- and the systems are not modified to assume this higher speed automatically, it's only a setting the user can apply on his own.

But the greater problem I have with this labelling is that it creates the false impression among what appears to be a majority of users that the machines being sold are somehow new-and-improved and have some new functionality that makes them '275 MHz GP2Xs' when in fact they are the exact same units. All it does is spread false information and make people pay extra for their machines, and the ones that AREN'T paid extra for will no doubt be the rejects from testing that won't overclock appreciably, and that no one will want due to how important overclocking is to half the software on the GP2X, if not more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back