Am I Doing Something Wrong Here?

Azure

Trust the recursion...
I have several midi's that I'd like to convert to wav, but because I don't feel like shelling out some cash just for converting midis, I decided to try it my own way. I figured, "Sound recorder gets it's audio source from the microphone jack, right? So, all I need to do is get the output the audio directly from my computer to my microphone jack." So I did that, but when I go to record in sound recorder, it doesn't record anything (Flat wavelength). I then remove the cable going into the microphone jack, take off the converter so that now it's only a rca jack, put it into my TV, and I then found the audio coming out of the TV, meaning that the midi audio is in fact in that cable being outputted. So, what am I doing wrong? I tried messing around a bit with the sound control properties but that got me nowhere.

My setup:
Audio going out of the audio out jack (Speaker jack) via this kind of cable:
cable.jpg

The other end of the adapter that's in the audio out jack has the audio cable shown in the above pic on the right (Barely showing on the right side of the pic).
That audio cable then goes through the same adapter and into the headphone jack, as shown in the above pic (There's also an audio in jack right above the microphone jack).

So, what am I doing wrong? I'd really like to get this done quickly because it's 3:00 a.m., I have other things to do (Read out of my C++ Book for one), I'm starving, and I'm a little tired. Thanks.

EDIT: Just remembered that there's a 60 second limit in sound recorder. So, how do I do it with Cool Edit Pro?

EDIT2: Nevermind, I got it. For some reason the front jacks don't work but the rear ones do. This topic can now be closed.

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 127
  • cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 125
  • cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 128
if you have a newer Creative card (Audigy 1 and up i think), you can just set the record line to "What U Hear" in the mixer app or windows' own panel and just push the record button on the sound recorder when the MIDI is playing.

Back