I Think The Gp2x Just Bricked My Sd, Any Suggestions?

housemonkey

Still Fresh
I was putting a link to a game in GMenu2X, and as it was writting it the batteries cut out without warning and now the SD card no longer works in the system, or is recognised by any of the computers I have tried it on. I have looked passingly at some file recovery programs, but as I have most of the data backed up I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to fix the card itself. Its an 8GB Kingston Class 6 if that means anything.

:(

In linux, without mounting it, you run something like
fsck.vfat -y /dev/sdd1
or maybe it's fsck.msdos depending on how you newfs'ed it or came out of the box.
tail /var/log/messages after you plug it in to get the correct device name.
windows it's chkdsk and fdiskmaybe.

sorry to sound like a noob, but being only qusi computer literate at best, you mean in command line right? And thanks, I am running windows.

Well, I spent the last few days giving myself a raging headache trying to track down a way to fix this myself, but blahgrh…

Seems like a loss.

Oh well, the price of these 8GB cards has dropped so much from the time I bought it that it stings a lot less now that I see I can get a replacement in th $30-40 range.

But (unless of course someone has a fix I missed) what do you think the odds of this happening again during a save really are? I mean, I have been think about this and its quite a bitch. I save constantly when playing many emulators because the battery will conk out without any warning, and I just figured the worst that could happen was a card would need a quick reformat. But if I really run a hogh chance of bricking just doing a simple save I may have to rethink even replacing the card and just burn through some cheap low capacity ones I have lying around instead. :unsure:

Suck that GPH still hasnt been able to solve this simple seeming issue from the time of the things launch because a simple red light that works would have made this whole issue non existant in the first place. :(

Oh well, *waits for Pandora*

:p

housemonkey said:
Well, I spent the last few days giving myself a raging headache trying to track down a way to fix this myself, but blahgrh…

Seems like a loss.

Oh well, the price of these 8GB cards has dropped so much from the time I bought it that it stings a lot less now that I see I can get a replacement in th $30-40 range.

But (unless of course someone has a fix I missed) what do you think the odds of this happening again during a save really are? I mean, I have been think about this and its quite a bitch. I save constantly when playing many emulators because the battery will conk out without any warning, and I just figured the worst that could happen was a card would need a quick reformat. But if I really run a hogh chance of bricking just doing a simple save I may have to rethink even replacing the card and just burn through some cheap low capacity ones I have lying around instead. :unsure:
Suck that GPH still hasnt been able to solve this simple seeming issue from the time of the things launch because a simple red light that works would have made this whole issue non existant in the first place. :(

Oh well, *waits for Pandora*

:p

If you can't fix with a chkdsk /f, fdisk /mbr or formatting it, it's toast and probably has nothing to do with the gp2x, just happens to be where it died.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually formatting it works. I have a card reader, so I just right-click the drive(appears same as floppy), and select Format. Then uncheck 'quick format', and let it run for 10 secs. You lose everything, and the SD is good as new. ;)

But if that doesn't work...hmm... :eek:

Have you tried the HP USB drive format utility ? I have had a few cases over the years (bad iPod file system, several USB and SD cards that would not reformat) where this tool has saved the day. Its quite safe too, as it will only format removable media, there is no way you can format your hard drive by mistake.

This same type of thing happened to me. I'm running a 16 gb Patriot SDHC card in my MKII with Notaz' SDHC firmware hack. Works like a trooper.

I was playing Final Burn Alpha on the TV with the TVout cable while waiting for a cab for a Doctors appointment.

The cab showed up, and I hurriedly pulled the jacks out of the TV and removed the Ext connector. I dropped it and it killed the power in midgame, then the unit rebooted. Not thinking about it at the time, I just turned off the power switch and stuffed the GP2X into my carry bag, and ran for the cab. At the doctors office I had to wait and pulled out my trusty GP2X to watch an episode of "Torchwood" (Dr WHO spinoff)while I waited. The GP2X saw no card in the unit and I was worried that I might have to reformat and reinstall all my stuff. To my horror, when I returned home none of my readers would see it, format it or anything else. :(

I was heartbroken as I couldn't afford another card. Luckily, I had purchased it from newegg. After reading through their policies I happily discovered that since I had bought it in December I wasn't able to return it for a refund (only within 30 days of purchase) but that they would replace/exchange any purchase within 1 calendar year from purchase. I was elated! :D I shipped it back to them the next day, and 5 days later had a brand new 16gb sdhc in my mailbox! ;)

The long story short, during my fervent researching of flash memory in the aftermath of the card dying and before I found out that I could get a replacement I read somewhere that if power is cut during a read/write function to the card it can effectively fry the card and it becomes unusable.

Did you try right-clicking My Computer-> Manage-> Disk Managment?

Some disks, when they're brand new, or totally effed up need to be initialized via Disk Management before showing up in your list of drives.

I think this only applies to win 2000, Xp and Vista

It's confirmed for now that this bricks the unit.

GP2X factory shipped with 4.0.2 seem to have a different hardware - not even the old gp2xrecovery works yet (did try that).

EvilDragon said:
It's confirmed for now that this bricks the unit.

GP2X factory shipped with 4.0.2 seem to have a different hardware - not even the old gp2xrecovery works yet (did try that).

something must have changed, i have issues with various emus and games not working, they go to a black screen after launch and thats it (mame and payback for example).

my f200 is new (recieved it last week) and came with 4.0.2 installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back