I Would Like Assistance In Reading A Schematic

dnlgreenwood

I'LL END YOU!!!
I need help reading some cryptic writing on a schematic... the bottom schematic on the picture below, to be exact.
-I am having a little trouble figuring out what "55T, 365WG 1CM DIA FORMER" means. (edit: it looks like 55 turns of 365 gauge wire around a ferrite rod. 1CM dia former means 1cm diameter former... do i make this myself or order it?)
-also for C7 it says: "1/2 2J (GANG)" so this must be a gang condenser. What does "1/2 2J" mean? I think "J" might mean Joule, though. Is that thing the same as a 100pF variable capacitor?
-what exactly do i need for the x1 audio driver transformer?
For my Electronics 11/12 class, I get to choose my own projects, and I thought of this:
schematic.png

short explanation:
the top schematic makes a tone (kind of like a "whoooooop, whooooop, whoooooop" sound)
the bottom schematic turns that into a shortwave radio signal
I am also going to make a shortwave receiver, or buy one... it depends...
the little schematic on the top-right is what I will be using to switch between a 9v battery and a DC adapter for power source. I don't know if I need the diodes or not (I doubt it, but I put it in there anyway)
the loudspeaker can also output that "whooop" sound or something from an input jack (that's "in1", forgot to make a note that said that "in1" is an input jack)
I will also have some on/off indicators (i drew one on the far right of the top left schematic... I will place more when I put the circuits on a breadboard)
I might change the filter/resonator to another frequency, maybe 10.7MHz.

Do you think it will work? Are any changes I should make to this or are there any suggestions you have?

I don't have to order or buy any of the parts (my teacher will be handling that)<br>I also have a list of all the parts so far (or most):
Tone generator circuit:
Resistors: (in ohms)
R1 1k
R2 5k6
R3 5k6
R4 1k
R5 10k
R6 1k
R7 1k
Transistors:
Q1 NPN 2N4401
Q2 PNP 2N5400, PN200, 2N4403, etc.
Capacitors:
C1 470uF 16v electrolytic
C2 0.33uF ceramic
C3 0.1uF (10nF) ceramic
C4 220uF 16v electrolytic
ICs:
U1 555 Timer/Oscillator
U2 555 Timer/Oscilator
Diodes:
D1 1N914
Speakers: 8ohm loudspeaker

AM transmitter circuit:
Resistors: (in ohms)
R1 68k
R2 15k
R3 100
R4 330
R5 33k
R6 10k
R7 1k
R8 1k
Capacitors:
C1 0.01uF
C2 0.01uF
C3 100pF
C4 100pF
C5 0.01uF
C6 0.01uF
C7 1/2 2J (GANG) (variable capacitor? (100 pF?))
Transistors:
T1 PNP BEL187
T2 PNP BF495
T3 PNP BF495
Coils:
L1 55T, 365WG 1CM Dia Former
L2 10mH RF coil
Other:
3.587MHz Resonator/Filter
X1 audio driver transformer
Antenna

Other stuff:
DPDT switch
maybe 4 diodes
some on/off flip switches
LEDs
9v battery connectors
a housing (either wood or plastic... I would prefer wood for that retro kind of look.)
2.5mm input audio jacks
maybe some 2.5mm audio cables... i need some extra anyway.
DC input jack

you may be wondering, "why not ask the teacher?". This is his second year teaching electronics, (it's my second year of learning electronics) so he is kind of still learning. He said so himself. (He teaches woodwork, mainly)
I think this will look like (with the housing... probably much larger than the circuit) a 5"x5" wooden box with a bunch of switches, a speaker, some audio input jacks, some LEDs and an antenna sticking out. (that's all on the top) and on the bottom there will be some rubber feet, a battery compartment, and my little DC input jack (I might use my Genesis/Game Gear AC to DC adapter or that cheap universal adapter that scares me because I am afraid of it breaking something).

Arr, just came across this thread. Sorry for being so late... I'm not entirely sure of what to do though, um, bump?

i think you're vaguely right with your assumptions, as for ferrite cores, just buy one, probably doesn't need to be exact anyway

though i'd recommend against just using someone elses circuit, go find a decent basic electronics book and build it from scratch, you'll learn a hell of a lot more that way, and it'll most probably work better

if i'm feeling really nice i might check back no this thread and help out, but don't bet on it :p

(source of wisdom: 6 years of formal electronics courses)

Back