iCP2: They're throwing in the towel.

Frankly, I think Craig just lost interest. Fairly soon after the KS ended, it was clear to me that at some point he just stopped driving the project.  Not sure if this correlates to him getting a job.  It's almost as if he saw no real profit in it , got a job anyway and decided it wasn't worth the hastle.
This video feels a bit odd to watch with hindsight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnCg-VBntis  

(nice first comment though)  :-D

But I think you are right, Craig likes the thrill and excitement of setting things up and being a 'fly by the seat of your pants' pioneer type.  Once this feeling wears off, he gets bored and things start to fall apart.

CJ
#1 Goal is, according to the video he made is:  But he did just that!  

Don't give up

Anyone who backed Craig after his well-documented Pandora disaster deserved all they got, in my opinion. A fool and his money, and all that...
I, like a lot of people, had never heard of Pandora or Craig's past when we backed the ICP2. And it certainly didn't help that so many people here were still defending him right up until the last couple of months. But thank you for your uninformed opinion.
My opinion is informed sufficiently to prevent me from making the mistake you did. Seeing that you didn't perform any actual research into the person you were throwing money at, I can categorically state that you are indeed a fool.
Coming here for the sole purpose of insulting people serves no purpose other than to demonstrate what kind of a person you are. I suspect, like most smug jackasses on the internet, your attitude quickly dissipates when confronting people in person. 

I've said this before, and it always seems to happen.

Craig does something to annoy people, a thread is started to discuss it, members start bashing each other.  Why does this always happen.

It's like  a house is robbed ,  the victim starts arguing with his wife about who's fault it is, meanwhile the burglar enjoys an Ale at the pub 

Anyone who backed Craig after his well-documented Pandora disaster deserved all they got, in my opinion. A fool and his money, and all that...
I, like a lot of people, had never heard of Pandora or Craig's past when we backed the ICP2. And it certainly didn't help that so many people here were still defending him right up until the last couple of months. But thank you for your uninformed opinion.
My opinion is informed sufficiently to prevent me from making the mistake you did. Seeing that you didn't perform any actual research into the person you were throwing money at, I can categorically state that you are indeed a fool.
Coming here for the sole purpose of insulting people serves no purpose other than to demonstrate what kind of a person you are. I suspect, like most smug jackasses on the internet, your attitude quickly dissipates when confronting people in person. 
I think ZX Dunny was rather referring to the huge amount of support Craig got from the Pandora community after the mess he created for the 1 Ghz, the preorders, the fake promises, the lies... I was actually very surprised myself to see so much support for a guy who's obviously a fraud.

I've said this before, and it always seems to happen.

Craig does something to annoy people, a thread is started to discuss it, members start bashing each other.  Why does this always happen.

It's like  a house is robbed ,  the victim starts arguing with his wife about who's fault it is, meanwhile the burglar enjoys an Ale at the pub 
You're absolutely right. I imagine it's because people get pissed off and unfortunately the person who deserves to bare the brunt of the anger is off hiding somewhere with no repercussions whatsoever. 

I think ZX Dunny was rather referring to the huge amount of support Craig got from the Pandora community after the mess he created for the 1 Ghz, the preorders, the fake promises, the lies... I was actually very surprised myself to see so much support for a guy who's obviously a fraud.
Nope, ZXDunny was calling everyone who backed the ICP2 a fool, you can't really read it any other way. It was the support in this community that made me believe, at least early on in the project, that Craig would eventually deliver, despite the delays. But once I found out what had really happened with the Pandora, it became apparent very quickly that Craig was almost certainly going to repeat history and screw the project through a combination of siphoning off funds and piss poor management. 

Well, the ICP went fairly well, without many issues. So even though the Pandora had a bad track record, the ICP was somewhat a redemption and made me a willing participant for the ICP2. If I would have only had the Pandora to go by, I would have never supported this project. I had no reason to think the ICP2 would have been any different than the ICP. So I feel good about the investment I made, and what I based that decision on.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
^ It is odd considering he had already done the ICP1, that he couldn't manage the ICP2 which was essentially an ICP1 with a keyboard.  Strange when you think about it like that

^ It is odd considering he had already done the ICP1, that he couldn't manage the ICP2 which was essentially an ICP1 with a keyboard.  Strange when you think about it like that
I agree^ I thought this was a no brainer production wise, but I guess I was very wrong :p

I'm still not sure the lights didn't doom this project, but who knows what happened really. Maybe someone will chime in at some point down the road, but I won't be holding my breath for a proper explanation or a refund.

Chris

I'm still not sure the lights didn't doom this project, but who knows what happened really.
Craig should have followed his own Top 10 Kickstarter advice (sic) : "stick to what you know".

You don't add lights if that's not planned from the very beginning. And if you do, you don't use it as an excuse all the time to say that it screwed down your plans. YOU are in charge, nobody forces you to change the plans. 

I always wondered as the project dragged on why he didn't abandon the LED change.  Any other project manager who saw the cost blowouts coming in would have. Ditch the LED population, get normal keymats (which are cheaper) and proceed on.

^ It is odd considering he had already done the ICP1 that he couldn't manage the ICP2 which was essentially an ICP1 with a keyboard.  Strange when you think about it like that
Unless I'm mistaken, the ICP1 had it's fair share of issues and was also rescued to a greater or lesser degree by others. The ICP2 is the first time Craig has been left to sink or swim on his own. But I can't remember where or exactly what I read, so don't quote me on that. 

Just imagine how bad this situation would have been if Craig had gone through with his iCP shareholder plan? There were community members who were eager to invest. Maybe even he had doubts in himself.

^ It is odd considering he had already done the ICP1 that he couldn't manage the ICP2 which was essentially an ICP1 with a keyboard.  Strange when you think about it like that
Unless I'm mistaken, the ICP1 had it's fair share of issues and was also rescued to a greater or lesser degree by others. The ICP2 is the first time Craig has been left to sink or swim on his own. But I can't remember where or exactly what I read, so don't quote me on that. 
Ed said so. Like 6 months of fuck ups. It was all behind the scenes though so we never knew.

What a shame, the idea was a winner, as far as I know it is the highest backed controller ever on KS.

To bad we couldn't have gotten ED or someone of his nature at the helm of the project.  

To know that the PCB is working and the firmware was a bees dick away from being finished makes this even more frustrating.  Most products fail beause there is no demand, here's a product with a far bit of demand and the hard bit mostly done and we can't have it. Super frustrating.

Can't touch this!

2212156.jpg

^ Yes that it is what I meant, Ed instead of Craig and no Craig involvement what  so ever.  

You'd be wrong about that - you don't get far in my line of work by shrinking away from confrontation.

In any case, yes, I am saying that everyone who backed the iCP2 is a fool. Categorically so. I was part of the original Pandora debacle, yes, but my getting on board was based on careful research and interaction with Craig prior to that. I was a part of the GP2X community, and I was a regular customer of GBAX.com where I had absolutely zero issues with Craig and the service he provided. On the surface, there was no evidence at all that things would go tits up.

They did though, and I was lucky enough to get my Pandora in the first batch. Having seen the fallout as Craig went from bad to worse, there was no way in hell I was going to back any kickstarter campaign of his, despite the successful funding.

My question is: Why, having done your research (and seen for yourself the enormous fuckup he made of the Pandora and to an extent the iCP1) did you back him?

My assessment stands, I believe.

D.

Back