I Should Know, But I Don't!

c17

Still Fresh
Ok, i know the GP2x runs on a Linux OS, but i am unsure if you can access the core OS so that you can run Linux based apps.

To clarify, for example, i have resided myself to the fact that a C64 emu will take a while to port, if ever, but CCS64 {the leading x86 based C64 emu} has a Linux based version, so, will you be able to run this app from the GP2x core OS?

I Know this will not be an easy one to answer untill we all get our units, but some may have worked this out by now. :)

Thanxs in advance.

First: Processor makes a big difference. If you're now on an x86, it simply won't run.

Big surprise to me first time a LiveCD did nothing on a Mac. I figured it out eventually.

Shouldn't be hard to have the thing recompiled/ported - if it releies on the right libraries, it's mostly a trick of limiting max resolution and, after the initial port, optimizing things.

Of course, I'm still out of my depth here. So, if a game is Linux based and uses nothing special (or SDL) it should be quickly and easily ported, even though you can't run it straight away.

Well i hope there is a proper port for the GP2x, but maybe i could get away with running the linux ver of ccs64 for the time being. here's hoping. :D

Well i hope there is a proper port for the GP2x, but maybe i could get away with running the linux ver of ccs64 for the time being. here's hoping. :D
Hmm, you seem to have missed Prothall's main point... a PC Linux program will NOT run on a GP2X!

If the source code for the program is available, then it is possible that it will be simple to get the program to run on GP2X by recompiling it, especially if it uses SDL. Keep in mind though, that there are some fundamental issues to sort out, like how to use the C64's keyboard on the GP2X (which, you may have noticed, doesn't have a keyboard :)).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back