I want a GP32

rcx21000

Website
Visit site
I really want a GP32, but I need to know the answers to these questions:

1. How does a SNES emulator work, a SNES has D-Pad-L-R-A-B-X-Y-Select-Start all a GP32 has is D-Pad-L-R-A-B-Start?
2. Is the OS stored in the SMC card or the GP32?
3. How risky is it to upgrage the OS (I want to use Wind-Ups)
4. What is all this stuff that you have to do to get the .fxe's to work, wouldn't the company make it like that, and if I upgrade to Wind-Ups, does the .fxe problem get fixed?
5. Does the screen give off its own light?
6. Are there ANY SMC cards that are 256MB?

And, another question, where can I get it from where I don't have to have it go through/pay customs in germany? I'd rather pay +EUR100 than have it go through customs.

1- Snes9XGP allows you to either map 4-buttons only (for games that only use 4 bottons) or 6 buttons by having two 3-button setups that are swapped between with the fourth button.

2- Firmware on the GP32

3- Ever flashed the BIOS on a PC?

4- Apparently the latest version of Mr_Spiv's multifirmware has a version of wind-ups on it that works with all FXE files. Otherwise you'd need to get the official freelaunher from the GamePark website.

5- No. There's a lighting kit on the way, otherwise make sure the room you're in is well lit

6- Not yet.

--jo "directhex" shields

Does wind-ups start on startup, or do I have to manually start it after the main OS/Shell starts?

I'm new in this world but I can say a few words

Beware: snes emulation is rather slow. You'll have to wait for better version of emulators than the current one. Emulation seems to be very correct with gameboy/gbcolor (for most of games. some crash), pc engine, commodore 64, game gear (some pb with the sound), and so on. I prefer that you know this before buying one.

Then, developpement and research of smartmedia card are going to stop this year (I heard this last week by a friend). I will never be any smc more than 128MB.

No light on the gp32, but the screen and the color are better than the gba (I have compared both the day I received my gp32. It was last week-end).

gp32 payed 200€ in France in a French asian import shop

Mr Spiv firmware is excellent ! And I use pacrom more often than wind-ups (it's faster to select a game to launch).

winds up starts on startup if you say it to mr spiv firmware (yes, this firmware is really good !)

Can Wind-Ups start on startup with regular firmware, because I don't want to risk upgrading untill I have used it a bit and know how to use it. Or do I have to start regular firmware, then select the Wind-Ups .fxe?

As far as I know, it can start itself by default.

A little note on 256mb SMC cards...until someone decides to make 3V (or 3.3V, not sure) SMC's with that capacity, there won't be any available for the GP32. There ARE SMC's that are bigger than 128mb, but they require a higher voltage that the GP32 does not supply to it.

SNES emulation is not too great at the time. There is a Snes emulator that does work at a good framerate but has no sound.

I bought my GP32 from Gbax.com. They're in the UK and I paid around 130 euro for it. This is without a SMC and an optional reader/writer.

I think that I am going to order a GP32 from GBAX today!!! There is a full speed emu without sound for SNES?! If I can ge t full-speed on a handheld, I don't care about sound. I think that I am getting a 128SMC card + 24-48HR shipping with GP32. I do know about the lower priced SMC's in other places, but I am DESPRATE to get the GP32 ASAP. Also, I am selling some stuff to my brother to pay 1/2 of shipping. :p BTW, Dr Jones You signed up on my B-Day!!!

Another thing, too. How risky is it flashing the BIOS?? What is the safest upgrader, and if I use it how much chance do you think that I have of messing up my GP32?

some games on the snes emu work ok full speed etc on SnesEMU, on snes9x the sound is ok but bit slower i guess.

Actually I am going to wait until the backlights come out, because GBAx was down, and I found out that they are going to have GP32Backlight soon, so I'm going to wait (I wish there were GP32 rental spots :) )

whoa whoa wait a minute first of all, flashing the gp32 is ALOT more dangerous than flashing a PC. In the PC case the code is absolutely perfected and triple checked and even if something does go wrong it can be fixed even replaced.

If something goes wrong while flashing the gp32 its over forget it you now have a 160 dollar paper weight and chances are your going to have to flash back to the original version for some reason maybe... a new device or a new feature or something.

So unless you have the money to replace your gp32 I wouldnt suggest trying to flash it.

I decided to not flash the firmware, it seems too dangerous, but couldn't GamePark have made it so the BIOS is in ROM, but the OS is erasable, so you can even install a new OS even if there isn't any on the GP32 (the ROM could only be physicially changed, and also it would have something to start the OS install) That is what lego did with mindstorms, there is NO RISK at all, because you are only changing the OS.

Back