Icons Wanted

Last edited by a moderator:
i had guessed as much. but i'll try and get the borders to be sharper. but would it be possible to add libpng to inopia's menu code? then transparency would be a breeze.

AHHHH

Blasted Purple Tinge ...

It looks like we'll have to create mask first and then apply the purple. We'll end up with a slight white border, but that won't be noticable on a whitebackground until the selector bar is over top, at which time we'll have a whitish tinge (which may or not look so bad).

If you want to use antialiased icons, Squidge, I suggest you either use two images (selected and not selected) or somehow add alpha support.

EDIT: Switched to a host that didn't distort the recolors... But it did convert them to pngs. <_<

Hey All,

Just wanted to show everyone what I had for my background design, I think using the cool icons above with perhaps some transparency added, we can kick this little emu off pretty nicely.  :)  Below are some screenshots of the background image.

http://www.geocities.com/artilleron/SQIDGEMMX2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/artilleron/SQIDSNESBG.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/artilleron/sqidgemenutest.jpg

And finally the 24 Bit BMP in zip form below:

http://www.geocities.com/artilleron/SqSNES_BG.zip

Hope everyone likes!  :)

What about HydraLancers background? Are you going to use that because it's awsome.

Btw, if you dont use it then plz make the emu skinnable because that background is awsome.

Hey All,

Just wanted to show everyone what I had for my background design, I think using the cool icons above with perhaps some transparency added, we can kick this little emu off pretty nicely. :) Below are some screenshots of the background image.

http://www.geocities.com/artilleron/SQIDGEMMX2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/artilleron/SQIDSNESBG.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/artilleron/sqidgemenutest.jpg

This has to be the best I've seen by FAR. It captures the SNES experience the best, in my opinion, with the most appealing design that doesn't get in the way and that isn't TOO subtle that it isn't noticed. Great job, man.

ok...attempt #3

i'm not a pixel artist, so that's the best i'm going to be able to do unless someone can get the menu code to support alpha layer transparency (possibly using libpng to load pngs? i'm not a coder either but it doesn't seem like it'd be too tough?)

alternatively, the menu could use two images as minkoff suggested. but someone would have to modify the menu to do that, and again, i am no coder. so squidge, feel free to see how this version of the set looks.

rokdcasbah: Looking good :)

I could probably hack up the menu system to accept two different icons and switch between them depending on whether they are selected or not, but wouldn't that mean that the icons would have to be built around the selector bar color? (probably not a big deal actually...)

Anyway, for now, it looks great, so I think I'll leave it at that, and spend the hacking time on other parts of the emu.

whiskthecat: Yup, I like his background myself, and will be using it, but I need to hackup the menu first to support transparent backgrounds and a skinnable title bar. For in-game use, the fastest will be having the screen at the top-left, although I could use the hardware blitter to move it into the center. I don't know by how much that would slow it down.

Squidge: I would prefer if you leave the menu code hacking to me. That way I can alter stuff before a public release :)

in my opinion having full alphablending support would be better than having two images. However, I don't think BMP supports that (maybe 32bpp). I really don't see whats wrong with simple color masking (ie, purple is transparent). You might need to touch up your icons on the edges by hand but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Ofcourse I could write a complete implementation of a full GUI lib. But you graphics guys should learn to work with what you get from us coders :)

If I have the time I'll put up a win32 executable of the menu system for you guys to play with soon.

Inopia: I will of course send you any changes I make along with the source code so you can see if they are worthy or not of being placed into the public build. I think most of them will just be different ways of us thinking however.

Looking good :)

BTW, I've released a version of the emu with menu support now, so you can try out your icons "live" so to speak :)

I need to zip up some of these, and supply them as alternative icons sets for the next version.

when do you think the update with menu will be avalible at the archive for download??...

I had some problems with the emmu hanging after a sertain time I play its like its always hang after the same amount of time but not at the same part of the games...

WEEE
found the download at your site gonna try it right away...
download

Squidge: I would prefer if you leave the menu code hacking to me. That way I can alter stuff before a public release :)

in my opinion having full alphablending support would be better than having two images. However, I don't think BMP supports that (maybe 32bpp). I really don't see whats wrong with simple color masking (ie, purple is transparent). You might need to touch up your icons on the edges by hand but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Ofcourse I could write a complete implementation of a full GUI lib. But you graphics guys should learn to work with what you get from us coders :)

If I have the time I'll put up a win32 executable of the menu system for you guys to play with soon.

bmp's don't support alpha blending afaik. and as far as artists working within boundaries, i totally agree :D. but i'm terrible at pixel art, so i figured as long as no one had made hand drawn icons it'd remain an issue. but nem has made some excellent one. so squidge, by all means, go ahead and use those. they're sized better too. but you're right, you shouldn't be wasting any more time than you have to on the menu.

inopia, a win32 version of the menu would be great, but lose any sleep over it. also, what did you mean by "full gui lib"? again, i don't code (yet) but i had figured you could just implement libpng and use that to load in the icons? it doesn't matter all that much either way. i think with hydralancer's bg and nem's icons and the current menu code it should look pretty sweet already. so go ahead and spend your time on more important stuff :)

rokdcasbah: first off, I appreciate your work. I wasn't trying to talk you down in any way. I think your icons look cool. If you're not good at pixelling I'd suggest you draw a 1px wide black border around your icons. That'd look pretty nice and wouldn't require too much altering.

As for the alpha support, it would be possible to save as 32bit .bmp, and have one byte for the alpha per pixel. However, photoshop doesn't seem to allow me to save as a copy, although it can export a .bmp with an alpha channel. Technically it is possible, but you'll have to find a way to get photoshop to save in that format. Writing the code to use it wouldn't be much work.

PNG is right out, because I want to keep the menu system slim and not dependent on external libs. I'm going to use zlib to store the skin files and even that is something I don't like doing.

I'll put a win32 exe online tomorrow when I'm not stoned anymore. Then you can see how things'll look with your new icons as you're making them. Oh, and did I mention the entire menu system is skinnable in a way similair to winamp? So you can go wild with the way the windows look as well :)

Hmmm, not sure how to implement save states... Should there be a file menu, or should save/load state be in the main menu? I could implement a shortcut (say, hold down the joystick and select for 2 seconds rather than just select for two seconds to enter the file menu instead of the main menu, or maybe even just hold down the joystick for two seconds since it's not used for anything else...).

I think the "file menu" would be the best and least cluttered.

But! We need a icon for it, or it'll look out of place.

Since we are currently using rokdcasbah's icons (with the others pointed to in the readme file), we need something along the same theme. How are you fixed, rokdcasbah?

If I could give a suggestion as to what the icon should be, Maybe an SD card (like the floppy disk used for save a lot) with a Folder in front of it?

Back